HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Concrete generates a lot of heat when it cures, that's how they can cast it in freezing temperatures.
I have heard many opinions on casting concrete in cold temps....you sure can tell who the engineer wanna be types are, and the ones who have hands on knowledge and understanding.

I agree with Johnny on the internal heat of curing concrete, as well, others have added value with thier input, i.e., insulating blankets and use of propane, or natural gas heaters under slab, insulating columns with straw, hmmmm, sounds a little primative, but I can imagine that it would work, as straw/hay also reacts and generates its own internal heat as well. Bottom Line...Building Erecting does not stop because it is raining or snowing out!!

P.S., Glazing in sub zero temps, well I can remember last year, winter of 2007 I think the air temp was -29 c, with the wind chill was -43 c, and yes, I was still outside Glazing. Damn Slave Driving Boss. I have since found another Glazing Company to work for.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 10:37 AM

Dec 7 - 2007 - Chicago Spire ramp.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering