HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise Construction

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #141  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 8:44 PM
alasi alasi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The median serves no aesthetic purpose. If they landscaped it or did something interesting, maybe. I see no aesthetic need for a hunk of cement. I suppose it is functional, though.
Back in the day,it was where you caught the bus.Used to catch the 44 to Wynnfield when coming home from school.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #142  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:32 AM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 839
035 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #143  
Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 3:33 PM
TallCoolOne's Avatar
TallCoolOne TallCoolOne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 1,305
http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...I-GALLERY.html

Inga's review - column up this morning. She's in love.

Phase one - should be completed Spring 2016.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #144  
Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 4:49 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...I-GALLERY.html

Inga's review - column up this morning. She's in love.

Phase one - should be completed Spring 2016.
Her positive outlook on the project is definitely surprising- especially since I believe she has trashed BLT architects on several occasions in the past. Hopefully this project will trigger more development in the 900 and 1000 blocks of market. Lots of vacancies or subpar storefronts in those blocks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #145  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 12:07 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,305
Perspective shots of the Market East, so we can compare what is there now, to what is proposed, and show some demo progress as of today (12/27/2014).

11th and Ludlow:





11th and Market:





12th and Market:





12th and Ludlow. You can see the demo work.





12th and Clover:





Considering this project is directly across the street from the Convention Center's Market street entrance, it could wind up being be fantastic.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #146  
Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 4:16 AM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 774
Great. Now where am I supposed to buy my American pants?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #147  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:13 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,305
Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but here is the Market East Strategic Plan from 2009. Interesting how this project, and others relate to that plan.

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pl...astexecsum.pdf
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #148  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 10:37 PM
New2Fishtown New2Fishtown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 110
Retail Leasing brochure

http://www.mcdevittco.com/production...Newspaper1.pdf

Has an image or two I hadn't seen before, but more interestingly, floorplans showing the distribution of the retail and the range of sizes they're hoping to attract.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #149  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 11:37 PM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 839
So the Snellenburgs Men's store front facade is a goner it seems
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #150  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 4:30 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 592
Tall or not, this is the most exciting project in CC right now IMO. This is going to change Market East's game in a great way!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #151  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 4:58 AM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
So the Snellenburgs Men's store front facade is a goner it seems
The facade was "renovated" beyond salvage in the 1970s, no?



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #152  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:34 AM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
The facade was "renovated" beyond salvage in the 1970s, no?
Poster was talking about the warehouse building (later family court).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #153  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 9:58 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Tall or not, this is the most exciting project in CC right now IMO. This is going to change Market East's game in a great way!
Agreed. This and PREIT's project with the Gallery are so huge. Together, they promise to revolutionize a stretch of our city that is damn near a slum and smack in the middle of a 'tourist area' (right near the Convention Center, no less).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #154  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 1:19 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agreed. This and PREIT's project with the Gallery are so huge. Together, they promise to revolutionize a stretch of our city that is damn near a slum and smack in the middle of a 'tourist area' (right near the Convention Center, no less).
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown. I am definitely curious about how much public money PREIT is going to ask for.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #155  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 2:55 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown. I am definitely curious about how much public money PREIT is going to ask for.
I didn't say anything about tenants, though it can't be denied that the type of stores is part of it...The whole stretch of market where this and the Gallery reside look like junk. The blank wall is a big piece of that. Agreed that it will be interesting to see what PREIT asks for as far as public funding. Some of PREIT's activist investors are pressuring PREIT to dump some of its less profitable properties (including several shopping centers in the PA and NJ suburbs surrounding Philly). If it does, perhaps we will see some of that cash infused here and a project that really shines.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #156  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 3:02 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I didn't say anything about tenants, though it can't be denied that the type of stores is part of it...The whole stretch of market where this and the Gallery reside look like junk. The blank wall is a big piece of that. Agreed that it will be interesting to see what PREIT asks for as far as public funding. Some of PREIT's activist investors are pressuring PREIT to dump some of its less profitable properties (including several in the PA and NJ suburbs surrounding Philly). If it does, perhaps we will see some of that cash infused here and a project that really shines.
I didnt mean to infer that you were saying something about the tenants (many of which are national chains BTW)- I was trying to make the point that the tenants in the gallery are almost irrelevant because its such a poor design. Whatever is going on inside of there (positive or negative) is totally cut off from the urban environment since they built a vertical version of a suburban shopping mall as if the gallery is surrounded by a huge parking lot.

If W hotel asked for $30m I'm sure PREIT will be asking for at least that. I also wonder how much of the mall they will be able to keep open while they enact these major changes. One thing is for sure, Im sure PREIT wants this subsidy completed ASAP before we get too close to end of Nutter's term.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #157  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:25 PM
giantSwan's Avatar
giantSwan giantSwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeast, United States
Posts: 220
This development is truly a game changer for Philadelphia.

The past was destroyed and we cannot get it back. The 70s/80s created a complete urban travesty. And here we are today, looking forward, creating a new great urban area in the city of Philadelphia. Remarkable from where we were just 10 years ago.

Let's hope the materials used are high quality...but so far...this looks like a massive massive project for Philadelphia.

Congrats.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #158  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:51 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,340
True, and hopefully all this change will lead to something at 8th and market. Seems like a perfect site for an urban Target to me.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #159  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 7:20 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
True, and hopefully all this change will lead to something at 8th and market. Seems like a perfect site for an urban Target to me.......
Would love to see something big there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #160  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 9:34 PM
alasi alasi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Would love to see something big there.
I've always hoped that something like the Waldorf or Bridgeman's View would end up there.Anything less than 650' would be criminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.