HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:20 PM

Did they say why? I just saw Phil Squire's tweet about it. Having the route skip so much of downtown (by going through Wharncliffe) is a death sentence. There's no way to move the tracks. Overpass would be extremely costly. Where does this leave us?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:50 PM

Paul Chengs comments about London being to small for BRT are so stupid.....Does he not know London's the largest city in north American without urban expressway, Largest city in Canada without any forum of rapid transit, 3rd highest office vacancy in Canada however we are an extremely cheap city that's 2 hours away from a major city with a super hot real estate market that grows by 100k people a year. WAKE UP!!! BUILD THE TUNNEL. BUILD THIS BRT NETWORK. I hope to GOD Paul never runs for mayor with anti growth comments like that.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
Paul Chengs comments ...are so stupid
Fixed your post. I don't ever recall the man saying something sensible.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:55 PM

Stevo26......... you note that the feds & QP want to spend megabucks on transit infrastructure which is true especially QP with an up coming election in battleground London. That said, there is no money from anyone unless the City makes a formal application for funding of a specific plan and that can only be done by the City which requires it to be passed by City Hall.

The tunnel is dead but even the BRT ROW will be a hard sell taking away lanes, parking, and large property acquisition especially along Wellington & Richmond where it is up against the 2 most politically powerful areas of the city.........Old North and Old South.
I don't think BRT will go thru either as the headwinds are against them. It may go thru in the Eastern portion as Old East has no pull at city hall and the urban fabric along Dundas East to Fanshawe is not near as dense as the rest of the city.

The City must look outside the box and be realistic and an cost effective elevated rail system looks like the best bet especially down Richmond using the parking/laneway corridor and the LPS rail corridor instead of Wellington. I was quite surprised how he genuinely seemed impressed with the idea and it maybe the only option that gets thru the Nimbyism and City Council.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Stevo26......... you note that the feds & QP want to spend megabucks on transit infrastructure which is true especially QP with an up coming election in battleground London. That said, there is no money from anyone unless the City makes a formal application for funding of a specific plan and that can only be done by the City which requires it to be passed by City Hall.

<snip>

The City must look outside the box and be realistic and an cost effective elevated rail system looks like the best bet especially down Richmond using the parking/laneway corridor and the LPS rail corridor instead of Wellington. I was quite surprised how he genuinely seemed impressed with the idea and it maybe the only option that gets thru the Nimbyism and City Council.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

<snip>

Sure BRT ROW is going to be a hard sell. Substantively improving public transit in London has always been a hard sell because some people have hardened attitudes that say only students and the poor use public transit.

Whether we like it or not, to make an omelette, we're going to have to break a few eggs and this is something that has always been true of any major infrastructure project anywhere in the world.

The problem now confronting us is that the SkyTrolley system that was discussed earlier is an unproven technology and isn't even being manufactured yet. It would be hugely risky for the city to attempt to a acquire new technology like this that has no track record.

Adopting the suspended trolley system in Wuppertal might be a feasible choice. However, exploring whether this system should be utilized is going to force the city to start all over from scratch and do new environmental assessments.

That's a process that is easily going to take 3 - 5 years at a minimum. This, of course, would cause delays in implementation of a RT system, and by then, the opportunity to acquire funding from upper levels of government may well be gone as new governments might be in power by then and they might be unwilling to finance any public infrastructure improvements anywhere.

Plus, none of us has any idea how much a Wuppertal-style system will cost to build. I can't see it being cheaper to build than BRT because of all the metal support structures needed to suspend the trolley cars.

In fact, building such infrastructure would be equivalent to constructing something like a railway bridge that runs all the way from Masonville to White Oaks. At this stage, we've not even closely examined how much the stations will cost to build. Nor do we know how much property will have to be expropriated to accommodate such a system, nor the overall costs involved.

With the BRT system currently being proposed, we have a very good idea of what kind of financial commitment we are looking at.

BRT is still by far the cheapest and simplest way to go and offers the least amount of risk and complexity. At-grade stations would be cheap to build as well, as they sit on concrete pads, and the actual stations themselves need not be elaborate or particularly expensive to build.

BRT also involves a simple process of widening roads and placing two dedicated lanes in the middle of them, with coloured asphalt and paint markings to delineate the BRT ROW.

A news article I saw earlier today seems to suggest the city is seriously considering scrapping the Richmond tunnel and just leaving the rail crossing on Richmond largely as is, even though it will gum up the BRT system.

Well, that won't be anything new, as the rail crossings in London already gum up all kinds of traffic pretty badly. The article does point out that the real purpose of BRT isn't necessarily to speed up public transit, but to increase the frequency of busses and thus improve reliability.

Those who favour an elevated RT system should consider the experience of Curitiba, Brazil. Brazil is a poor country, yet Curitiba managed to build an advanced BRT system. Here's a link to a Youtube video that shows more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9YJ4xDRIiA

Note how simple the stations are in terms of construction. If a relatively poor place like Curitiba can build a BRT system, then it should be a piece of cake for London to do the same.

All that's standing in the way in London is NIMBY-ism and class-based warfare where a few don't think that tax money should be spent for something they personally won't use, even though many more would actually use it.

I still think the city should be entering into talks with CP Rail to build an underpass for the rail line that crosses Richmond.

I think they should also approach the federal government for help on this, as the federal government regulates rail systems and could put a bit of pressure on CP to cooperate, even if it means that London, the province and the feds have to pay for the construction of the underpass. An underpass would be vastly more feasible than a 900-metre tunnel. An added bonus is that the underpass gets built now and we don't have to wait until 2030.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 6:49 AM

If the tunnel gets scrapped, I Honestly don't even see the point in BRT at all. You're just better off fixing the LTC and all their messed up routes.

It really sucks how our city is full of nothing but self centered assholes who don't want change and don't want London to grow. I wish London was run by millennials and not all these baby boomers (no offence to anyone who is one). I just think Millennials are more adventurous, more willing to try new things, and not be persuaded by everyones bitching. That's the problem, our council eventually just listens to what the citizens want, and most of the time they are dead wrong. I feel if we can get younger people in there, our city would get a ton more accomplished than any other council ever could.

I do like Ssiguys idea with the elevated rail system. I would say it doesn't even have to be fully elevated though; Have it elevated in the problem areas like Downtown and then drop it back to ground level. But other than that, what do the Londoners have to bitch about with that project? Either way, just wish we could get something started before its too late.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
If the tunnel gets scrapped, I Honestly don't even see the point in BRT at all. You're just better off fixing the LTC and all their messed up routes.

It really sucks how our city is full of nothing but self centered assholes who don't want change and don't want London to grow. I wish London was run by millennials and not all these baby boomers (no offence to anyone who is one). I just think Millennials are more adventurous, more willing to try new things, and not be persuaded by everyones bitching. That's the problem, our council eventually just listens to what the citizens want, and most of the time they are dead wrong. I feel if we can get younger people in there, our city would get a ton more accomplished than any other council ever could.

I do like Ssiguys idea with the elevated rail system. I would say it doesn't even have to be fully elevated though; Have it elevated in the problem areas like Downtown and then drop it back to ground level. But other than that, what do the Londoners have to bitch about with that project? Either way, just wish we could get something started before its too late.
Well, for what it's worth, I'm 54 and very definitely a Baby Boomer, and I too am tired of all the people who are dead set against London progressing in any way, shape or form.

The problem, or part of it, as I see it, is that people want an omelette but they don't want to break any eggs. An associated issue is that those who are dead set against progress seem to have a perception that London is like a small city that has some big-city amenities. So they want London to retain the charm they think it has, and don't care that others may have different perceptions and desires.

They don't seem to realize that blocking progress has consequences. Cities that don't progress in terms of the amenities and facilities they offer usually stagnate and then decline because people leave for cities that do offer the amenities they want, and others won't settle in cities that are declining.

Many have objected to the BRT system on the grounds that it's going to cost taxpayers too much money. They don't seem to understand that if the BRT project were cancelled tomorrow, their taxes wouldn't go down by so much as one red nickel. And the savings wouldn't necessarily be spent on something else.

As to simply scrapping BRT and 'just fixing London Transit', there are problems with that idea. One of the problems is that the LTC's major difficulties consist of a lack of frequency, speed and reliability. The only way you can fix that problem is to vastly increase the number of busses and drivers.

You would have to further rejig the traffic lights so that they give the busses priority over other traffic. Eventually you would still have to build railway underpasses and create special bus right-of-way lanes to accommodate the greater number of busses and meet improved service standards.

And then you would have to build some sort of central bus station downtown to handle the increased frequency, and this is something that is not being considered under the BRT plan.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, you expanded the LTC to a total of 400 busses. The cost of the new busses, at $500K per copy, and 200 additional drivers at a salary (including benefits) of $70K annually, would cost a total of $114 million in the first year of operations. We haven't even yet looked at the cost of railway underpasses or rights of way where they will be needed.

That $114 million isn't too far off from London's share of the BRT spending envelope.

Beyond that, there are very few things that can be done to improve service. And most of them would likely be piecemeal and incremental.

People don't seem to understand that BRT isn't some pie-in-the-sky project that Matt Brown supported so he could call it his crowning achievement.

Teams of planners and engineers studied it and recommended it long before Brown arrived, because they found it was the most effective and least costly way of fixing London Transit's problems and accommodating future population growth.

Most cities that have created successful BRT systems have had the same experience in arriving at a decision to employ BRT.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:05 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Guaran-fucking-tee you that the mayor and local council will lose my vote if they let BRT/tunnel slip through their greasy fingers just like they did with LRT and before that, rethink London, etc. Small town boys.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Guaran-fucking-tee you that the mayor and local council will lose my vote if they let BRT/tunnel slip through their greasy fingers just like they did with LRT and before that, rethink London, etc. Small town boys.
Same here. If that happens, then I think London should rename itself to Loserville. 'Small town boys'. Yeah, exactly that if they deep-six the BRT project. Cowards who couldn't stand up to people like Georgopoulos and Farhi, who vehemently oppose BRT.

Speaking of those two luminaries, I have a sneaking suspicion that they are the real force behind DownShift and are trying to whip up opposition to BRT so they won't have to pay increased development charges for whatever downtown core projects they plan to build. I always believe in the idea of following the money to find answers to why some things are the way they are, so...

I'll be eligible to retire in the next 3 - 5 years. If BRT doesn't go through, then I'll take that as a sign that London isn't going to be a great place to retire, and look further afield for a place to spend my golden years.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:13 PM
User Registered

The stars aligned 50 years ago when London's freeway system was proposed. City, province and feds were behind it. Scrapped.

The stars are now aligned for a 'base' for London's rapid transit system. City, province and feds are behind it. May be scrapped.

Maybe in another 50 years, the stars will align again, and London will scrap it.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
The stars aligned 50 years ago when London's freeway system was proposed. City, province and feds were behind it. Scrapped.

The stars are now aligned for a 'base' for London's rapid transit system. City, province and feds are behind it. May be scrapped.

Maybe in another 50 years, the stars will align again, and London will scrap it.
Yep, that's the London way. Study things to death, shelve them and do nothing. Never make a concrete decision because somebody might complain, and getting votes in the next election matters more than anything else.

All I can say is this:

Tomorrow will be an interesting day. We'll get to see if the city is actually going to build BRT or cave into a tiny minority of whiners.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:50 PM

What did they decide?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
What did they decide?
The meeting starts at 2:30 PM.

Agenda here:

http://sire.london.ca/mtgviewer.aspx...doctype=AGENDA

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 6:45 PM

Yes, London has a history of debating everything and going nothing.

Sometimes this has had positive results as due to it's lack of willingness to do bold things, it managed to escape the urban carnage of the 1960s "urban renewal" projects including urban freeways that destroy the urban fabric and break up communities. This had lead to London having a very solid urban fabric and walkability.

It has though also stopped needed things like the infamous "ring-road" that was a major point of discussion when I was a kid in London in the 1970s. It has also helped lead to the situation the city is in today possibly missing out on a viable rapid transit system for a traffic chocked city to say nothing of the massive amounts of government largess the city would enjoy.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:50 AM

Last edited by Spoofy; Oct 10, 2023 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:04 AM
The Vomit Bag.

from bad to worse. Exactly what I expected from London's leaders. Keep up the mediocrity, boys. Why not just expand that shunting yard from Adelaide Street westward? Keep it shitty. I'm sorry but I have to say it: this city sucks. I'd be out of here like a fart in the wind, except for my job (and even then, I am quite mobile). Yes, there are plenty worse places...but then there are also plenty of better, forward-looking places. Good luck trying to entice UWO grads to hang out in London. "London is the City of Craportunity" Fuck you, Farhi. Fuck you, council. Fuck you, downshift.

Nothing at all rapid in the second largest London on the planet. Rethimpk London.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:34 AM

So the BRT is a go but I don't understand how they would route via King & Queen? Has someone got a map or explain to me the downtown routes please?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:48 AM

Last edited by Spoofy; Oct 10, 2023 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Providing more information

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:24 AM

It makes me so angry they decided to scrap the tunnel. Now thanks to all the stupid fucking londoners who never want any change, we are going to probably be stuck with a shitty BRT system. Fuck London and everyone who was against BRT and the tunnel, London is just going to end up becoming the next Detroit.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
It makes me so angry they decided to scrap the tunnel. Now thanks to all the stupid fucking londoners who never want any change, we are going to probably be stuck with a shitty BRT system. Fuck London and everyone who was against BRT and the tunnel, London is just going to end up becoming the next Detroit.
Don't insult Detroit!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure