HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:14 AM

I agree with you rocc, Antropov is a valuable piece. Does a lot of subtle things.

It's always nice to beat the Leafs, but we still struggled to score against a very tired hockey team. Wheeler looks so good charging wide off the wing. Great speed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I guess Claude Noel is suddenly an amazing coach now, eh Wayward? They played awesome tonight. Sometimes in order to win a team game, more than one person needs to be liable and responsible for the wins losses. All 22 Players, Coaches, Staff, Ownership. Everyone needs to work harder to prevent a loss, and keep there heads on after a win. Good game tonight boys. Although I am proud of my Jets win or lose, as long as they have heart.
careful, your marxist views have no room for logic

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:56 PM
ILYR

Construction of probability of the Jets making the playoffs (so this is construction related)

There is plenty of talk about the Jets being in 3rd in the East, but the other teams have all these games in hand. So that being said I have done some math to show what record all the lower ranked teams would need to have to reach 95 points. I choose 95 as this is an average of the 8th place teams from last year (this includes points for division leaders, which were all way above 95 last year). For the east 8th was 93 and the west was 95 points.

TM - Team
GM - games played
PTS - points
GR - games remaining
MX - Maximum number of points a team could get this season based on the remaining games
NP - number of points needed for a team to reach the 95 point mark
W - L - OTL - the record required by each team to reach 95 points

TM GM PTS GR MX NP W L OTL
WPG 63 67 19 105 28 14 5 0
FLR 59 66 23 112 29 14 8 1
TOR 61 65 21 107 30 15 6 0
WSH 60 63 22 107 32 16 6 0
TMB 60 60 22 107 35 17 4 1
BUF 60 59 22 103 36 18 4 0
NYI 60 58 22 102 37 18 4 1
CAR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1
MTR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1

What is immediately apparent from this is that the minimum number of points to make the playoffs will likely be less than last year. None of these teams are likely to finish with these records. Even Florida, which has the most realistic record required to reach the 95 point mark, will be in tough to win 14 they way they have been playing. The Jets have an advantage over Toronto, Buffalo and NYI as they have the division title in reach as well. I have a hard time believing Montreal or Carolina will have records anywhere near 18-3-1.

Personally I think 8th will need a minimum of 91-93 pts. Either way the Jets and Florida are in control of their own destiny, whereas the other teams will need a bit of help. It going to be interesting.

I guess for those Habs fans it all went downhill after the opening win in Winnipeg.

GO JETS GO!!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Construction of probability of the Jets making the playoffs (so this is construction related)

There is plenty of talk about the Jets being in 3rd in the East, but the other teams have all these games in hand. So that being said I have done some math to show what record all the lower ranked teams would need to have to reach 95 points. I choose 95 as this is an average of the 8th place teams from last year (this includes points for division leaders, which were all way above 95 last year). For the east 8th was 93 and the west was 95 points.

TM - Team
GM - games played
PTS - points
GR - games remaining
MX - Maximum number of points a team could get this season based on the remaining games
NP - number of points needed for a team to reach the 95 point mark
W - L - OTL - the record required by each team to reach 95 points

TM GM PTS GR MX NP W L OTL
WPG 63 67 19 105 28 14 5 0
FLR 59 66 23 112 29 14 8 1
TOR 61 65 21 107 30 15 6 0
WSH 60 63 22 107 32 16 6 0
TMB 60 60 22 107 35 17 4 1
BUF 60 59 22 103 36 18 4 0
NYI 60 58 22 102 37 18 4 1
CAR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1
MTR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1

What is immediately apparent from this is that the minimum number of points to make the playoffs will likely be less than last year. None of these teams are likely to finish with these records. Even Florida, which has the most realistic record required to reach the 95 point mark, will be in tough to win 14 they way they have been playing. The Jets have an advantage over Toronto, Buffalo and NYI as they have the division title in reach as well. I have a hard time believing Montreal or Carolina will have records anywhere near 18-3-1.

Personally I think 8th will need a minimum of 91-93 pts. Either way the Jets and Florida are in control of their own destiny, whereas the other teams will need a bit of help. It going to be interesting.

I guess for those Habs fans it all went downhill after the opening win in Winnipeg.

GO JETS GO!!!
I can't see any of the above teams achieving those projections.
Hate to say it, but Fla.s 4 games in hand could make the difference for the Jets making the playoffs. Jets would be fortunate to go 11-6-2. maybe good for 7th or 8th. Got an e-mail from the Jets regarding playoff tickets last week,
got till March 2nd to committ. Gotta go for it, if it doesn't happen, money gets applied to next years season tickets.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 9:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Jets just put Miettnen of waivers.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 9:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Jets just put Miettnen of waivers.
Not a big surprise there.

Was a cheap experiment that didn't pan out as well as Wellwood did.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:14 PM

I would be very surprised if he was claimed. I'm hopeful though.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:37 AM

Things are looking up in Winnipeg. Perhaps the Jets should stay in the Southeast division afterall.

Anyway, got my fingers crossed...you guys deserve a little playoff action.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I would be very surprised if he was claimed. I'm hopeful though.
I have a feeling our organization would rather let him choose his own path (i.e. let him go) and promote within the organization (like bring someone up from the Ice Caps -- who are really ripping it up in the AHL btw) than trade him. He's not a bad player but he just didn't mesh here. Now obviously that doesn't mean he will for certain be traded or signed off, but its looking likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Things are looking up in Winnipeg. Perhaps the Jets should stay in the Southeast division afterall.

Anyway, got my fingers crossed...you guys deserve a little playoff action.
We have to be careful not to get too far ahead of ourselves, as there are 3 other teams we are tight with (Leafs, Caps, Panthers) who all have games-in-hand on us.

Besides, it looks like we may very well be in the Southeast next year as the NHLPA rejected the realignment plan which -- in my eyes -- was a clear shot toward the new CBA. Fehr doesn't mess around. He had some heft when he was with the MLB, and changed a lot for their player's association, so Bettman will have his hands full. I liked the realignment, as being in the Southeast does us no favours.

Wish the Habs beat the Caps last night but that was a weak effort on their part.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 1:49 PM

^Well, it looks like the Leafs are done...one less team to worry about.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:59 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

We're no longer first in the division, but it's expected because again, we played the most games in the league thus far, and everybody else are just catching up.

As for the Leafs, that was also expected, as usual.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 5:59 PM

Seen at a recent Jets game:
Phil Sheegl sitting in Shindico's corporate seats. Hmm...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 6:17 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Seen at a recent Jets game:
Phil Sheegl sitting in Shindico's corporate seats. Hmm...
Should have taken a picture.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:45 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Wow, we completely destroyed the Panthers tonight. That V formation they did on that 5 on 1 break away was straight out of the Mighty Ducks playbook!

We're still waiting on a hat trick from either Kane or Wheeler this season.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:01 AM

This was a much closer game then the 7-0 score would indicate. Pavelec kept us alive during the Panther barrage in the second. We got a nice early goal, and a greasy one a shortly there after to open up a 2-0 lead. The flood gates opened in the 3rd, but I thought it was two periods of really good hockey, and if Fleishmann converted, this could have been a different game.

I'm happy, but this was not our best game. We played better against St. Louis in the shoot out loss in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:21 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...141154603.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Millions to aid True North

Province, city chip in $6.9M

By: Bartley Kives

Posted: 03/2/2012 1:00 AM | Comments: 111 (including replies)

Quote:
WINNIPEGGERS aren't just cheering for the Jets, they're also funnelling $6.9 million to True North Sports & Entertainment this year through city and provincial subsidies for pro sports teams.

And public support for the NHL club will climb to almost $11 million a year, once the province completes the transfer of 90 VLTs to the vicinity of the MTS Centre.

Winnipeg's 2012 operating budget calls for True North Sports & Entertainment to collect $5.8 million in entertainment-funding taxes, which the company remits to the city and then gets back in the form of a refund. This money is included in the price of Jets tickets and does not affect the city's bottom line, although the city enables the club to levy the 10 per cent charge.

The city does, however, grant True North a full refund on its business taxes, worth $250,000 a year. The city and province also grant the club a 79 per cent discount on property taxes, thanks to a special designation for the MTS Centre as a recreational property instead of as a commercial business. This break amounts to $816,140 under the current property assessment, according to the city.

Together, these mechanisms account for $6.9 million this year. The province is also in the midst of transferring VLTs to the Tavern United pub and, potentially, a cityplace sports bar, and allow the club to retain the gaming revenue from these machines. This contribution will be capped at $4 million a year for 20 years, the province announced in 2011.

Given True North's demonstrated success, it's not clear why two levels of government are supporting the business, said Colin Craig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

"I support the Winnipeg Jets, but you have a very, very profitable company. It's legitimate to ask why the taxpayer has to give the Jets special tax breaks," Craig said.

Mayor Sam Katz, however, noted most of the revenue in question would not exist if the NHL did not return to Winnipeg. And a spokesman for Premier Greg Selinger said the city would not be able to support the Jets without the help of the province.

"We are committed to ensuring the long-term viability of this community asset," Selinger's office said in a statement. "The provincial commitment going forward allows True North to focus on the business of running an NHL franchise and entertainment venue, without worrying about the mortgage on the MTS centre."

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Support systems

PUBLIC funding mechanisms that support True North Sports & Entertainment:

City entertainment tax refund: $5.8 million in 2012

Provincial gaming revenue: Up to $4 million a year, for 19 more years

City-provincial property-tax break: $816,140 annually, based on current assessment

City business-tax refund: $250,000 annually

-- sources: City of Winnipeg, Province of Manitoba

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 2, 2012 A4

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:50 AM

Na na na na
na na na na
hey, hey, hey
goodbye!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 11:40 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by way-out View Post
after losing this evening I thought Claude Noel’s remark that perhaps he should ‘kill’ his players for that bad performance was beyond pathetic. He did nothing this year to improve this team from last years Thrashers ‘efforts’. You can’t fire the whole team...it’s time to fire Noel.
Don't hold your breath for that. True North is about stability, and firing a great coach because you can't think of anything else to do is not how you achieve that.

Last edited by Andy6; Apr 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by way-out View Post
after losing this evening I thought Claude Noel’s remark that perhaps he should ‘kill’ his players for that bad performance was beyond pathetic. He did nothing this year to improve this team from last years Thrashers ‘efforts’. You can’t fire the whole team...it’s time to fire Noel.
Probably the dumbest idea yet.

Noel is just fine. He is a good coach and players like to play for him.

Since day one Chevy and Chipman have said that the first season won't see major changes to the roster. Expect a couple of trades at draft day.

Good teams are built slowly and players are developed.

You don't just fire the coach and sell the young prospects for a star goalie and a couple of snipers.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:00 PM

Jets first season in Winnipeg for 15 years ends tomorrow! To only think this time last year we were on the outside looking in; heck the last several years we were looking in.

Its cool seeing the NHL back in Winnipeg and be the success story that it is, after years of people doubting certain streams of logic

Now they're talking about Saskatoon being an NHL city.

Talk about a turn-around form the critics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan