HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:13 AM

LA is getting two teams just as the NFL popularity is at its lowest point in popularity in decades if not it's history. Still I think there's enough population here to easily support the teams from the get go. I could also be wrong. Btw the catty/bitchy personal attacks against a person's character rather than sticking to debating the issues is tiresome at best. It's also intellectually lazy. A helpful exercise that I'm trying is to write my reply out and then go back and remove all ad hominem content.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:46 PM
Ascension

I know we are veering off topic talking about the Chargers but this is a picture of Levi's Stadium during kick off of the 49ers first home game few days ago.

The Rams, Chargers, (and the Las Vegas Raiders for that fact) will be fine. There's what...20 something million people in SoCal. Surely you can find Rams and Chargers fans in that group. Pro football in LA is still a shaky thing after going through a generation without it so it's going to take some time. But I'm optimistic. The Rams and Chargers are going to be in a state of flux until they move to Inglewood but I think they both will be fine.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:35 PM

^^^^ dumbest thing the niners did was to move to Santa Clara. At least in terms of filling the seats. Because we all know how much tech geeks are into football. A large percentage of their fan base came from the Sacramento area. Now being that much further away, about 2 hours with SJ traffic, I think only the hard core fans care about going to the games.

I agree with you about the viability of the Rams but I'm still skeptical about the Chargers. How many old fans from SD are going to make the 2 hour trip up to LA?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 7:08 PM
SD/OC

I see a lot of people here defending the Chargers and making excuses for their attendance, stadium "choice", etc. As a longtime FORMER Charger fan, I can tell you that those making excuses are deluding yourselves. I should know, I deluded myself and made excuses for this team, it's management, and ownership for years. I guess hindsight really is 20-20. It's not in Spanos' DNA to fix the Chargers, engender support from the fans, or to win at anything in general.

In a way, I'm surprised that so many are giving him a chance and making excuses for Spanos/Chargers. LA is known as a city that does not forgive, forget, or give chances. This seems surprisingly kind, especially towards someone as Magoo-like as Spanos and the Chargers.

Take with this what you want, but consider it a friendly warning from someone who has wasted too much time making excuses for this team. Nothing that happens to the Chargers is by accident. The stadium situation, bad logo, opposing fans, empty seats, angry ex-fans...none of this is by accident. Even the NFL is irritated at Spanos.

Last edited by spoonman; Sep 14, 2017 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:42 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I see a lot of people here defending the Chargers and making excuses for their attendance, stadium "choice", etc. As a longtime FORMER Charger fan, I can tell you that those making excuses are deluding yourselves. I should know, I deluded myself and made excuses for this team, it's management, and ownership for years. I guess hindsight really is 20-20. It's not in Spanos' DNA to fix the Chargers, engender support from the fans, or to win at anything in general.

In a way, I'm surprised that so many are giving him a chance and making excuses for Spanos/Chargers. LA is known as a city that does not forgive, forget, or give chances. This seems surprisingly kind, especially towards someone as Magoo-like as Spanos and the Chargers.

Take with this what you want, but consider it a friendly warning from someone who has wasted too much time making excuses for this team. Nothing that happens to the Chargers is by accident. The stadium situation, bad logo, opposing fans, empty seats, angry ex-fans...none of this is by accident. Even the NFL is irritated at Spanos.
Time will tell but I'm not dismissing the Chargers based on a couple of games or even a few seasons. This is a long-term situation and LA fans will support you as long as you develop a connection to the city. Unlike most cities, LA doesn't flock to you right away, that bond takes time. If even the Clippers and an owner that makes Spanos look amazing (Sterling) can develop a bond with LA and carve out their own successful niche over time, then I'm optimistic the Chargers can do the same if they grow their roots.

LA isn't coming out in full force for a team that still feels like a San Diego team. We have other teams that deserve that love first, but the Chargers have that chance.

Plus, StubHub Center is awesome. Not sure why people keep hating on it. I wish more NFL stadiums were around that size. These huge stadiums with their horrible views make them game pretty boring. Hopefully StubHub Center can become the model going forward.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:12 PM

Guys, I love football as much as the next guy, but can we stick to LA development topics please?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwin517 View Post
Guys, I love football as much as the next guy, but can we stick to LA development topics please?
There's room for both.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:42 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwin517 View Post
There's room for both. Especially considering that they are building a whole neighborhood in Inglewood which will absolutely effect development in and around that general area. The Clippers are thinking about moving to Inglewood as well.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
There's room for both. Especially considering that they are building a whole neighborhood in Inglewood which will absolutely effect development in and around that general area. The Clippers are thinking about moving to Inglewood as well.
Yup. It all ties into development of LA. We aren't talking about X's and O's here. The Chargers are new business entity in the region now.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
I was just reading SB 35, Scott Weiner's bill for increasing housing production, and I'm pretty impressed. It allows developers to opt in to streamlined approval for multifamily projects in "urban" zones (as defined by the census) in cities that have fallen behind on housing production (that is perpetually all of the big ones; LA, SF, and SD all built less than 70% of their prescribed amount in the last housing plan). The developments have to conform to objective local rules (as in only things that don't involve opinions), pay prevailing wages, and include 10% affordable housing (not too much of a deterrent in my opinion).

But best of all, this law will BAR local governments from requiring ANY parking in any of these developments that are either: within a half-mile of major public transit, in a historic area, or within one block of car share vehicle. Furthermore, developments that don't match those criteria cannot be required to build more than one parking space per unit. That is HUGE.

As written, that means that most housing developments in Downtown, Hollywood, Koreatown, Downtown Culver, Century City, etc that conform to existing zoning would be able to receive streamlined approval with no parking as long as they pay prevailing wages and include 10% affordable housing. Combined with community plan updates, this could spur a TON of new development. This has already passed the Senate, let's hope it passes the Assembly!!
This bill passed! Hopefully it spurs a lot more housing development

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:15 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:06 AM

I'm all in for the Clippers to relocate to Inglewood, but there will be a conflict between the Forum and the new arena in terms of events. Almost forgot, the new Rams/Chargers stadium will host events too so let's see how that goes for the 3 venues.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:39 AM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
I'm all in for the Clippers to relocate to Inglewood, but there will be a conflict between the Forum and the new arena in terms of events. Almost forgot, the new Rams/Chargers stadium will host events too so let's see how that goes for the 3 venues.
And there is a 6,000 seat venue built into the New Chargers stadium. (the pointy part)

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:19 PM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:51 AM

Marriot Edition Sunset Boulevard -

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:22 PM

^Wow. That building is quite massive in its east-west profile.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:30 PM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:34 AM

Great news about EPIC. This is one project I'm very excited about. Has anyone heard of anything about the Gehry project at Sunset and Credcent Heights lately? What's the status

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations