HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

View Poll Results: Which city is the true Armpit of California?
Stockton 10 18.18%
Modesto 3 5.45%
Merced 1 1.82%
Fresno 15 27.27%
Visalia 3 5.45%
Bakersfield 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 11:48 PM

Armpit of California

Bakersfield and Fresno are often the butt of jokes in California, called the "armpit" of the state and worse, but does something make them any worse than the rest of the cities in the Central Valley, or is the whole Valley an Armpit? Let's take a poll of the worst of the Valley. I'm excluding Sacramento and anything further north because I seldom hear those areas derided in quite the same way. Included in the poll are all MSAs south of Sacramento.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 3:32 AM

Ask Glowrock; he'll certainly know.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 3:36 AM

At the risk of offending someone, Stockton isn't such a great place. It has high crime, high poverty, etc...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 4:53 AM
Exploring the Cosmos

San Bernardino
Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation.-Robert F. Kennedy

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:59 AM

Luckily any "armpit" in California fares much better than the butthole that is many states in this country. Has anyone ever driven through Missouri for example?? WOW.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:30 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Luckily any "armpit" in California fares much better than the butthole that is many states in this country. Has anyone ever driven through Missouri for example?? WOW.

Ding ding ding ding. And Bingo as well.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:01 PM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachnik View Post
San Bernardino
Seconded. Though it has its nicer neighborhoods north of Hwy. 210, most of the city is pretty decrepit. Downtown SB is an absolute tragedy right now. Hopefully the city's redevelopment plans come to some fruition.

And I actually like Bakersfield somewhat. I spent a week there for work about a year ago. Downtown looks really cool in the rain, and most of the city seems like fairly nice suburbia.

...But I have never heard anything nice about Stockton.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
At the risk of offending someone, Stockton isn't such a great place. It has high crime, high poverty, etc...
I doubt you'll offend anyone. I'm actually from Stockton, and I have yet to meet anybody who had anything positive to say about the place I certainly wouldn't want to move back, or to any of the other cities listed here for that matter. Hope this thread and poll don't offend anyone from any of these places that might actually have any hometown pride though. Was just curious to see if others felt these places deserve their reputations.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

True about Stockton, however they are doing a great job beautifying the city by far most the Downtown Area. I think Stockton's Skyline is well ahead of Modesto, Bakersfield, Visalia,

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 3:03 PM
It could be worse!

I grew up in the valley (Sacramento). If there's one thing I'm glad we didn't have there, it's the overwhelming smell of the farm communities and cities listed in the poll. Bakersfield, in my opinion, has the worst stench when driving through the area. It hits you as soon as you leave the Grapevine and seems to stick around forever.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 9:07 PM

I vote for Fresno.

I saw ghettos adjacent to Fresno's downtown that made Compton look tame. I thought it was right out of a movie or something. Guys with picks in their hair on their bicycles just loitering outside. People on their porches staring at you as you drove by... *shutters*

Bakersfield, although just a bland and trite suburban stop, didn't rub off as ghetto at least (the parts that I visited at least).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:23 PM

Actually Fresno for what it is mostly suburban is quite nice. Downtown is only a very small part of that city, most of the middle-class live on the north side. Even some of the older neighborhoods that are just north of downtown would remind you of parts of south pasadena. Had you been to Old Fig Garden, or New Fig Garden, Woodward Park neighborhoods, no way would you say Fresno is the armpit. I admit the downtown area of Fresno needs some work, but even downtown have some decent clear parts. I like the area around the train station where city hall and the new courthouse is.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Jan 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:17 PM

Woohoo! Sacramento didn't make the list. Yeah most of these cities listed make Sacto look cosmopolitan. But in all seriousness, I remember back in the late-90s- early 2000s when Sac was the so-called "Armpit of California" and was described by LA Lakers coach Phil Jackson as an uncivilized cowtown. Anyway, my point is some of these cities have potential of becoming a great - Fresno especially. It's the largest place in the CV with a decent downtown, good restaurants, some culture, and has Fresno State. If Fresno can built up and diversify its economy, attract outside businesses and get local leaders to invest in the city then yes Fresno can be that up-and-coming town. Just look at what Sacramento has done.

My vote however goes to Bakersfield.

Last edited by Pistola916; Jan 14, 2011 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Woohoo! Sacramento didn't make the list. Yeah most of these cities listed make Sacto look cosmopolitan. But in all seriousness, I remember back in the late-90s- early 2000s when Sac was the so-called "Armpit of California" and was described by LA Lakers coach Phil Jackson as an uncivilized cowtown. Anyway, my point is some of these cities have potential of becoming a great - Fresno especially. It's the largest place in the CV with a decent downtown, good restaurants, some culture, and has Fresno State. If Fresno can built up and diversify its economy, attract outside businesses and get local leaders to invest in the city then yes Fresno can be that up-and-coming town. Just look at what Sacramento has done.

My vote however goes to Bakersfield.

How is having Fresno State any different from UoP in Stockton or CSU Bakersfield or UC Merced in those respective cities?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:32 AM

Quote:
How is having Fresno State any different from UoP in Stockton or CSU Bakersfield or UC Merced in those respective cities?

I'm saying along with a top university, Fresno, unlike the other cities mentioned, has culture. It has the more potential than Bakersfield, Stockton, Modesto or Merced.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I'm saying along with a top university, Fresno, unlike the other cities mentioned, has culture. It has the more potential than Bakersfield, Stockton, Modesto or Merced.
i don't think "top university" and "fresno" have ever appeared in the same sentence together until now.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 7:58 AM

Quote:
i don't think "top university" and "fresno" have ever appeared in the same sentence together until now.
They have Fresno State, which is more recognizable than Sacramento State.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 1:14 AM
Of Heart's Delight

Pretty unnecessary thread...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 5:43 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

^Oh, but it's all in good fun.

And, this is for all the Bako detractors: http://jwwutkee.blogspot.com/2011/01...seriously.html

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 3:28 AM

Sorry...since my first visit in 1965 at 5 I knew Richmond was the arm pit of California.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West