HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:40 AM
Meh

That's probably just a conceptual design. It won't be a finished design until they start pouring concrete.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:46 AM

Apologies if these have been posted elsewhere (I haven't seen them) but here's a couple of renderings for Seaholm

Seaholm Entry (zoomed in section of what's on the Seaholm site):

Seaholm Garage with ground level retail

I found these on TBG's website

http://tbg-inc.com/#!/folio/seaholm-...ant-austin-tx/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 7:39 AM

Nice, i didn't realize they were planning on putting underground retail underneath the old powerplant.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:33 PM

Looks great, now lets get started on this already!!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Nice, i didn't realize they were planning on putting underground retail underneath the old powerplant.
The underground component of the site has always been there, it's got a humongous basement. So it's cool they are going to use it for retail!

Going to some of the parties/events at Seaholm, I always wondered how it was no one accidentally fell in... Also, doesn't that underground area include a tunnel under Ceasar Chavez to the water intake station on Ladybird Lake?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
So it's cool they are going to use it for retail!
so is it gonna be like some mall? because i'm having a hard time picturing in my head just what type of facility this is gonna be. i hope its not gonna be another dobie mall type... because those types of malls just don't work. there are always generic retail stores in them. so i'm wondering what type of place this is gonna be. unless its something entirely unique and different.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
so is it gonna be like some mall? because i'm having a hard time picturing in my head just what type of facility this is gonna be. i hope its not gonna be another dobie mall type... because those types of malls just don't work. there are always generic retail stores in them. so i'm wondering what type of place this is gonna be. unless its something entirely unique and different.
I've always envisioned it as an extension of the type of shopping found on 2nd street. No doubt it will likely be primarily food and beverage, as that seems to be what Austinites love to spend their money on. Then when they can't find a cheaper price at Amazon, they resort to local retail. Even though I love not paying sales tax, I think its time to level the playing field and have Amazon charge state taxes everywhere.

Not sure what you mean by generic retail store? I can tell you there is nothing generic about owning and operating one. Very tough business.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:38 PM

Whats going to happen to the Intake Facility? I say a nice boating facility or a Museum or something worth while.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Ive wondered the same thing.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:10 PM
~Hook'em~

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I've always envisioned it as an extension of the type of shopping found on 2nd street. No doubt it will likely be primarily food and beverage, as that seems to be what Austinites love to spend their money on. Then when they can't find a cheaper price at Amazon, they resort to local retail. Even though I love not paying sales tax, I think its time to level the playing field and have Amazon charge state taxes everywhere.

Not sure what you mean by generic retail store? I can tell you there is nothing generic about owning and operating one. Very tough business.
generic as in the stores that you find in dobie mall. nobody really goes to them. pedicure salons, crappy chinese food and whatnot. but that comic book store was cool. i dunno if its still there.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:21 AM

Has anyone seen this?? Better yet, does anyone have a subscription to ABJ, and wouldn't mind sending me the full article?!!?!?

New renderings of Austin's Seaholm project

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...lic-space.html

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:46 AM

Why don't we see more water features such as fountains in any of the renderings of the public spaces? it gets hot here in the summer. We could use a huge fountain like the one in Chicago, you know the one featured on the old sitcom "Married With Children".

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:42 AM

Buckingham fountain

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
Meh

Auditorium Shores west of the SRV statue would be a nice place for a fountain like that. They could use water from the lake.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 2:48 AM

Problem is, who would pay for it and maintain it. In my travels I always seem to end up checking out the city's signature fountains, Washington DC, Vegas, NYC, Rome, heck, even Poughkeepsie NY has a few really large fountains. I look at the renderings of the public space around the power plant and wonder why there aren't any plans for impressive sized water features and fountains. Besides the obvious beauty of a fountain, they help cool down the immediate area, and help drown out some of the traffic noise. I know we have some decent fountains, especially on the TU campus, but we could use more dramatic ones DT. If we did, I might actually get out of my car and walk around more.

Last edited by the Genral; May 23, 2012 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 3:01 AM
~Hook'em~

Maybe Republic Park? Or the park by the convention center would be cool only there is the old fire station there.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 5:21 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 6:25 PM
Meh

The article includes a nice aerial photo and map showing the site in relation to downtown.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...r-2372704.html
Quote:
Austin weighing changed deal to develop downtown water plant site

By Sarah Coppola

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 10:43 p.m. Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Published: 10:37 p.m. Wednesday, May 23, 2012

One of the biggest downtown Austin developments ever would take shape on a valuable city-owned block over the next several years under a deal the City Council will consider today.

The council will decide whether to sell the former home of the dismantled Green Water Treatment Plant to Trammell Crow Co. for $42.4 million to turn into a $500 million mix of stores, restaurants, offices and housing.

It has said it plans to build 1.75 million square feet, including two towers, each at least 30 stories tall, with 826 apartments; a 17-story hotel; a 28-story office tower; and 82,000 square feet of retail.

Nearly 1,900 people will work at the development when it's complete, and 1,200 will live there, according to city memos. Trammell Crow has offered other public benefits, including money for public art, on-site music programs, and discounted office space for nonprofits.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:52 AM

Does anybody know anything about the Seaholm item (#9) on the June 7 Council Agenda?

http://austin.siretechnologies.com/s...doctype=agenda

It looks like the developer is asking to not have an retail in the power plant, and just have office. I don't think I like that idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin