HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:32 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It would definitely be interesting to see an aerial view of the project.

Did anybody ask why they went with something so tall knowing that approval would be much more problematic?
Not really. I thought about asking that but it seemed like their rationale had already been covered in the speeches given by the UG rep and Clewes. The impression I got is that they lost confidence in the Twisted Sisters project's ability to succeed, that Clewes specifically wanted something "tall, light, airy, and iconic" for aesthetic and philosophical reasons, and that in terms of light on the street and wind dynamics, the new building is expected to behave as well if not better. He specifically mentioned that due to the narrower profile, the new buildings would allow for more light on the ground.

I get the impression that they feel it's less important to convince the naysayers in the general public than it is to convince the people in charge of making by-law amendments, and that if they make a solid technical case for the proposal, the naysayers don't need to like it at all since they aren't the target market anyway. And considering they don't't want to build the first project anyway, it's not like they're "losing" their chance to build it by proposing this.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:05 PM
hi

Is this the aerial they had on display?

source: http://skye.callsos.info/

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:16 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks good. I don't think it is horribly out of scale, and it will fit in more when buildings like the Nova Centre and Cunard lot are added.

The aerial photo is quite old (maybe 2003?) but one advantage is that it is the one used for early brewery tower renderings. Unfortunately I can't find a good colour rendering, but here's the black and white tower:

Maybe I'll add in TD, the Nova Centre, the Cunard block, Salter's Gate, etc. if I have time.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:19 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Is this the aerial they had on display?

Yes, that would be the one.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:24 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Or white suburbanites that don't like anything with the words multi-family, high density or high-rise.
Generalisations are fun, aren't they?

This issue isn't black and white. This isn't pro-development vs. the Heritage Trust. It's not tall buildings vs. Save the View. It's more complex than that, and far too often you we make it seem like it isn't.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe I'll add in TD, the Nova Centre, the Cunard block, Salter's Gate, etc. if I have time.
And Purdy's Wharf?

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:18 PM

Please, build these.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I quickly threw together the Skye rendering and some other buildings that have been built, approved/proposed, or are under construction. It is pretty rough and I might fix it up later:

The black and white brewery rendering is for the old version of the tower. I didn't indicate that the power plant has been redeveloped.

It's important to remember that there will most likely be Nova Centre towers in between Skye and the Citadel in the future, so the effect on views will be minimal. The various projects around the downtown will also generally increase the scale of the area. I don't think that slender 48 storey residential towers are actually that out of scale with large office buildings like the Maritime Centre.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:58 PM

Holy cow! It almost looks like a real downtown core!

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Holy cow! It almost looks like a real downtown core!
Yeah seriously!

This need to get built ASAP. Sure would be nice to see a few of the others start too.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some of the buildings I added are too large (and I think the Citadel Hotel buildings might be too small) but the overall effect is probably pretty close to what you'd see with the actual construction.

The only sad part of the rendering is the big empty Salter site. The swath of parking around the Waterfront Warehouse is unattractive and a big waste and there's really nothing concrete for that area on the horizon.

It might not hurt for United Gulf to produce some more modern renderings using aerials showing more of the city. The impact of Skye given the Nova Centre is not that great. Similarly, Skye may not even be larger than the new Fenwick. Park Vic is also pretty large compared to Skye and was built about 40 years ago.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:20 AM
The good old days are now

If this building will be for the most part residential it will be at least 144m (3m * 48), and perhaps closer to 168m (3.5 * 48).

That is quite impressive. It would be the tallest residential building in Canada east of Toronto by at least 20m (Altitude Montreal will be 124m). It would also be the tallest building that has been built east of Toronto since 1992.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:33 AM
The New Republic

It would be great to have a decent sized city east of Quebec. I really think Halifax can be one of Canada's great cities one day, it's got so much going for it. The shipbuilding contract might be just the impetus needed to get this city on the right track.

What's the large low rise building between Maritime Centre and the water?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You mean the "E" shaped one that is partly red brick? That's Bishop's Landing.

Based on the renderings released I think the plan for Skye is closer to 140-150 m than 170 m. The downtown office buildings are in the 80-90 m range and the tallest building in the city is 90-100 m.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:49 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
If this building will be for the most part residential it will be at least 144m (3m * 48), and perhaps closer to 168m (3.5 * 48).

That is quite impressive. It would be the tallest residential building in Canada east of Toronto by at least 20m (Altitude Montreal will be 124m). It would also be the tallest building that has been built east of Toronto since 1992.
The developer states it will be 150m. I didn't mention that before since I thought that was existing knowledge, but they clearly stated it several times in the presentation.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:51 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It would be great to have a decent sized city east of Quebec. I really think Halifax can be one of Canada's great cities one day, it's got so much going for it. The shipbuilding contract might be just the impetus needed to get this city on the right track.

You don't think it's one now? I would have thought that would go without even saying.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 3:09 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
The developer states it will be 150m. I didn't mention that before since I thought that was existing knowledge, but they clearly stated it several times in the presentation.
Thanks for the clarification. I hope it gets built. With it, Halifax's skyline could be confused for that of a city well over twice its size.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 3:32 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
You mean the "E" shaped one that is partly red brick? That's Bishop's Landing.
No, the taller building further inland. It looks to be around 8 floors high. It's not built yet, but was depicted in grey.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 3:36 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
You don't think it's one now? I would have thought that would go without even saying.
I was born in London, England so I tend not to think of any place under 500,000 people as being a city even though the Canadian definition is quite a bit lower than that. When I first moved to Canada, I didn't consider anything under 3 million to be a city so I'm getting better! Halifax is great, but it doesn't have many of the trappings I associate with 'city': a subway system, a range of professional sports, major galleries and museums, outlets by the fashion houses: Louis Vuitton/Burberry/Prada, a stadium, zoo/aquarium, amusement parks, multi-national firms based in the city, etc.

Last edited by isaidso; May 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth