HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 4:01 PM

Got my round trips to Cancun! $123 each.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:12 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Okay not to be mean or anything, but that rendering of the terminal looks like something you would see in a small town airport of maybe 5,000. I almost wanted to laugh when I saw that. LOL South terminal. Looks like a warehouse. I know its supposed to just be bare essentials but It just looks kinda funny

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 8:20 PM

Well, it is only the temporary terminal, until they decide whether to build the GE backed permanent one. Jet Blue operated out of something that looked like that at JFK while their terminal improvements were under construction.. froze my ass off in it back in Feb 2007.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:50 PM

Fly to Cancun for $51 from Orlando

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...uid=0&t=739066

But from Houston which is closer and has bigger airports, we pay $400

Scam after scam after scam

Houstonians are left out to greedy Continental.

I hate Continental

I am dying to see Jetblue, frontier, skyair, vivaaerobus flying from Houston to anywhere in Mexico.

God, I can not wait.

Last edited by misterno; Feb 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Okay not to be mean or anything, but that rendering of the terminal looks like something you would see in a small town airport of maybe 5,000. I almost wanted to laugh when I saw that. LOL South terminal. Looks like a warehouse. I know its supposed to just be bare essentials but It just looks kinda funny
well, personally I do not care how the terminal looks like.As long as it is safe and clean I will use it.

I would hate to drive 3 hours to Austin but I guess I am gonna have to.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:49 PM

AUSTIN AIR TRAVEL

Indianapolis joins growing list of nonstop destinations from Austin
Travelers will be able to fly nonstop to 43 cities outside of Texas.
Click-2-Listen
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is adding nonstop flights at a record pace, with seven so far coming in 2008.

On Wednesday, Northwest Airlines said it would start nonstop flights to Indianapolis on May 2.

By summer, Central Texans will be able to fly nonstop to 43 cities outside of Texas, including three in Mexico and one in Canada.

Nonstop service is more than a convenience for leisure travelers. The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce says it's a top issue in recruiting companies because executives want to know they can easily travel to regional offices in other states.

Northwest will offer one flight daily to Indianapolis, through its Pinnacle Airlines partner, on 50-passenger Bombardier CRJ 200 jets.

Nonstop service to most of the new destinations will begin in May; Southwest's service to Philadelphia starts March 17.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 3:30 PM

Can somoeone tell me why the tax percentage for the same flight is different from Vivaaerobus to Continental?

There is huge difference. I am talking about flights to Cancun one from Austin the other from Houston. What makes the flight tax % vary?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:26 PM

www.abia.com headlines

Indy - Austin nonstop via Northwest Airlines to begin May 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toronto - Austin nonstop via Air Canada to begin May 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record year with passengers nearing 8.9 million

New Austin - Philadelphia nonstop on Southwest Airlines begins March 17, 2008

United Airlines announces new Los Angeles–Austin service, scheduled to begin Feb. 13, 2008

New Charlotte NS

www.bizjournals.com/austin
Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:14 AM CST

Charlotte to Austin nonstop flight to kick off in MayAustin Business Journal
Print Article Email Article Reprints RSS Feeds Add to Del.icio.us Digg This
US Airways will start new nonstop flights from its largest hub in Charlotte, N.C. to Austin on May 5.

The airline [NYSE:LCC] will use its US Airways Express carrier Mesa Airlines and fly the routes on 86-seat Bombardier manufactured Canadair CRJ900 regional jets.

US Airways is also launching nonstop service to San Antonio.

US Airways officials say they added the flights because of Austin and San Antonio's mix of tourism, business, government and education.

From Austin the flights will leave at 7:00 a.m., arriving in Charlotte at 10:27 a.m. and leave Austin again at 12:13 p.m., arriving in Charlotte at 3:40 p.m.

For San Antonio services, Charlotte flights will leave North Carolina at 9:45 a.m., arriving in San Antonio at 12:05 p.m. and leave Charlotte again at 6:00 p.m. arriving at 8:14 p.m. From San Antonio to Charlotte, flights will leave Texas at 7:00 a.m., arriving in Charlotte at 10:38 a.m. and leave again at 1:00 p.m., arriving at 4:38 p.m.

United Airlines will also begin its nonstop flight from Austin to Los Angeles on Feb. 13.

With the new Charlotte flights, Austin city officials say Austin Bergstrom International Airport now has 53 nonstop destinations, including current flights and planned routes.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:48 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Goodness, very nice indeed. Hopefully we should hear something about the first expansion.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:56 PM

WTF is going on with Austin? Howcome nothing is going on in Houston?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
WTF is going on with Austin? Howcome nothing is going on in Houston?
Houston always has several times the magnitude of things going on at their airport, don't worry. We Austinites just get excited about any new direct service, because it is a big deal for us. In Houston it would be no big deal.

I think H-Town recently got directs to Dubai and Signapore, further solidifying it's position in the handful of cities in the US with serious international routes. Now THAT is a big deal.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 7:56 PM

Incidentally, while Signapore and Dubai seem like awesome cities to see (especially if you like Skyscrapers), I'd never visit either because of fear of something like this happening:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1770&ito=1490

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc...ion/index.html

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:44 AM

Anyone who travels to foreign countries other than Australia, New Zealand,Japan, Argentina, Chile, and the Euro countries is a DAMN fool..If you travel to Northern Latin America, Southern and Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and (DUH) Africa you deserve the problems that will occur there...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:56 AM

^Wow, a little harsh wouldn't you say. I hope to travel to all of those places eventually, one must abide by the laws of the nation you are traveling to. Oh, and by the way, just because its a European country doesn't mean its without problems. Problems can be found just around the corner, that doesn't mean I'm hiding out in my house.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 6:04 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Anyone who travels to foreign countries other than Australia, New Zealand,Japan, Argentina, Chile, and the Euro countries is a DAMN fool..If you travel to Northern Latin America, Southern and Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and (DUH) Africa you deserve the problems that will occur there...
There are plenty of wonderful foreign (and safe) places to visit. Just hit up the foreign sections of this forum to see for yourself. Visit the 'My City Photos International' section to see all the places. Even the places that are typically thought of as being off limits still have their charm and safety.

I do have to agree with you about Dubai and Singapore though. They've been on my no go list for a while.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
^Wow, a little harsh wouldn't you say. I hope to travel to all of those places eventually, one must abide by the laws
Wait -- are you referring to Spaceman's post or the laws in the two cities I mentioned? Cause by my reckoning, those laws are a lot more harsh than his post...

Call me crazy, but if I'm going to visit a place I'd expect my worst experience to be that the hotel is noisy or has an uncomfortable bed. Maybe lost luggage, at the worst. 4 years in prison for a speck of pot on my shoe? No thanks... You can build another 200 floors on the Burj Dubai and I could care less.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 1:09 PM

I was referring to the other places on the list, yes Dubai and Singapore both seem like facist hell to me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 5:24 PM

Thread Title Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Low cost airline comes to Austin

06:42 PM CST on Monday, November 5, 2007

KVUE.com

An ultra low-cost air carrier Monday announced it will begin service out of Austin Bergstrom International Airport and hopes to attract passengers with its price -- starting at $9.99.

The U.S. Department of Transportation granted Mexico's vivaAerobus the right to fly out of ABIA Monday afternoon. The carrier will fly nonstop to Cancun, Guadalajara, León, Monterrey, Puebla, and Queretaro.

The airline in no frills, and it will have a new terminal that will have no jet bridges, sophisticated baggage handling, gates or ticket counters.

“The costs of flights between Mexico and the US have been too high for too long. We are going to be the first airline to offer genuinely low fares on international flights. We will attract thousands of new American tourists to the beautiful cities in Mexico, and we will position the city of Austin as a new tourist and business destination for the people of Mexico,” said Mike Szucs.

Flights start in March. Tickets go on sale in a couple of weeks, and the company plans to expand to three more cities by the end of the summer.
Since starting this thread, it's taken on a life of its own as an ABIA thread. I decided to change the title...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:21 PM

Yet another new destination

AUS gets yet another new destination - This time Long Beach, CA on JetBlue

JetBlue Press Release

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 12, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Customer-favorite JetBlue Airways (NasdaqGS:JBLU - News) today announces a major expansion of service in the western United States, with new premium low-fare service at Los Angeles International Airport plus new intrawest routes from other Southern California regional airports to Austin, Las Vegas, San Diego, San Jose, and Seattle, all beginning this May.

JetBlue will offer one roundtrip daily between Austin and Long Beach (LGB) starting May 1, 2008.

I don't ever remember getting this much new service in a single month. So far we have

May 1:

Viva Aerobus to Monterrey and Cancun
Air Canada to Toronto
JetBlue to Long Beach

May 2:

Northwest Airlines to Indianapolis

May 5:

US Airways to Charlotte

May 11:

Southwest to Fort Lauderdale and Oakland and a second daily nonstop to Denver.

(Southwest is dropping a nonstop to both Houston and Midland/Odessa, though)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:37 PM

Hmm.. interesting that we are referred to as an "intrawest" route, esp. since we're the easternmost city in that little list. Cool news, I love JetBlue, and it's a nice alternative to AA's LAX direct flight. That little MD-80 gets pretty full sometimes.

Oddly, though, earlier this month when I traveled out of ABIA it was pretty empty. There were only 2 ladies in front of me in the security line, and one of them forgot she had a gun in her bag. Even with that hoopla, the security line was only 5 mins.

Also, ABIA gets pretty dead after 8pm. I wish everything didn't close so early there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin