HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 12:58 PM

Weather Advisories...

I was watching TV at the Mc D's in Pickering yesterday (we were on our way back to Ottawa), and they started going on about severe weather advisories for the GTA. Minus 15 degree weather, plus a windchill...and 2-4cm of snow expected last night...AWWW MUFFIN'S I thought...lol!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 1:03 PM
Still optimistic

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I was watching TV at the Mc D's in Pickering yesterday (we were on our way back to Ottawa), and they started going on about severe weather advisories for the GTA. Minus 15 degree weather, plus a windchill...and 2-4cm of snow expected last night...AWWW MUFFIN'S I thought...lol!
Toronto has trouble dealing with any sort of extream weather if you want to call it that.I was in toronto a couple years ago in feb they had a warning for 4 cm of snow but there were acting like it was 40 cm the city at parts was like a ghost town stores were closed/schools etc.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Toronto has trouble dealing with any sort of extream weather if you want to call it that.I was in toronto a couple years ago in feb they had a warning for 4 cm of snow but there were acting like it was 40 cm the city at parts was like a ghost town stores were closed/schools etc.
Remember that Ottawa is about 6C colder on average in the winter than Toronto (-10C vs. -4C mean), and averages about 35% more snow per season (about 210cm vs. 135cm). That probably plays a huge role - they aren't as used to the cold and snow. It's not uncommon - especially in the early and late winter - for rain to fall in Toronto (at least in the city) while snow falls in most of the rest of Ontario.

In the summer, the differences are only about 1-2C (Toronto averages 22C in July, Ottawa 21C).

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It's funny, because after our first snow storm this year, I felt like Ottawa was pretty shitty in dealing with that type of weather, but that's just because I'm from Thunder Bay.

I guess it's all relative, heh.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 1:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach6668 View Post
It's funny, because after our first snow storm this year, I felt like Ottawa was pretty shitty in dealing with that type of weather, but that's just because I'm from Thunder Bay.

I think Ottawa generally gets a fair bit more snow than Thunder Bay, at least in my experience that's true. Thunder Bay is generally very cold, but also very sunny.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach6668 View Post

The first storm of the season is always a challenge in Ottawa. People forget how to drive, or forget the need to shovel, or the need to scrape their cars. A whole bunch of late drivers on unexpectedly crappy roads is a recipe for disaster.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I think Ottawa generally gets a fair bit more snow than Thunder Bay, at least in my experience that's true. Thunder Bay is generally very cold, but also very sunny.
You`re right about the snow. That surprises me. Per Wikipedia, it`s 235 cm vs 187 cm.

It is definitely colder there, I can agree with that much.

I never really thought about the sunniness, I`ve never really noticed, other than the fact that the sun goes down way earlier here, due to our respective geographical locations within the same time zone. It does seem to be overcast here quite a bit, though.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 1:00 PM

I've noticed that the snow isn't actually being removed from the streets this year (at least, where I've driven), like it was last year. I get the feeling they are just going to keep plowing it until there's no room left, and then remove it. City hall really dropped the ball on the snow removal budget in the last 2 years...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 1:59 PM
Mooderator

I found my street gets plowed right away, a lot faster than last year (but then I'm not in Ottawa).

They usually come by right after I clear the driveway, never fails.

I've grown soft to these Ottawa winters.. this coming from someone that grew up on the prairies. You guys don't know cold!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I found my street gets plowed right away, a lot faster than last year (but then I'm not in Ottawa).

They usually come by right after I clear the driveway, never fails.

I've grown soft to these Ottawa winters.. this coming from someone that grew up on the prairies. You guys don't know cold!
It does get cold here there are days when its -30 plus a windchill.Ottawa is the 2nd coldes capital in the world just behind moscow.I would not call ottawa winters soft not at all.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 1:28 PM
Mooderator

Yes, there are some bitter cold nights but there is never a prolonged stretch of frigid cold here like you get on the prairies. Just my opinion. I'm not calling you guys soft.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Yes, there are some bitter cold nights but there is never a prolonged stretch of frigid cold here like you get on the prairies. Just my opinion. I'm not calling you guys soft.
The bottom line is ottawa can handle winter alot better then some ofter ontario citys.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 6:46 PM

Quote:
It does get cold here there are days when its -30 plus a windchill.Ottawa is the 2nd coldes capital in the world just behind moscow.I would not call ottawa winters soft not at all.
Actually, Ulaan Baatar (Mongolia) is significantly colder than both Ottawa and Moscow (which are virtually tied in terms of average temperatures, Ottawa is about 3C warmer in the summer and 3C colder in the winter).

Thanks to its cool summers, Helsinki is also slightly cooler than both of them, and Tallinn (Estonia) also average slightly lower.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion