HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staraman View Post
Long Beach has the 2nd largest gay population in Greater Los Angeles...
Some even say that Long Beach has a bigger gay population than the City of San Francisco.

But regardless, and I don't wanna stereotype, but because of that large demographic, you'd think the shopping would be better. You'd think that with a large gay population, Long Beach would have a Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and an H&M!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:57 PM
"Ar n' Duthchas"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yibs View Post
Nimdok, most of downtown still is a ghost town at night. People get mugged on pine ave all the time. I sometimes see handfulls of people walking around, and alot of the times it's groups of people that look shady. Comparing things now to where they were 20 years ago is not viable. Anything is better then what was here 20 years ago, that doesn't prove anything to me. Somebody was shot and killed last night on locust while being mugged, again! How many times do i have to read the paper and see more robberies downtown. more shootings/stabbings downtown? It just gets really old. and has stopped alot of people and businesses from moving here.
Please Boys Please ! Although there are reports of crime increase in downtown Long Beach on a weekly calendar. But as a new resident of the 133 Promenade I find that the shady people aren’t the problem, it’s the people that come from out of town to come in for the night for a wild one get completely wasted and try to tempt the other idiots running a muck on the streets, the homeless that are there are trying to do one thing get some work or make money in any way they can, the shelter takes them in but it still coasts them $12 a day. There not bad people. Your mistaking me for the shady folk im the one that is out trying to scare the people that are coming in not appreciating the town. And the streets are full of police at all hours. Just last night I decided to see how fast they can react to a 911 call with a scuffle in the parking lot underneath my balcony…45 seconds and there were two cars and two bikes. Pretty good work on the LB PD I can’t complain about that. And we know as things move forward with the up and out of it all you can image how much safer and nicer it will become.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 4:40 AM

Right on Irishman

Love the Promenade... I have a unit there, but it's leased out for the moment. Can't wait to move-in myself.

Yes I do think there's a bit too much negtivity on the board right now. Long Beach will continue to improve. It's just going to take some time.

My friend grew up in San Diego and has said repeatedly that it was far worse than the current state of Long Beach. He said 15 years ago nobody dared to venture downtown at night. So yes, maybe Long Beach could have done even more to progress, but then again San Diego did not suffer from the same economic blows.

Anyway, the current state of housing may actually help Long Beach as commercial real estate tends to fair well when housing is down and vica-versa so I think the retailers are coming, but the City planners knew they had to pull in more high-income folks first to lure in the luxury retailers as well.

BTW, neat job on your artwork

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 5:43 AM

right on too much negativity

yeah , lets paint this forum with an optimistic view of long beach...the first time i joined this here, negativity has been my observation with some of the posts...its perfectly permissible to welcome criticisms on the downside of this city but the contents of some posts just made me feverish, especially with one post citing that long beach will always be a "ghetto"....one could enumerate myriads of complaints about the city but to have this collective prejudice about this place is truly a display of pessimism and misery....and clearly, thats not the kind of atmosphere we want to have here albeit we want to air our positive and negative views about the city ...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 5:44 AM

right on too much negativity

yeah , lets paint this forum with an optimistic view of long beach...the first time i joined here, negativity has been my observation with some of the posts...its perfectly permissible to welcome criticisms on the downside of this city but the contents of some posts just made me feverish, especially with one post citing that long beach will always be a "ghetto"....one could enumerate myriads of complaints about the city but to have this collective prejudice about this place is truly a display of pessimism and misery....and clearly, thats not the kind of atmosphere we want to have here albeit we want to air our positive and negative views about the city ...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 6:04 AM
SC made me a hippie

We live in a society where negativity and fear are far more interesting to people than the good in life...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 4:33 PM

It's good to see fellow residents of the Promenade on the board!

Any news on the hotel thats is supposed to be going up across Broadway from us? My balcony looks right at it and I don't see them even clearing out the cars yet.

Also, has anyone been able to tour the West Ocean towers? I'd like to walk through them just to check them out.

I love my unit at 133 Promenade. It's definitely exceeded my expectations as a first time home buyer (even though I'm still waiting for my closet doors for the bedroom )

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 10:18 PM

right on

right on about the positivity. lets talk about the positive stuff happening in downtown...anybody got anything...any news?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 3:08 AM

Does anyone know whats going on at the corner of 3rd & Pine? Why did all of the businesses move out. Each corner is empty, and only the F&M Bank occupy one of them. Is there some new development happening because right now its now an eyesore, and what was once a corner with fairly decent activity now is dead.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Sep 13, 2007 at 8:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 6:24 AM

well that's not positive...anybody else?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Does anyone know whats going on at the corner of 3rd & Pine? Why did all of the businesses move out. Each corner is empty, and only the F&M Bank occupy one of them. Is there some new development happening because right now its now an eyesore, and what was once a corner with fairly decent activity now is dead.
Not trying to spread rumors but I heard there are discussions with H&M for that corner. In the meantime, the artwork being displayed looks quite nice.

The hotel is a mystery... but we are currently negotiating where our parking lot is going to be moved so...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsExchLoft_dweller View Post
Not trying to spread rumors but I heard there are discussions with H&M for that corner. In the meantime, the artwork being displayed looks quite nice.

The hotel is a mystery... but we are currently negotiating where our parking lot is going to be moved so...

An H&M would be a great catalyst to spark retail along pine and the upcoming promenade! I hope it comes through!

Yeah, the hotel and edgewater are taking way too long...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
"Ar n' Duthchas"

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy View Post
An H&M would be a great catalyst to spark retail along pine and the upcoming promenade! I hope it comes through!

Yeah, the hotel and edgewater are taking way too long...
Heya Hey whatever they come up with for restaurant / retail space to fill the nearby areas around the Promenade im all for it, ill be applying for work at one of them in order to make ends meet with this DAM HOA bill every month. Just can’t work at a Italian place because im Irish and Pinkberry is just....well Pinkberry. Been living above it for 5 months and only tried it once.

As for the hotel cant wait, I love new construction always a fan….disregarding the fact I no longer have a parking lot across the street where I can store my boat, anyone have an idea of anything in the area I might be able to look into storing it?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:37 AM

Wink long beach blvd

Do you guys think the long beach blvd corridor from 7th st to willow st should be like wilshire blvd in downtown los angeles in the future i think future developers should build more highrises along this important corridor and help put the metro blue line from willow station to transit mall station underground so that could free up more road space for car traffic or turn the right of way into a bike/jogging trail and have subway stations entrance and exits at the current ones.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 5:11 AM

That sounds like a cool idea, but i don't think the city has the money or know how to even start something like that. What is miracle mile now took decades to emerge. There is no quick fix to making long beach great, just needs lots of time, and really good planning. The hotel and edgewater should start breaking in 2-4 years from what i heard. Things take way too long in this town, but it is what it is.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 8:58 PM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 6:34 PM

Wink Construction time in long beach

How come some of the highrise projects in downtown like the edgewater condos takes so long to breakground cause on this thread the edgewater condos was to start in june or july but it might take 2 or 4 years to start construction also do you all have any pictures or an update on the project going on on long beach blvd and aneheim by the metro blue line station thanx.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 7:45 PM

The demand for urban high rise condos has dropped big time over the past couple years. Most of the already built places still have lots of empty units, so it's common sense that all of these plans are now on hold or could even be taken off. I had a thought after recently going to San Francisco, that a good sign to see when you have a bustling city is taxis driving around everywhere, and in long beach you have to call one, you can't flag one down like in other major cities. So to me that is a sign that will show if and when long beach makes it. Number 1 goal for downtown is safety. You can not expect business or tourists to come if they have to worry about violence or robberies, and i know many people myself who like east long beach, but don't go near downtown because of the problems, and i don't blame them.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 7:21 AM

Wink Long Beach future skyline

What do you guys think Long beach's skyline would look like 50 years from now

A. San Deigo

B.San Francisco

C.Los Angeles

D.Chicago

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 2:39 PM

Luxury hotel planned at Pike
Boutique hotel to include 138 rooms, rooftop pool; '09 opening expected.
By Don Jergler, Staff writer
Long Beach Press Telegram
Article Launched:09/26/2007 12:00:00 AM PDT

LONG BEACH - Construction on a new hotel in downtown Long Beach that was slated to be built more than two years ago is now underway - with a new completion date and a different brand.
The new hotel going up at the Pike at Rainbow Harbor shopping and entertainment center by the harbor is part of a new boutique hotel collection called AVIAs that will be better than the one originally planned, an executive with the hotel builder said on Tuesday.

The hotel, which will be situated next to the Pike parking structure, will have upgraded interiors and more services than the one originally planned, and it's set to open in the spring of 2009, an official for hotel builder Wichita, Kan.-based LogeWorks LP said Tuesday.

When it was first announced in 2004 that a long-term lease for the spot to build the hotel was signed, developers on the LogeWorks project said completion was slated for 2005.

The 7-story hotel will feature a rooftop pool, 138 rooms and a bar and a bistro on the ground floor.

Rates will be comparable to the higher priced hotels in downtown Long Beach, said LogeWorks executive Cheryl Doll.

"We are going to be competitive with the top of the market, with Westin (Long Beach) and the others," Doll said.

The hotel was originally slated as a Sierra Suites, but conversations with city officials and a look at the area's growing convention and tourism business convinced company executives that Long Beach was the spot for a boutique hotel, Doll said.

"We are going more upscale," she said.

Not only will be rooms will be more expensive than LogeWorks' Sierra brand hotels, but the hotel will offer bell and valet services, and have nicer amenities, such as bed turndown, she said.

The AVIA will feature an interior tree sculpture that replicates a mini-forest, and indoor lounges with retractable walls. In-room features include spa-inspired bathrooms, high-definition televisions and iPod connections.
The hotel will have the same number of rooms, and the same amount of meeting room space as the one originally planned, Doll said.

Setbacks with construction planning and the process of changing the development to a boutique hotel played a hand in delaying the project, Doll said.

"We were set back about six months by the concept shift alone," Doll said.

The first AVIA hotel breaks ground this month in Savannah, Ga., and is set to open in December 2008. Subsequent openings are planned in Long Beach and Napa.

LogeWorks executives chose the Pike because it's near the Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center, and it's near "the nighttime entertainment hub" on Pine Avenue, Doll said.

Tourism officials cheered the thought of bringing a boutique concept to Long Beach.

"It's a great location, and it's also a marketing niche that has not yet been filled in Long Beach - we do not currently have a boutique hotel," said Long Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau President and CEO Steve Goodling.

There are now plans for three boutique hotels in Long Beach.

The Coast Hotel near the Queen Mary is being converted to Joie de Vivre. The conversion to a boutique hotel is set to begin in the winter. The hotel is set to remain open during the change.

The Hotel Esterel, a four-star, 165-room boutique hotel on the Promenade is set to break ground at the end of this year.

Boutique hotels, often smaller and incorporating more intimate interior architectures, are gaining in popularity and are a sign that an area has a strong tourism base, Goodling said.

"The boutique lodging product tends to be edgier, and offer a more intimate feeling," Goodling said.

Don Jergler can be reached at don.jergler@presstelegram.com or (562) 499-1281.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West