HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 6:40 AM

^ you're welcome. I'm glad to hear it was good. I'm sorry I was unable to attend on such short notice. I think it's great they're organizing these activities but they should try let people know sooner. I just got the South Waterfront e-current newsletter last night, and posted some info here immediately. Anyone interested in these activities down here should definitely sign up for the newsletter. There are other activities coming up too which I did not post, such as Artist In Residences and so on.

to sign up for the e-current newsletter:
http://www.mylasso.com/Signups/south...ont_signup.php

Art, Culture & Science Committee: Featuring Mike Suri
Architectural and sculptural metalworker Mike Suri will join the Art, Culture & Science Committee to discuss his fine art and site based sculptural works. The meeting will take place in the commercial space of Atwater Place amongst Mike’s latest sculptures.

Uniquely designed sculpture and compositional objects by Mike Suri will be exhibited in the Atwater Place SW corner through October. The neighborhood showcase is a collaboration between Heidi McBride Gallery & Art Consultancy and South Waterfront Community Relations. Presented by Heidi McBride Gallery & Art Consultancy.

The committee will also be accepting nominations for the 2010 Art, Culture & Science Committee chair.

Art, Culture & Science Committee Meeting
Monday, October 5, 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Atwater Place, on the corner of River Pkwy. & Gaines St.
3660 SW River Parkway

NEXT meeting :
Monday, November 2, 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
PCC Dance Chair Heidi Diaz on dance appreciation

Heidi @ heidimcbridegallery .com for more information
>>SOUTH WATERFRONT RESIDENTS ONLY<<

Artist in Residence Kick-Off Event

Come to the artist kick-off event and meet Colin Ives, Professor of Digital Arts at the University of Oregon. Colin's residency in South Waterfront will be particularly relevant to nature lovers; his work blends art with ecology and activism.

During his residency Colin hopes to track urban wildlife sightings and stories that have taken place in South Waterfront. Bring your animal stories to the kick-off event, we'll record them and see where they take us...

South Waterfront Artist in Residence Program

Artist in Residence Kick-Off Event
Tuesday, October 6, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
John Ross Artist in Residence Studio
3623 SW River Pkwy., Portland, OR 97239

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
RSVP appreciated, but feel free to stop by
RSVP: communityrelations@southwaterfront.com or 503.222.7788

http://www.southwaterfront.com/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 3:36 PM

Some pics I took last night.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
What the hill is that, a tomacco plantation?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Cosmopolitan View Post
What the hill is that, a tomacco plantation?
It's sprayed on grass seed

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 8:39 PM

Never saw any thing like that, what is it copper sulfate? that would be anti-snails. I think.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 9:54 PM

^ you haven't seen those cheesy ads on tv for grass patch mix

it's like "GRASS SEEDS ON STEROIDS," man

https://www.patchperfect.com/

same concept:
The PATCH PERFECT growing secret is its powerful fertilizer mulch cocoon, that surrounds each seed, soaking up and retaining water. It's like each seed has its own eco system, for faster, healthier germination.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowat;4487090/
it's like "GRASS SEEDS ON STEROIDS," man
hope it doesn’t get caught with a doping test.

Last edited by MR. Cosmopolitan; Oct 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 5:33 PM

List prices on remaining units at the John Ross were just reduced again. There are 1205 sf corner 1 bedroom + den units for 294k-300k: $244-$250 per square foot. 1800 sf units for high 400's: $267/sf.

At those prices, the new park nearing completion, and Mirabella nearing completion of major construction, I would imagine the unsold JR units will finally move.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 1:01 AM

This was taken today 10-3-09.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 1:05 AM

A close up of the unfinished water feature. Trying to imagine how this is going to work.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 3:19 PM

sunrise/moonset 10-6-09

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:26 AM
shozbot!

It took a while, but the Mirabella website has it's latest construction update, dated Sept. 25th, with pics and info:

http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/p...nstruction.htm

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 11:50 PM

The Mirabella Cam will be down for an unspecified amount of time. I am upgrading to Windows 7! I'll get it back up as soon as possible.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:43 PM

some tower balcony railings being installed:

I'm away till the end of the month now, so no updates from me for a while.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the updates everyone. Enjoy vacation, Sowat--by the time you return Autumn colors will grace the hill. And Cronked, give a brief yay or nay on the Windows upgrade after you are acquainted with it. Early next year we will take a hardhat walk through of our Mirabella apartment--am looking forward to that. Then I will have something useful to contribute to this site!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:55 PM

The webcam is back up at http://98.246.156.74:8080/

Windows 7 is great so far. The easiest Windows to install! You don't realize how much stuff you use on your computer until you have to reinstall everything!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 6:06 PM

Does the zoom function work on your camera? Great view by the way.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 6:55 PM

Nope, no zoom. I have never been able to get the zoom to work. I don't think it is an optical zoom anyhow. I think it just blows up the existing image.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 4:24 AM

Very bad news.

Bids for South Waterfront pedestrian bridge far exceed budget
By Ryan Frank, The Oregonian
October 13, 2009, 8:35PM

Contractors' bids to build a pedestrian bridge that connects Portland's westside neighborhoods to the South Waterfront district and the Willamette River have come in 68 percent over budget.

The city of Portland had budgeted $7 million for construction work on the 660-foot bridge spanning Interstate 5 under the aerial tram cables. But the lowest bid was $11.8 million, said city project manager Jody Yates.

The higher-than-budgeted bids will probably delay construction that was supposed to start this fall and finish late in 2010. PCL Construction Services submitted the low bid among four. The high bid was $13 million, Yates said.

The Oregon Department of Transportation is handling the bids and opened them Thursday. Wynnette Gentemann, manager of the department's construction contacting, said the state is still reviewing the project to find out why the bids were so much higher than the city's estimate.

Yates said the city will probably reject the bids because it doesn't have the money to pay for them. The city will try to find more money and look for ways to cut costs with changes in the bridge's design, she said.

The Gibbs Street Pedestrian Bridge has been a key public project in the neighborhood since Portland's City Council approved a $2 billion deal to redevelop the South Waterfront district in August 2003. People who live up the hill from South Waterfront bitterly opposed construction of the aerial tram that connects Oregon Health & Science University to the riverfront.

The bridge has been seen as a bit of payback for the neighborhood, providing them access to the river that was cut off years ago by the interstate.

The city's estimate of $7 million was only to cover construction costs. Planning, architectural and other costs brought the total cost to about $11. 4 million in the city's budget projections. But the construction bids alone exceeded the total projected costs.

The costs were to be covered by federal transportation funding, fees paid by developers and property tax revenues raised through an urban renewal district that includes the South Waterfront district.

The higher-than-expected bridge costs are the latest in a string of challenges as the city and developers try to transform the former industrial district into the next generation Pearl District.

The problems started with the budget-busting aerial tram and continue today with a condo glut, empty retail storefronts and continued delays in an affordable apartment project.

As with the tram, bridge planners were pursuing an iconic design for a eye-catching entry into Portland for 100,000 Interstate 5 drivers.

The cable-stay design included concrete supporting piers spliced into V-like angles. On clear days, bikers and walkers on the bridge headed for the river could have Mount Hood framed by the bridge supports. Yates said earlier this year that the bridge "might become the Kodak moment of Portland."

Walkers would enter the bridge on a gentle slope from Southwest Kelly Avenue. They'd leave the bridge on the east end on a switchback stairway to Southwest Moody Avenue or ride an elevator through a glass tower.

Planners estimated that 3,000 to 4,000 people a day would use the Gibbs Street bridge for commuting or recreation.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 7:09 AM

I'd rather they wait for the funds and build it as planned than "value-engineer" the design and create an eyesore in the process. We need to actually do something right, rather than eviscerate it like so many other projects in town that began with soaring aspirations only to be cut down to size due to budget concerns.

I thought this was basically a done deal - what a letdown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland