HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Great pics! It may not make much of an impact on the skyline from afar, but I like that it's behind the historic Luhrs buildings and somehow makes them stand out more.
I do find it odd that this 20 story gets lost in he skyline, it is in just the right spot to get blocked in nearly every direction by other stuff.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 8:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I do find it odd that this 20 story gets lost in he skyline, it is in just the right spot to get blocked in nearly every direction by other stuff.
The floor spacing after the 5th floor is really really short. Looks like a 9' spacing! lol.

I was hoping for a crown or something, but it looks like it's topped at 19 floors. Again, overall I like the building. It does add density to the area. Now if they can just do something across the street!

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 9:48 PM
BANNED

All four of the photos show an impressive high rise building. Can't see it from the freeway? Get off the freeway and drive downtown. Nice and big there.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:22 PM

I can see this building's top five floors from my bedroom but that's it, though if you head south down central it's pretty prominently displayed. I think it definitely makes an impact from some angles.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:52 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
All four of the photos show an impressive high rise building. Can't see it from the freeway? Get off the freeway and drive downtown. Nice and big there.
Lol, I drive by it nearly 4 or 5 times per week. At 236', it's not all that tall. I forgot this IS Phoenix though!

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 1:46 AM

Yeah it's really only visible from along the I17. From the east it's blocked by Chase & Summit. From the west it's blocked by the court complex. From the north, we'll know that story. And from south it does the Predator move and melds into the background. Maybe they should take a cue from Summit and go crayon crazy with the facade.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
Yeah it's really only visible from along the I17. From the east it's blocked by Chase & Summit. From the west it's blocked by the court complex. From the north, we'll know that story. And from south it does the Predator move and melds into the background. Maybe they should take a cue from Summit and go crayon crazy with the facade.
I like how it's pulling downtown one block down. What has been a creepy and confusing street suddenly has a purpose.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 6:02 PM

Topped out:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 9:44 PM
BANNED

Lots of quibbling about how tall it should have been or that it can't be seen from the freeway well, the good thing is that it's built and adds more density and activity to the area. It should thrive with CityScape across the street and other retail at some point along Jefferson in the Luhrs building and arcade.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 10:50 PM

It's better than it not existing at all. It's just not all it could've/should've been. Pretty typical for Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxhbg View Post
It's better than it not existing at all. It's just not all it could've/should've been. Pretty typical for Phoenix.
Ugh.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 10:18 PM

Haven't posted here in a long time...but going back (again) to Phoenix area next month...so, my valuable opinion I will offer...

Nothing but a big box but, hey, let's not forget that Vancouver (considered a world-class downtown) is really nothing more than similarly-heighted (word?) boxes. It's just super-dense. So, to me, anything to put buildings on corners helps. It's not a dream building...and it seems like Phoenix will never get one of those (never ever say never ever! - MacGruber)...but it IS better than nothing. At least for me.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:31 PM
Modulator

They've added a really nice-sized cap to Luhrs to cover all the HVAC/elevator equipment. Looks like it adds nearly 2 stories of height and helps break up the flat top a little bit.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:48 PM

Still no full-scale renderings?

Show me that damn facade already!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 7:21 PM

I am wondering what sort of crown or topping it's going to have because it is built up a bit. This may be more than just a generic box.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:28 PM
Modulator

I couldn't ger a pic, but glass is going up on the East side and so far, it doesn't seem to look anything like the renderings we have seen.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:30 PM
Modulator

I couldn't get a pic, but glass is going up on the East side and so far, it doesn't seem to look anything like the renderings we have seen. Looks more like Cityscape type of mirrored glass

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:09 AM

For everyone saying "it's better than nothing," you realize this was not an empty lot, correct? A historic 2-story building was sacrificed in order for the City to save the rest of the block. Is a generic 19-story box better than a rehabbed 2-story historic building with affordable lofts and small business/retail on the bottom? I don't think it is. With Barrister, Luhrs, the demolished Luhrs Building, and the demolished St. James and Madison, there was a great historic bridge between the WH District and downtown. A dual-branded Marriott would have been fine on any vacant lot downtown, but wasn't worth ridding the area of the structures needed for housing things for all these guests to visit/do.

Anyway, it's done. Hopefully, the added pedestrian activity and potential Barrister Place project will be enough to fill in the vacant retail, etc. Am curious to see the skin - the developers specifically mentioned that the design referenced the demo'd building,... value-engineered?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
For everyone saying "it's better than nothing," you realize this was not an empty lot, correct? A historic 2-story building was sacrificed in order for the City to save the rest of the block. Is a generic 19-story box better than a rehabbed 2-story historic building with affordable lofts and small business/retail on the bottom?
This is extremely subjective.

I think it's better, as a whole, for the city. The hotel will bring more money into the city on a regular basis which in turn makes it more attractive for more businesses to operate there, tourism money should not be underrated when it comes to spurring development. The building in that location would have been fine in the long run if someone had been able to save the façade and build over it but that would have likely been cost prohibitive, so what we have now is something that will bring action and money to the area, I'm more than fine with it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:16 PM

^ your point is well-made and valid. but, bottom line, DT phoenix needs to get people into DT phoenix and i am sure every single "good" urban core in the world has its fair share of useless boxes. but we don't get signature projects in the future if people aren't located DT. so, to that end, this is progress. won't restate all the things wrong with urbanism in Arizona...so choose to focus on the future and call this a win as DT phoenix will have greater urban density and more people walking the streets after this is added. someday...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest