HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 2:26 PM

^^ While an Asian focused grocery store in the Maples makes sense I am surprised that Lucky's would open a second location there before tackling the highly underserviced south-west (U of M and area) market. Guess the rule that it is difficult to pass up good opportunities applies here.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 3:10 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ While an Asian focused grocery store in the Maples makes sense I am surprised that Lucky's would open a second location there before tackling the highly underserviced south-west (U of M and area) market. Guess the rule that it is difficult to pass up good opportunities applies here.
I'm sure that if there was a viable space in the area that they would be looking at it too.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 3:57 PM

For now the south has ING supermarket

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
For now the south has ING supermarket
Let's not forget Superstore on Bison Drive... they have a very wide selection of Asian specialty items.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:03 PM

Mastermind Toys Opening First Location In Winnipeg Is SmartCentres Winnipeg Kenaston and McGillivray Boulevards http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...307535411.html

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:26 PM

^^ Not overly surprised as Winnipeg was announced and studying where the company locates and its target market it all said Kennaston area.

That said their aggressive expansion plans suggest that if the store works here it won't be the only one in Winnipeg come next fall. Regent and Polo Park would be the other prime locations. Time will tell.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 10:49 PM

Gap Is Leaving Manitoba For Good? http://www.am980.ca/2015/06/16/gap-t...retail-stores/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Why would you use scare tactics? They have yet to disclose which their locations shall cease operations. Not that Gap is high end but, it is likely too high end for most Canadians who every year to more so prefer even lower priced products as a rule. The throw away society: hypocrites who want to recycle yet shop for Krap?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Where in that article does it say anything about a Manitoba store even closing?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:35 PM

The challenge The Gap is facing is the same as a lot of retail, the erosion of the middle class. Both the value brand, Old Navy and the luxury brand Banana Republic from the same group, continue to have strong sales while middle ground Gap is struggling. Another of the middle class brands, J Crew is reported to have similar struggles while their own luxury brand Madewell is excelling.

While no stores have been announced closing at least one of the Winnipeg stores might make sense as they talk about shifting the brand online. While the current plan is to try and salvage the brand the long term prospects also sound pretty bleak when they talk about wanting to shift it online. It is also worth noting that their outlet stores are not included in the closures as they continue to have strong sales.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Why would you use scare tactics? They have yet to disclose which their locations shall cease operations. Not that Gap is high end but, it is likely too high end for most Canadians who every year to more so prefer even lower priced products as a rule. The throw away society: hypocrites who want to recycle yet shop for Krap?
Considering there are many more higher-priced stores in Winnipeg malls, I wouldn't draw a conclusion that The Gap is "too high end" for Canadians. If anything, they are probably just becoming increasingly irrelevant since their late 1990s heyday.

Out of curiosity, are they closing their Banana Republic and Old Navy stores too, or only Gap outlets specifically?

Personally, I find The Gap to be useless... more or less the same styles you see at Old Navy, but at prices closer to BR.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Considering there are many more higher-priced stores in Winnipeg malls, I wouldn't draw a conclusion that The Gap is "too high end" for Canadians. If anything, they are probably just becoming increasingly irrelevant since their late 1990s heyday.

Out of curiosity, are they closing their Banana Republic and Old Navy stores too, or only Gap outlets specifically?

Personally, I find The Gap to be useless... more or less the same styles you see at Old Navy, but at prices closer to BR.
Various stories on the subject have said Old Navy is performing well and won't be affected. Gap stores are the only ones affected.

As to the poster who said Gap is leaving Manitoba never to return. Not sure what lead you to such a giant leap from the story saying they are closing some stores in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Various stories on the subject have said Old Navy is performing well and won't be affected. Gap stores are the only ones affected.

As to the poster who said Gap is leaving Manitoba never to return. Not sure what lead you to such a giant leap from the story saying they are closing some stores in Canada.
Will keep Banana republic And Old Navy In Manitoba?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Will keep Banana republic And Old Navy In Manitoba?
They are only closing some Gap branded stores. Banana Republic and Old Navy is not affected. And you're the only person saying they're closing the Gap stores in Manitoba. No news source has reported anything about them closing all locations in Manitoba. They currently have 960 Gap locations in North America and will have 800 or so following the planned closures. No regional breakdown was provided so to say all Manitoba locations will be closed is pure speculation.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Horrorbro is known for random speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. The most recurring example being the almost bot-like "Build-a-bear workshop coming to [insert mall-du-jour here]?" posts.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 3:28 PM

The challenge is basically this structure (prices not from actual items):

Old Navy sells a t-shirt for $10
Gap sells similar t-shirt for $40
Banana Republic puts their logo on the t-shirt an sells it for $80

People that can afford the Banana Republic t-shirt that advertises how they can burn money on crazily marked up luxury items will shop there. The people that might shop at Gap or Old Navy are more price sensitive and will skip the $40 Gap shirt most times.

Now add it that "fast fashion" chains sell the kind of trendy stuff Gap used to be known for at Old Navy prices. Those chains are places like Forever 21, H&M, Zara, Joe Fresh and others.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The challenge is basically this structure (prices not from actual items):

Old Navy sells a t-shirt for $10
Gap sells similar t-shirt for $40
Banana Republic puts their logo on the t-shirt an sells it for $80

People that can afford the Banana Republic t-shirt that advertises how they can burn money on crazily marked up luxury items will shop there. The people that might shop at Gap or Old Navy are more price sensitive and will skip the $40 Gap shirt most times.

Now add it that "fast fashion" chains sell the kind of trendy stuff Gap used to be known for at Old Navy prices. Those chains are places like Forever 21, H&M, Zara, Joe Fresh and others.
I think you nailed it right there. This mirrors my own experience... I have a lot of BR stuff (being a Winnipegger I typically buy it on sale or at outlets), but when I need something inexpensive to bang around outside in, I will typically buy something from Old Navy instead. I hardly ever buy anything at the Gap.

And yes, places like Joe Fresh also deliver a style very similar to the Gap's for a much lower price too.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
I think you nailed it right there. This mirrors my own experience... I have a lot of BR stuff (being a Winnipegger I typically buy it on sale or at outlets), but when I need something inexpensive to bang around outside in, I will typically buy something from Old Navy instead. I hardly ever buy anything at the Gap.

And yes, places like Joe Fresh also deliver a style very similar to the Gap's for a much lower price too.
Yeah Joe Fresh is literally the 10's version of the GAP. Same simple style, remarkably similar marketing and commercials... And they're adding actual stores in the USA that aren't in Loblaws stores, so down there they actually see it as a H&M/F21/Uniqlo competitor.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah Joe Fresh is literally the 10's version of the GAP. Same simple style, remarkably similar marketing and commercials... And they're adding actual stores in the USA that aren't in Loblaws stores, so down there they actually see it as a H&M/F21/Uniqlo competitor.
It blew me away when I was in NYC and stumbled upon the huge Joe Fresh store on Fifth Avenue... some of the primest retail space anywhere.

The selection was far more vast than what you'd see at the local Superstore, but the price points are all very similar.

They must have made their point though, because when I looked for a photo of the store I noticed recent headlines saying that outlet was slated for closure.

At any rate, tough for the Gap to compete with similar merchandise at much lower prices.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 7:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
I have a lot of BR stuff (being a Winnipegger I typically buy it on sale or at outlets), but when I need something inexpensive to bang around outside in, I will typically buy something from Old Navy instead. I hardly ever buy anything at the Gap.
Banana Republic Factory (aka Outlet) stores have a completely different (and lower quality) product lines.

You can tell it is their lesser quality line based on the three diamonds on the tag.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan