HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:02 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danma View Post
What a bunch of complainers on the CBC website. I've never seen such a collection of maladjusted angry people. March on city hall for a bridge paid for by the province? Idiots.
I just thought AGAIN that commentary like that from anonymous sources is totally useless.

I wonder what kind of commentary we'd see if people were forced to put their actual names down.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:06 PM

Very nice but I would have liked a bit of an arch to it, not a lot, just a bit. I just don't trust the nay-sayers. I hope its built very quickly!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I just thought AGAIN that commentary like that from anonymous sources is totally useless.

I wonder what kind of commentary we'd see if people were forced to put their actual names down.
However a devils advocate could say the same thing about forumers on here. Well asides from those of us that are pretty much known beyond our avatars here.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:44 PM

I really like the bridge it will really stand out

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:54 PM
Community Guy

good but nothing that will be really symbolic or amazing IMO

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
Bring buildings to life

Sweet looking bridge! Relatively simple, yet beautiful. Definitely unique too.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
However a devils advocate could say the same thing about forumers on here. Well asides from those of us that are pretty much known beyond our avatars here.
Ha! I know you. Take that. What are you going to do about it? Oh no, wait, you know me too. Damn. I guess there is no winning.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:58 PM

Its a good looking structure, but likr many of the other people commenting, its a little under-whelming considering the hype about it.

If there had been build-up to its reveal, then i would be much more excited

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:09 AM
REALTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Brushed aluminum would have been nicer. I wonder what was changed from the original design? My guess would was they added the red.
I totally agree about the brushed aluminum. Maybe with slight hints of red between the lines...

I was extremly excited for the unveiling, but i must have hyped myself up because this isn't doing it for me. It seems clumsy, slapped together.

I'm just glad that we got the unveiling of cantos this past week, makes it a lot easier to take this bridge, when we have something as great as any of the 5 cantos designs will be.

Either way, I'm happy that this bridge it being built, simply for what it means in terms of this city's future. Can't want for the competition for the next bridge.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:15 AM
Calgarian

7/10.

It's good but not great so I'm a bit underwhelmed. Plus red seems to fade more than other colours and will look tired after a few years.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoflamesGo View Post
I totally agree about the brushed aluminum. Maybe with slight hints of red between the lines...

I was extremly excited for the unveiling, but i must have hyped myself up because this isn't doing it for me. It seems clumsy, slapped together.

I'm just glad that we got the unveiling of cantos this past week, makes it a lot easier to take this bridge, when we have something as great as any of the 5 cantos designs will be.

Either way, I'm happy that this bridge it being built, simply for what it means in terms of this city's future. Can't want for the competition for the next bridge.
I am guessing cladding it with brushed aluminum would add substantially to the cost. It would also make grafitti removal quite expensive. With the red, any grafitti can be just painted over.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:18 AM

I wonder if this project is going to get mentioned on his website now?

edit: I was referring to Calatrava.

Last edited by Ramsayfarian; Jul 29, 2009 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:57 AM

Well Global just said they haven't gotten any positive comments about the bridge yet, just negative. So let 'em have it

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:07 AM
The City That Moves

This bridge is an incredibly sleek connection between the surrounding communities and exceeded my expectations.

I had been anticipating an arched design as I had thought that an arch would be necessary to cross a span of that size. And I had virtually written off any sort of truss bridge, as I did not think that sort of design would demonstrate enough creativity. Also, suspension or cantilevered design were out due to the helicopter landing pad height restrictions.

As a cycling\pedestrian commuter, I was worried about an archway, particularly as arches are not very wheelchair friendly, and even a steep arch means that you can have to shift gears on the up and down slope when biking. I imagine it will be a very 'stiff' bridge and not have any synchronous lateral excitation as compared to a suspension bridge.

This bridge will be incredibly fun and psychedelic to cross, whereas an arched bridge would be easy to ignore the design of the bridge.

Not only that, but there are few helix shaped bridges, and you can really see that not only is Calatrava a great architect, but a great engineer as well. The lighting and canopy are also important details that serve to enhance the pedestrian realm.

To me, this bridge in it's long, tubular, and simplest route form embodies a lot of the Calgarian spirit of pragmatism and accomplishes exactly what it is supposed to. The flashiness of the red accents is both a patriotic colour and is a colour synonymous with the city (Calgary Stampeders, Calgary Flames, Red Mile, Calgary Stampede Exhibition). It also serves to contrast with the wall of blue office towers.

I honestly could not imagine a better bridge design that is more fitting for Calgarians and cannot wait to begin biking across!

Last edited by Radley77; Jul 29, 2009 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:52 AM
Khan

To me, this bridge is beautiful. I think it is truly elegant. I don't know if it will become a real landmark, but I don't care. Above all it is a bridge, and it is a very good bridge, an extraordinary bridge. I applaud the mayor, city council, and all of the civil servants who contributed to this project.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:53 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I like it, but I feel like it's missing something... hmmm oh I know.

I'll expect a cheque in the mail.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
I am guessing cladding it with brushed aluminum would add substantially to the cost. It would also make grafitti removal quite expensive. With the red, any grafitti can be just painted over.
When did cost become an issue?

I'm pretty sure you can coat the aluminum to make it graffiti resistant.

I've been going through the CBC comments and I think this is my favourite one so far: "Love the fire truck red. Why not go full out Windows 3.1 Hot Dog stand and make it fire truck red and super deep yellow?

if you're going to paint it ugly, go all the way."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:17 AM

Love the bridge design. And that it is flashy with that great red colour. All the best. We need some flash in this city!

One thing that strikes me about the whole debate about this bridge... it is only $25 million. Hey we can built interchanges all over the place without a thought but $25 million on a pedestrian bridge... and what was the cost of the expansion to the water treatment facility that didn't work out? Rick should think about that one.

One other thing... contests are not always the way to go for public projects... they often do yield the best results... wasn't our new city hall the design from a competition?

Anyhow, great to see this and proposals like the one's for Cantos... that is what this city needs... now for the Epcor Centre...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:19 AM
IMHO

It's good...

Okay, I'm going to break this down into aesthetics and function:

Aesthetics 8/10
I am somewhat underwhelmed by the design - my initial reaction was "it's a straight tube?!" It could've used some curvature, either with an shallow arch across the river, or with some curved entrances on the ends to break up the straight lines of the main shape. On further reflection, I think it's going to look pretty nice close up, with the downtown in the background. I'm already thinking of photos with Canterra / Centennial in the background. From the inside, if it comes out anything like the renderings, is going to be spectacular. I hope the LED lights are pointed to the center beam so they don't reflect off the glass at night - need to be able to see out.

My favorite spot to sit and meditate in Calgary is the west end of Prince's Island, right beside where the bridge is to be built. I'm thinking, net positive addition - but Zen is a fickle thing, and I won't really know until they are done building this thing and I'm sitting there contemplating it. I'm okay with the color. At some point it will end up getting painted, but by that time my bet is the vast majority will want it painted red/white "just like the original".

Function 9/10
I give the bridge high marks for having separate bike and walking lanes. Not only that, but take a close look at the track - The cyclist lanes are depressed into the bridge deck, with (drainage?) along the sides further discouraging cyclists from wandering over on the pedestrian part of the bridge. I'm guessing that the width will be just wide enough for a city vehicle to use this as a crossing for maintenance, emergencies, etc. This may be the first pedestrian bridge in the city where the speed limit will NOT be "walking" or 10km/hr. BRAVO!

The glass covering will help keep snow off of the bridge in the winter, and the glass will warm things up a bit on a calm winter day, providing a nice greenhouse effect. I don't think it will be so severe in the summer, as there is almost always enough breeze to provide ventilation.

I'm not fond of the approach ways to the bridge though - on the north side, we have sharp 90 degree turns - turning that into curves, along with a bridge design to support a wider entrance, would've helped. I don't know WTF they are thinking on the south side. The under bridge path should be for cyclists by-passing the traffic jam that is likely to be up above where pedestrians and cyclists meet from all directions, but that's just my guess. I would say it shouldn't be worse than any other blind corner in the pathway system as at least it's level, and of sufficient width. The approach ways to the bridge on the south side seem to constrict, then open to a circle, then lean on to the bridge. That could just be the perspective of the rendering though - I'd like to see a top down view.

Overall this is a reasonable looking design with some strong practical elements that will please both daily commuters into the downtown and casual folk looking for a memorable shot of the city.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:19 AM
Scraper Fan

There is a real urban vs. suburban fight going on in the Herald comments section. I am glad to see some supportive comments.

As a resident of the inner city I am happy to see my property tax dollars finally going to something I will actually use rather than another overpass or stretch of road in a far flung suburb that I will likely never use or see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates