HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 4:09 PM

Frustration!

Just for fun, let's start a thread of particularily ignorant statements regarding civic functionality. They can be quoted or paraphrased from informal discussion, copied online, from the Spec, whatever. I'll start:

Quote:
"But who is interested in downtown? Nobody's even interested in the downtown. I'm not, whatsoever..."
That comes from a co-worker and Flamborough resident

Or this one, from a friend and lifelong Stoney Creek resident:
Quote:
So where is the Lister Block?
I'm hoping that people will not find this stupid or irrelevant and call for it's removal from the board, but rather choose to contribute their own, as I'm sure the examples are plenty. As some have pointed out, there's so much sarcasm on this board. I agree, and it deserves a focal point.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 4:18 PM
Closed account

^^ hahaha OMG, I could fill up an entire thread just from conversing with my mother about downtown! hahaha

From Thursday on our way from my condo to Black Forest Inn
(down Walnut... 9min walk... she insisted on driving as it was 'too cold')
"Augusta Lofts? Ugh... who'd want to live in THOSE? The bldg looks like it's about to fall to peices."
"No mom, you need to look at the RENDERING"
"Oh... well stilll. I don't know WHO would want to live in a bldg that looks like that!" (still referring to it's current condition).

HAHAHAHAHA

My mom was born and raised in the North End, lived in Jamesville up until 1986 when we moved to Greenhill then eventually Upper Stoney Creek. And she's STILL this ignorant about downtown. Most people her age (baby-boomers) don't appreciate heritage bldgs & the fact that they can be restored. All they see is "DEMO DEMO DEMO".
On a related note, she LOVED the Cityview Terrace
"I remember there was a disgusting, old bldg that used to be there. Looks MUCH better now!" <--- as we were walking to Black Forest on the same evening.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hammer'd

The Spec's survey video on the Lister Block disgusted me. It seemed like they were all the way out in Burlington or Ancaster asking people about it. Of course all the answers they got were "Lister what-now?" or "Yah, just tear it down. Eyesore.". Out of the 15 or so people they interview, only 2 people had anything positive to say about it. I'd estimate 10 of them didn't even know where it was, or had only actually seen the place once or twice.

If you're going to ask people about the building, at least go downtown so you can point at the bloody thing when you're asking. People in Ancaster aren't going to know about it, and even if they do they probably won't give a shit.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion