HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 8:08 PM

Smile

this is some great news, i might be able to finish my Video Series for this building after all, tho it will come out different than we thought. Still its great that this eyesore finally gets out of Chicagos Riverfront. It was pretty noticeable in Transformers 3´s end battle. I always thought why couldnt they use some CGI on that one, lol

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 11:14 PM

So 65 stories. How tall are we potentially talking, based on the 25 stories which are already there?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:41 AM
THAT Guy

Here's the official press release.

They're really hyping this project up, so we better not end up with another SCB box.

http://www.related.com/ourcompany/pr...NTAL-BUILDING/

RELATED COMPANIES ENTERS INTO JOINT VENTURE ON 111 WEST WACKER DRIVE, FIRM TO REDEVELOP PROPERTY AS LUXURY RENTAL BUILDING
7/27/2011

Related Companies today announced that it has entered into a joint venture agreement with Clark Wacker LLC on a development site at 111 West Wacker Drive in Chicago, Illinois. Related plans to redevelop the property as an approximately 500-unit luxury rental complex that will include on-site parking. Clark Wacker LLC will retain a participation in the deal structure. The joint venture formation is part of Related’s fund management platform which seeks to unlock value by utilizing the firm’s vast real estate expertise.

Curt Bailey, President of Related Midwest said, “111 West Wacker Drive is a tremendous development opportunity and a perfect fit for Related, drawing on our decades of experience building some of the nation’s finest rental and condominium complexes. Chicago’s rental market is strong and demonstrating healthy rent growth. 111 West Wacker Drive offers an ideal location for best-in-class rental product.”

Sean McMahon from Clark Wacker LLC said, “We are thrilled to partner with Related Companies and create a statement rental development. We have always believed in the great potential of this site and the formation of this joint venture with such a prestigious estate organization with a track-record of successful residential developments will only further ensure the project’s success.”

Justin Metz, Managing Principal of Related Companies said, “111 West Wacker Drive is a perfect fit for our expertise in, and focus on, execution projects. We look forward to developing a marquee building for this important location, bringing new resources to the development and maximizing value for our partners and investors."

111 West Wacker Drive is located on the Chicago River at a signature crossroads that bridges the north end of the Loop business and financial district and is directly across from the vibrant river north cultural and lifestyle district. Construction is projected to begin in the first quarter of 2012.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:20 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
They're really hyping this project up, so we better not end up with another SCB box.
Maybe its just the cynic in me, but I totally can see this happening. Too many proposals being beaten to death with hype only do deliver mediocre or sub-par results. Especially with Related's current portfolio....

We could do worse than SCB, but I hope the decrease in height will be off-set with an increase in design.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post

We could do worse than SCB, but I hope the decrease in height will be off-set with an increase in design.
Unlikely. I see glass box and maybe some silver applied fins to add "pizzazz." I can only hope I'm wrong. It can be more forgiving when a mediocre tower is buried deep within the loop, but to be visually front and center there is much higher expectations. This is a really big opportunity to have some architectural impact, hope they don't mess it up.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:03 PM
dream fast

At 65 stories, this is what the old Waterview design would look like (give or take a few floors) compared to the original proposed height. Of course, the design will change.

Rendering from post #1 @ http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=303473

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
At 65 stories, this is what the old Waterview design would look like (give or take a few floors) compared to the original proposed height. Of course, the design will change.

Still like the design even if it is a bit squat

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:23 PM
BANNED

I'm not concerned that we'll be getting a shoddy design here especially the way things have been going design wise lately in Chicago. Last time SCB and Related teamed up we got 340 OTP which is one of the best buildings of the boom. Related is a tight development team that generally aspires to excellence. The only real turd they've produced here was 60 West Erie (which is pretty bad), but I'll give them a pass as it was one of their first projects here.

I would be thrilled if SCB came up with some sort of funky 340 OTP like, hyper modern, design. I really like the "high tech" look of 340 and think that's just the kind of zap that's missing on this stretch of the canyon. It would only increase the amazing variety of architecture that the river tours see already.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:24 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
This is a really big opportunity to have some architectural impact, hope they don't mess it up.
Yeah, they better not Block 37 this site. It's far too prominent for an underwhelming building.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:34 PM

any guesses what height range were looking at here?... perhaps 700ft plus?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:44 PM

I'd be more than happy with the squat version of the original design.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:46 PM
BANNED

It will probably be about 700. Hope it breaks into the mid to upper 700's though because it would seperate it visually from what's there already, though a 700 foot wall of buildings is pretty impressive.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I'm not concerned that we'll be getting a shoddy design here especially the way things have been going design wise lately in Chicago. Last time SCB and Related teamed up we got 340 OTP which is one of the best buildings of the boom. Related is a tight development team that generally aspires to excellence. The only real turd they've produced here was 60 West Erie (which is pretty bad), but I'll give them a pass as it was one of their first projects here.

I would be thrilled if SCB came up with some sort of funky 340 OTP like, hyper modern, design. I really like the "high tech" look of 340 and think that's just the kind of zap that's missing on this stretch of the canyon. It would only increase the amazing variety of architecture that the river tours see already.
Don't forget they also teamed up for the Streeterville site on Pesthigo. I'm somewhat underwhelmed by that project.

This is what I'm wondering, are we talking 65 additional floors aor 65 total floors because this hasn't been stated yet?

These are going to be 'luxury' units. We aren't talking about a ton of studios and remember how small this site is.

Not only that, the hotel floors are already built and there are many voids and vaulted spaces as they didn't want a lot of the hotel rooms to face the alley and face the Transportation Building. It's not clear if the currently built hotel space will be converted or remain hotel.

These units I think will be built and have the appointments so that it can be converted to condo at a later date.

Last edited by BVictor1; Jul 30, 2011 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 9:46 PM
BANNED

I'm guessing 650 feet.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 10:40 PM

I'm pulling for the original design no matter what height is finally selected.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Don't forget they also teamed up for the Streeterville site on Pesthigo. I'm somewhat underwhelmed by that project.

This is what I'm wondering, are we talking 65 additional floors aor 65 total floors because this hasn't been stated yet?

These are going to be 'luxury' units. We aren't talking about a ton of studios and remember how small this site is.

Not only that, the hotel floors are already built and there are many voids and vaulted spaces as they didn't want a lot of the hotel rooms to face the alley and face the Transportation Building. It's not clear if the currently built hotel space will be converted or remain hotel.

These units I think will be built and have the appointments so that it can be converted to condo at a later date.
well if it was 65 stories on top was curretnly there it would be a 90 story building..i wish it was still in the plan but it think its a pretty safe based on the articles to assume the total height will be 65 stories (25 stories currently there plus 40 stories built on top)...hoping that the "ultra luxury" units will result in higher floor to ceiling heights..givies up a building in the mid 700 ft range.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 3:34 PM

I thought the development team(Teng) was completely out of this thing. I see the same players here with the Clark Wacker, LLC. firm. I think there is a pretty high probability that we will end up with the squat version of the original design based on that alone.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 7:13 PM
Metal Up Your !

So would the redesign be the tall one or the short one?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 7:49 PM

^ The short one

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 8:09 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
So would the redesign be the tall one or the short one?
Its not even a redesign. Its a mock-up of what the building would look like if they completed using the original massing and cladding. They' haven't told us what their actual plan is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive