HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:52 AM

I seriously doubt this will get built. Motors, bearings, gears, they all wear. The building would require considerable on-going maintenance, especially considering the scale and loading on the parts. Not that spinning building floors don't exist. They do. But every floor? In non-commercial buildings? I have to believe the burden of overhead expeneses needed to keep it operational would make it ... well, okay, I guess we are talking Dubai here. Anything could fly in Dubai.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:12 AM

Going to be commercial or Residential or both? are they going to leave it on all day and night or have times when it stops each day? because even going slow would become annoying.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 4:45 PM
BANNED

it is a plasma bldg... cool, but the same huge money could be used building much more normal residences with good quality with less price to be bought for a lot of people living from rate rent appartment.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 5:26 AM

this is a very fascinating building. BTW, has anyone heard any news on this recently?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 10:58 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Could be a pipe dream that never started. Although it's part of a project called "city of arabia" which is ridiculously late so who knows when and if it will get built.

Personally I'm more interested in stuff like dubai marina where all those supertall projects are real and activity can be seen.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 10:51 PM
BANNED

who desiend this building anyway???

[if anyone said i wanst paying attion]

{soory}

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 4:43 PM
Baryonic Lord

Now they too have spinnas...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 3:33 PM

The building is designed by David Fischer and LERA Ass. are involved with structural enginering (you know the same guy who did WTC among others)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:36 AM
Up Up and Away

I'm going to say... This building should not be built.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 3:35 PM

Well... I say build it!
Practical or not, it will be a lesson learned. Breaking into new territory here. Some people in the UAE just seem to have assloads of money to burn, so why not innovate? If its beautiful or hideous, either way there is significant knowledge to be taken away from the effort. I'd bet on the result being hideous, but hey, its Dubai, it wouldnt really mess up their already stellar skyline! In fact, it would blend right into the freakshow!
Huge practical problems? You bet. Unique engineering solutions to these problems? Sure. If they want it, DO IT! Folly or not, all of us will walk away from this experiment a little bit smarter.
This goes way beyond the "rotating resturant"! I want to see a massive civil engineering project like this cross over into the realm of mechanical engineering! Not just statics here, this is now a question of dynamics and machine design!
Please think again before you poo-poo all over this. You dont need to invest your own cash into this project, or even like it. But you cant deny that trying new things and learning from them is a good thing!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
I'm going to say... This building should not be built.
why?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 1:47 AM

Um does the kyoto protocol apply to Dubai. Seriously what American wants to go on a plane for like 16 hours to go to some Europe/American wanntabe. THis is really retarted! Whats the point if it takes like a week to fully rotate?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects