HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 22, 2006, 5:17 AM
Posh

Don't know why this thread was in General Development instead of City Compliations, so I moved it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2006, 10:14 PM

grrrr. unintended double post.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2006, 10:14 PM

I've admired Providence for years and years. I love the irregularity, the age, the evidence of history from every century, the older office structures, narrow streets, upbeat newer installations and open spaces.. the physical location, the harbor, old powerplants and industrial evidence around..a real cites' city! It's the best smaller/midsize city in New England for my money!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2006, 11:06 PM
New Englander

Just drove past Providence on 95 today. The tower crane for the Westin expansion tower is almost assembled. The Masonic Temple reconstruction also has a huge tower crane assembled on site as well. One Ten Westminster should start construction in the first half of this year as well.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2006, 9:33 PM
New Englander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYC
Just drove past Providence on 95 today. The tower crane for the Westin expansion tower is almost assembled. The Masonic Temple reconstruction also has a huge tower crane assembled on site as well. One Ten Westminster should start construction in the first half of this year as well.
Yes, the tower crane at the Masonic Temple is the one that was at the GTECH site.

The one at the Westin is too short right now, another one will be installed later, the current one is sitting where the tower will be, I assume the one on site now will be constructing the shorter wing closer to the mall. Work has begun on an elevator shaft, and the building should start rising at the rate of one floor a week sometime in February.

The backers of the Westin project are quite pleased about being the first ones to be going vertical. Waterplace broke ground first but ran into some site related delays. The site is on fill and they encountered all sorts of stuff in the ground as they drove the piles.

OneTen Westminster is switching from steel construction to concrete. Site clearing is continuing, then they start to drive piles before we see any vertical progress.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2006, 10:32 PM

that makes sense about the westin crane... i kept looking at it and thinking how short it is especiallly when the new tower is supposed to be taller than the existing westin. i'm a little disappointed that the original design for the new westin tower wasnt built, something about that skinny slender tower i really liked, although the current design should be a fairly good addition to the skyline.

the design for one ten westminster is awesome

Old Posted Jan 26, 2006, 11:30 PM
New Englander

Emporis says that One Ten Westminster is now under construction. I will likely be in Providence on Saturday to see the auto show. When I am there I will walk by the One Ten site to see if it is really under construction. I wasn't expecting it to be under construction until a few months from now, but we'll see, maybe it already is. If these new towers are a success, and the local real estate economy stays hot, I can guarantee that more high-rises will come down the pipeline for Providence.

In other news, Emporis now has the new GTECH headquarters building listed as a low-rise. This I can understand. I never was able to count 13 floors on that building, only ten.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 4:50 PM
New Englander

Quote:
Emporis says that One Ten Westminster is now under construction. I will likely be in Providence on Saturday to see the auto show. When I am there I will walk by the One Ten site to see if it is really under construction. I wasn't expecting it to be under construction until a few months from now, but we'll see, maybe it already is. If these new towers are a success, and the local real estate economy stays hot, I can guarantee that more high-rises will come down the pipeline for Providence.
Demolision of existing buildings on the site is in progress. But they haven't started construction of the new building. There's a building on the Weybosset Street side which they are saving the facade of, so the demolision work is rather delicate there and should take a little while longer yet. They need to shore up this building before they can start driving piles for the tower.

Quote:
In other news, Emporis now has the new GTECH headquarters building listed as a low-rise. This I can understand. I never was able to count 13 floors on that building, only ten.
GTECH was proposed as 13 floors, several floors were to be speculative as GTECH will not fill the building. They got a little bit of cold feet on the speculative space and knocked the building down to 10 floors. Emporis is just catching up it seems.

Personally, as much as I think taller is better, 10 is better than 13 at this site. 13 would have resulted in too much of a shadow impact on Waterplace Park in the afternoon.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2006, 8:36 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

It's great to see Providence growing its downtown. Providence is hawt.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2006, 8:45 AM
Bellevue in 2006

Nice projects.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2006, 1:20 PM
New Englander

They are still doing demo work on the One Ten site, so Emporis was wrong about that one.

On the Westin site, they were setting up the tower crane on Saturday.

On the Intercontinental site, they were still doing foundations.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 1:03 AM

wikipedia

If anyone can find any pictures that can be distributed, I'd love to see wikipedia's Providence page have some toward the end of its "history" section.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 8:59 PM
New Englander

Quote:
On the Intercontinental site, they were still doing foundations.
The first tower crane at the Intercontinental/Waterplace site went up last week, and the second one started going up today.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2006, 1:26 AM

new pics!

I have many new pics in and around the area. Unfortunately, all of these pics are HUGE and I can't figure out how to shrink them, so here are links:

Gtech shots

The Gtech headquarters as seen from exit ramp 22A:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence003.jpg

Gtech from Kennedy Plaza:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence008.jpg

From Intercontinental:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence012.jpg

From front:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence014.jpg

From Providence Place:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence015.jpg

From Prospect Park:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence023.jpg

OneTen
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence004.jpg
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence005.jpg
Demolition well underway next to the Arcade for OneTen. That is a large footprint for a building.

Intercontinental
Both cranes are up:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence010.jpg

Shot from the mall:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence016.jpg

Westin

Nothing other than a crane showing yet:
http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence009.jpg

Then there's this question of this mysterious empty lot by the train tracks on South Main St. It's fenced off, but no signs indicating what it will be. Anyone know what this is about?

http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence020.jpg

Last edited by loodog; Mar 26, 2006 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 5:15 PM

Update on OneTen, the 40-story luxury condominium tower in downtown Providence (To be Rhode Island's tallest):
New website up with video rendering and new still image renderings plus pictures of the views from the future building:
www.onetenprov.com
The showroom should be opening very soon and groundbreaking short be within the next few months.
On the bad side, it has an auto-drop-off on the first floor of the building along the main Westminster Street, this can be seen in the video.

For info:
PROPOSED: OneTen Westminster, Providence, Downcity
Urban Planet

Old Posted Apr 18, 2006, 8:52 PM
New Englander

Quote:
Originally Posted by loodog
Then there's this question of this mysterious empty lot by the train tracks on South Main St. It's fenced off, but no signs indicating what it will be. Anyone know what this is about?

http://students.goucher.edu/jtenenba...vidence020.jpg
That's Capitol Cove, which has been rumored to be breaking ground in "a few months" for what seems like, a few years. Phase one includes townhouse style condominiums/apartments along the water. Phase two is supposed to include some sort of tower.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 10:07 PM

Does anyone know if some sort of foundation work began on One Ten yet??
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 2:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ i took this a couple of weeks ago of that site:

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 12:49 AM
New Englander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazpmk
Does anyone know if some sort of foundation work began on One Ten yet??
They've pulled their permits and work should begin 'soon.'

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 9:10 PM

proposed office tower that will never see the light of day

Taken from:
"http://www.projo.com/business/content/projo_20060806_office06.1a8881f.html"

Building up downtown

After a long drought, the Providence market is about to be flooded with new office space

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, August 6, 2006

BY ANDREA L. STAPE
Journal Staff Writer

The plan calls for spending $200 million to build 496,000 square feet of office space in a 22-floor tower.

The Procaccianti Group last month unveiled an ambitious agenda to replace the former Providence police and fire station, a downtrodden building with broken windows and a broken spirit that it bought from the city for $3 million. If the La Salle Square tower comes to fruition, it will be the largest office building in downtown Providence.

At the same time Procaccianti is proposing the new office tower, it is renovating 33,000 square feet of now-vacant office space on two floors at 111 Fountain St., across from the Rhode Island Convention Center.

And about 55,000 square feet of brand new office space is up for lease in the city's first office building in 16 years -- two floors GTECH Holdings Corp. won't be using in its new headquarters going up across from the Providence Place mall.

After an extensive drought, it seems like the Providence market is about to be flooded with new office space.

The surge addresses a need, say local commercial real-estate experts, since over the past few years there has been interest from large tenants in moving into downtown, but no contiguous office space that could accommodate a big, relocating tenant.

The vacancy rate for Class A, or high-end, office space in Providence is low, about 12 percent, according to a report by Hayes & Sherry, a Providence-based commercial real-estate firm. It's Below the national vacancy rate, which was about 13.6 percent at the end of last year, according to the National Association of Realtors.

However, expressing interest in moving downtown and making a commitment to lease 50,000 or 100,000 square feet of Class A office space are two different things.

The question remains: Can Providence actually draw new office tenants with a need for a large amount of high-end space into the city?

"I do think that if there were options that were coming online, there would be more people taking a serious look at Providence," said Peter Hayes, a broker with the Providence office of Hayes & Sherry.

BUT JUST having new space may not be enough to seal a deal.

It took a lucrative 20-year lottery contract with the state to convince GTECH to move its corporate headquarters, and about 700 people, from West Greenwich to Providence. The company plans to move into the building, on the corner of Francis Street and Memorial Boulevard, at the end of the year, taking over all but two floors.

For the Procaccianti tower to become a reality, there will have to be a similar situation, according to local real estate experts.

"Clearly, the Procacciantis have a challenge to put a tenant in the building -- ordinarily these buildings don't come out of the ground without a tenant," said Charles Francis, president of C.B. Richard Ellis Rhode Island, a commercial real estate firm.

In today's market, developers just can't afford to build speculative office buildings, said Dick Galvin, president of Commonwealth Ventures, one of the co-developers of the GTECH office building.

While Providence has seen a resurgence in recent years, with high-end condominiums being built and additional hotels dotting the skyline, the market still isn't so red-hot that developers are willing to take the risk that they could get stuck with an empty building, he said.

"Unlike other markets, there's not going to a be a rash of new announcements -- you're just not going to see a rash of spec office space," said Galvin.

In addition, the high cost of construction materials and fuel is putting a damper on speculative office construction nationally, according to the Realtors group.

Procaccianti, however, says it's "bullish" on the Providence market. The company points to the condos going up in the city -- some of which the company is building just a block away from its proposed office tower -- as magnets for business.

"There is a vitality in the city. I think there are opportunities where smart-thinking, green-thinking companies want to get close to the universities and the wealth that is in the city," said Tom Niles, executive vice president of development for Procaccianti. "I'm not saying it's going to be a neutron wave, but I think it's going to be a slow, steady wave."

For now, trends in the industry are pointing to additional interest in downtown office space after years of companies choosing sprawling suburban office campuses over urban life, according to regional real estate experts.

Over the past couple of years, Boston has seen a number of companies -- including the consulting firm Accenture and publishing firm Pearson Education -- move back to the city from the suburbs, said David Fitzgerald, executive vice president and partner of C.B. Richard Ellis in Boston. During the second quarter of 2006, vacancy rates for office space in downtown Boston were under 10 percent, according to a report by C.B. Richard Ellis.

"So many young professionals like to live in an urban environment. So the businesses that had moved to the suburbs, if they are competing to get the best people, are saying, 'Let's move back' " to where the employees are, said Fitzgerald.

In addition, smaller companies are giving up office space in the city's financial district to move to Back Bay to be closer to where people are living, he said.

"The high-end hedge funds and some of the money managers have also chosen to go to the Back Bay and I think that's because a lot of the empty-nester owners of these businesses are living in the city and are choosing to walk to work," said Fitzgerald.

In Providence, Commonwealth Ventures has seen businesses filling up smaller amounts of space in One Financial Plaza, a building the company co-owns just blocks from GTECH headquarters. Recently, Commonwealth has signed leases with Oracle and Oppenheimer, said Galvin.

Plus, Fidelity Investments recently spent $13.9 million to renovate a vacant office building next to the Providence train station and moved 325 people into 113,000 square feet of space. Galvin's company on Wednesday bought the building for $20 million.

"In the Northeast, it's all a function of labor pool and jobs," said Galvin. "I think there is a growing trend towards people wanting to be in urban areas so they can access all the amenities of urban living," which will cause companies to follow, he said.

WHAT HAPPENS with the two floors Galvin is leasing in the GTECH building and the two floors at 111 Fountain St. over the next year or so could give some insight into what may happen with the proposed Procaccianti tower.

Galvin is looking to lease about 55,000 square feet of office space on two floors, at the top of the new modern, glass GTECH building downtown. The lease rate for the two top floors of the building will be the most expensive on the Providence office market, $38 and $40 a square foot, according to a study of Providence's commercial real estate market by Hayes & Sherry. GTECH will be the primary office tenant, and will have its name on the building.

Commonwealth Ventures does not yet have a taker for the top two floors, although it is in preliminary discussions with several parties, said Galvin.

"We want to have someone in the first or second quarter of next year. . . We've got to get GTECH in and happy," said Galvin.

Procaccianti doesn't have a tenant for the yet-to-be-renovated Fountain Street property either, although it is talking to some in-state tenants, said Ralph Izzi, spokesman for the Procaccianti Group.

The company also sees a market in businesses interested in moving their people out of a variety of buildings across the city into new space in one main property, said Niles.

But while Procaccianti says it's bullish, the development company has also been careful to give itself plenty of time to find a tenant. It doesn't plan to finish the proposed tower at the former public safety site until 2010.

"For years, we have had no new product [in Providence]. Now, with GTECH and Procaccianti there will be competition to see if these buildings fly," said Francis. "We have a better shot than ever of getting someone from out of state with all that's going on."

I can't imagine there being a market for so much upperscale office space. There have been previous proposals for the old police/fire station including the dreaded hotels and condos and they've all seen the shredder. The only possible way I could the demand would be pulling companies from Boston with the appeal of cheaper space and a lower cost of living, except RI has a higher sales tax.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations