HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:05 AM
spaceprobe spaceprobe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CalTorVan
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I disagree, and that's why I made my post. I don't think it's a fluke that it happened in Vancouver and not Toronto. There's something more at work here. It probably has something to do with the larger size of Toronto. Toronto has far more ethnic Chinese people than Vancouver, but they are a smaller contingent percentage-wise, which suggests that they are perceived as less of a "threat."

Which is not to suggest that there aren't inter-ethnic tensions in Toronto, of course.
I think it is the percent that makes the difference. Toronto's chinese population is not much larger than Vancouver's, but Vancouver's % is double Toronto's, and Richmond center is the most chinese concentrated place in the country. Also, the thing with Richmond is that it is still relatively central in the region, and lots of people pass through it and go there for meetings, activities, airport, etc. This is a bit different from Markham which is at the periphery of Toronto. Aside from the main chinatowns near DT Toronto and Vancouver, the chinatowns in toronto are more regarded as just small neighbourhoods with majority chinese shops. Political attention isn't really paid to those areas, just like all the streets scattered throughout the City of Vancouver lined with nothing but chinese shops.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:07 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 26,420
Did you ever meet a blond, ripped, very handsome guy (an engineer) with the initials A.S., and his wife (my cousin, a teacher), who is VERY tan, brunette, and looks quite a lot like Jordana Brewster? Initials S.F., until they came home to get married.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:13 AM
Policy Wonk's Avatar
Policy Wonk Policy Wonk is offline
Inflatable Hippo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburban Las Vegas
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Her exact words were to the effect of if you see a sign entirely in Chinese just assume it's advertising "extremely localized massages" (obviously not the word she used).
__________________
Public Administration 101: Keep your mouth shut until obligated otherwise and don't get in public debates with housewives.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:16 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 26,420
Why are we tap-dancing around it? Handjobs or blowjobs? Or did she actually say they offer intercourse?
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:22 AM
Policy Wonk's Avatar
Policy Wonk Policy Wonk is offline
Inflatable Hippo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburban Las Vegas
Posts: 3,984
Since you're a moderator...

Her exact words were "If you see a sign that is entirely in Chinese and it isn't outside of a church, just assume it's advertising handjobs, you will more than likely be right."
__________________
Public Administration 101: Keep your mouth shut until obligated otherwise and don't get in public debates with housewives.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:26 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 26,420
But seriously, can you not get a HJ at any massage parlour, no matter who's running it? Seems like a pretty easy thing to ask - with no harm done if the answer is no.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 AM
Policy Wonk's Avatar
Policy Wonk Policy Wonk is offline
Inflatable Hippo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburban Las Vegas
Posts: 3,984
I honestly have no idea.
__________________
Public Administration 101: Keep your mouth shut until obligated otherwise and don't get in public debates with housewives.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:41 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Did you ever meet a blond, ripped, very handsome guy (an engineer) with the initials A.S., and his wife (my cousin, a teacher), who is VERY tan, brunette, and looks quite a lot like Jordana Brewster? Initials S.F., until they came home to get married.
I don't believe so. But I wouldn't be shocked if I knew people who know them.

Have you been to GP at all?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:45 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 26,420
No. When I moved to WPG, I assumed we'd be seeing each other every weekend. I had no idea how far it actually was. We only got together a couple of times, never in GP.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:46 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
Hahahaha yeah, GP isn't an "every other weekend" to Winnipeg kind of place.

Edmonton? Sure. Calgary? Maaaaybe.

Winnipeg?

I'm trying to think of what other cities over 50k in Canada are more isolated from other cities of over 50k as GP.

Maybe Prince George? St. John's?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:53 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceprobe View Post
I think it is the percent that makes the difference. Toronto's chinese population is not much larger than Vancouver's, but Vancouver's % is double Toronto's, and Richmond center is the most chinese concentrated place in the country. Also, the thing with Richmond is that it is still relatively central in the region, and lots of people pass through it and go there for meetings, activities, airport, etc. This is a bit different from Markham which is at the periphery of Toronto. Aside from the main chinatowns near DT Toronto and Vancouver, the chinatowns in toronto are more regarded as just small neighbourhoods with majority chinese shops. Political attention isn't really paid to those areas, just like all the streets scattered throughout the City of Vancouver lined with nothing but chinese shops.
600,000 Chinese in Toronto as compared to 400,000 in Vancouver. That's a lot more by any standard. And Markham has a much larger Chinese population (115,000) concentrated in a smaller part of the city than Richmond (89,000), which has Chinese residents spread out throughout the city (going by the ward/neighbourhood demographics on the official websites of the respective cities).

Again, I'm not suggesting that people in Toronto are intrinsically less xenophobic than people in Vancouver. But the history of friction between Chinese and non-Chinese in Vancouver seems rather prominent by comparison, at least from what I've seen. As these are the two go-to cities for Chinese immigration to Canada, it's only natural that you might wonder at reasons for the discrepancy.

The best I can come up with, and you mention it too, is the difference in demographic proportions. I don't know what it's like in Vancouver, but while east Asians are literally everywhere in Toronto, you really only feel potentially overwhelmed by Chinese demographic prominence in out-of-the-way Markham. My sense is that it's not hard to avoid Chinese restaurants in the GTA if that's not your thing.

Last edited by rousseau; Oct 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM. Reason: Words inadvertently omitted
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:53 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 26,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Hahahaha yeah, GP isn't an "every other weekend" to Winnipeg kind of place.

Edmonton? Sure. Calgary? Maaaaybe.

Winnipeg?

I'm trying to think of what other cities over 50k in Canada are more isolated from other cities of over 50k as GP.

Maybe Prince George? St. John's?
Yeah, it was far.

The entire time I was there, the only relatives of mine who lived in Newfoundland who came to visit me were my parents and a different cousin.

She met my boyfriend at the time, from Winnipeg. And famously asked him, moments before this picture, "What's an Me-am-nem-anemonite?"



And that's an awful picture of her so I know she'd kill me if I didn't post a good one:



But I did get to pop out to Calgary:

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:55 AM
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
But seriously, can you not get a HJ at any massage parlour, no matter who's running it? Seems like a pretty easy thing to ask - with no harm done if the answer is no.
If it is purely a massage parlour in a seedy strip mall then the answer is likely yes, or more accurately used to be yes because those places don't really exist anymore. Most massage places nowadays are connected with yoga studios or spas and try to project upscale images. I suspect the valued added service to mostly be procured online. I have no idea if the stereotypes about massage parlours in the basements of Chinese restaurants are or ever were true. The same stereotypes exist about gambling operations. Massage parlours in Asia are a completely different story.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:59 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 26,420
One of hiking partners actually runs a casual massage parlour out of her house. She's asked me to work there when she has clients who are horrified to discover she's female. I declined. I think it's common enough.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:01 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 4,719
Am I hateful person if I secretly (well, not so much any more, as I'm now writing about it) dread every thread on this fucking forum because I know that sooner or later every topic under the fucking sun is going to end up with relentless encomiums to Newfoundland or your friends and relatives?

I don't want to be a hateful person, honestly I don't...but I don't think I ever want to see the word "Newfoundland" again. You've killed that word for me. Is there a chance we could establish a Newfoundland-free zone on this forum? Just for sanity's sake?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:05 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 26,420
Aww, sorry. I don't really have much of a filter.

I'd illustrate that with a link to Sean Majumder's Newfie Directions, but that's obviously not going to help.

I don't know what to do, b'y. It all just happens naturally in conversation with me. I've tried to not to do it, but I just... don't know how to participate in discussions without it. Perhaps just put me on ignore? But please don't if it means I can't see your posts. I like reading them.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:09 AM
Policy Wonk's Avatar
Policy Wonk Policy Wonk is offline
Inflatable Hippo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburban Las Vegas
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I have no idea if the stereotypes about massage parlours in the basements of Chinese restaurants are or ever were true. The same stereotypes exist about gambling operations.
She claims there was such an establishment in a computer store on 32nd Ave where Chinese men would be approached and invited to the back. But that would have been more than a decade ago, she moved to L.A. in 2003.
__________________
Public Administration 101: Keep your mouth shut until obligated otherwise and don't get in public debates with housewives.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:11 AM
saffronleaf saffronleaf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
You're right. If it was Portuguese and Richmond was full of Brazilians, it would be party central and nobody would give a crap about Portuguese only signs because there would be a strong social connection that would mitigate any concerns about signage. Same if it was Cubans or Russians. But there is a huge disconnect with the new Chinese community. It's a fact that many Chinese don't like social interaction with non Chinese. I've seen proof of this at certain downtown nightclubs where non Chinese are treated with outright hostility and are told they are not welcome. The afterhours club on Granville had major problem with this as there are only a few afterhours clubs for people of every background to choose from. Things like that tend to cause resentment and consequently complaints about signage.
The thing is though that clubs in Toronto and Calgary discriminate against South Asians and East Asians. At the very least, that is a popular perception within those communities. But hey, Asians are anti-social and are not one of the two sacred colonialist communities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:20 AM
saffronleaf saffronleaf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
600,000 Chinese in Toronto as compared to 400,000 in Vancouver. That's a lot more by any standard. And Markham has a much larger Chinese population (115,000) concentrated in a smaller part of the city than Richmond (89,000), which has Chinese residents spread out throughout the city (going by the ward/neighbourhood demographics on the official websites of the respective cities).

Again, I'm not suggesting that people in Toronto are intrinsically less xenophobic than people in Vancouver. But the history of friction between Chinese and non-Chinese in Vancouver seems rather prominent by comparison, at least from what I've seen. As these are the two go-to cities for Chinese immigration to Canada, it's only natural that you might wonder at reasons for the discrepancy.

The best I can come up, and you mention it too, is the difference in demographic proportions. I don't know what it's like in Vancouver, but while east Asians are literally everywhere in Toronto, you really feel potentially overwhelmed by Chinese demographic prominence in out-of-the-way Markham. My sense is that it's not hard to avoid Chinese restaurants in the GTA if that's not your thing.
I think one difference is that many of the Chinese in Vancouver are wealthy. Outside of Richmond, they also supposedly buy a lot of condo units in the downtown.

If you look at a demographics map of Toronto, it's like a donut, with the visible minorities on the outside, and the downtown is surprisingly white. Downtown is still quite diverse, but not at all like say, Brampton or Markham.

Some people feel in Vancouver seem to think that there's an elite wealthy Chinese minority, kind of like the old Anglo community in Montreal before the Quiet Revolution.

So perceived wealth and power may have something to do with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:24 AM
saffronleaf saffronleaf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Am I hateful person if I secretly (well, not so much any more, as I'm now writing about it) dread every thread on this fucking forum because I know that sooner or later every topic under the fucking sun is going to end up with relentless encomiums to Newfoundland or your friends and relatives?

I don't want to be a hateful person, honestly I don't...but I don't think I ever want to see the word "Newfoundland" again. You've killed that word for me. Is there a chance we could establish a Newfoundland-free zone on this forum? Just for sanity's sake?


I feel horrible, but damn, well said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.