HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:29 PM

Whoa, Ken Gray has started to responding to comments on his blog. Of course, he's calling anyone who questions him a troll; and only when he wants to attack their perspective. No conversation. Interesting nonetheless.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:42 PM

also nice that he stopped that creepy habit he used to have of suddenly appearing inside people's comment boxes, it made me feel so violated... (back in the day when you used to be able to comment without a stupid account, that is)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:05 AM

Refusing to discuss...how adult of him. Ken needs to learn that disagreeing with someone's views does not immediately make someone a troll.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:08 PM

"I'm a fiscal conservative." next sentence? cites the authority of Paul Krugman. you can't make this stuff up, people!
http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...blic-servants/

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:12 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting Ken's forthcoming pieces on the relationship between nanotechnology and urban planning, the rise of the novel, and what it's like to be Latina in Afghanistan.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:05 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting Ken's forthcoming pieces on the relationship between nanotechnology and urban planning, the rise of the novel, and what it's like to be Latina in Afghanistan.
Too funny! And uncannily possible...

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:35 PM

One of KG's hobby horses on LRT is how the old N-S project had attracted the most amazing team of rail planners ever assembled, but after their dreams of building the most perfect rail system ever devised was dashed against the jagged rocks of Council's malice and ineptitude, they all quit in disgust vowing to never work with good-sense-hating Ottawa ever again. Well, now what have we here?

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...trand-edition/

Quote:
Ottawa Citizen>Blogs >City >Greater Ottawa
Where are they now? (Réjean Chartrand edition)

Réjean Chartrand was the city’s lead guy on the previous rail plan, the (mostly) north-south line that was scrapped in 2006. Shortly after that plan fell apart, he left the city government.

And now?

Consultant – Senior Advisor on Public Private Partnerships
PCL Constructors Inc.

Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Civil Engineering industry
December 2010 – Present (1 year 6 months) Ottawa, Canada Area
Advising on proposal submission for the construction of the City of Ottawa $2.1B Light Rail Transit project

That’s part of the consortium led by Bouygues Travaux Publics.
imagine that? he's still interested in working on rail here? even after we rejected perfection?

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 5:00 AM

Wow, Ken's back and more hysterical than ever. We all saw this coming, but now it's here. Gotta love his opposition to using a former electric light rail corridor for electric light rail, all the while admitting he lives next to it but insisting his opposition is not personal.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion...939/story.html

Most hypocritical man ever. Ken, the stagnant 1970s are over. How does the citizen allow this to be written as an editorial from an obviously biased retired "newsman"? If I have to hear about Friends of Byron Linear Park I will puke my guts out.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Wow, Ken's back and more hysterical than ever. We all saw this coming, but now it's here. Gotta love his opposition to using a former electric light rail corridor for electric light rail, all the while admitting he lives next to it but insisting his opposition is not personal.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion...939/story.html

Most hypocritical man ever. Ken, the stagnant 1970s are over. How does the citizen allow this to be written as an editorial from an obviously biased retired "newsman"? If I have to hear about Friends of Byron Linear Park I will puke my guts out.
I'm no fan of Mr. Gray, as I find many of his columns/blogs over the top, and his shrill tone quite grating. However, in the debate over LRT, I think the City should take a serious look at Carling.

My principal concern about Carling is money. If the $600 million figure that the City cites is correct, then there is no question that Richmond-Byron is a much better option. However, if (and this is a big IF) it is possible to reduce the cost of installing LRT on Carling, then this option should be explored.

Argues Ken Gray: "Who needs all the proposed grade separations along Carling that would boost the price of the project? We’re not in the business of making car travel more convenient along that arterial road. We want people to take the multi-billion-dollar train from Carling, not their autos."

This might be the first time ever that I agree with something that the Bull Dog wrote. If LRT on Carling can be built for a decent price, then this could rejuvenate that horrible street, while reducing car usage and increasing public transit ridership. At the end of the day, Richmond-Byron may be the best option. However, as part of its due diligence, the City should take a serious look at whether LRT can be installed on Carling for a price that is much less than $600 million.

Last edited by Nepean; May 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 2:20 PM

Quote:
"Who needs all the proposed grade separations along Carling that would boost the price of the project? We’re not in the business of making car travel more convenient along that arterial road. We want people to take the multi-billion-dollar train from Carling, not their autos."
So London had the foresight of the inventions and dominance of cars when they built the Tube back in 1863? And I suppose TO build the Yonge subway line exclusively to hand it back to cars and not to increase their transit capacity. And Montreal? Metro must have been built make it easier for people throughout the city to get to Expo 67 by car.

The city isn't grade separating the system to make it easier for cars but to get a transit system that can be called rapid transit, i.e. grade separated with metro standard capacity and speed. I guess Gray skipped over the part that states the city is strongly considering taking away lanes from Richmond road to build the OLRT? Is that to make it easier to drive? Obviously not.

How do NIMBYs not realize that their opposition to absolutely everything takes away their credibility?

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:43 PM

Not related to Ken, but this CTV story takes NIMBY-ism to new heights:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

Quote:
Ottawa resident angered over bus stop location

A new location for a popular bus route stop has angered an Orleans family who came home to find the lawn beside their house torn up, May 22, 2012.

Updated: Wed May. 23 2012 1:08:46 PM
ctvottawa.ca

A new location for a popular bus route stop has caused quite a stir in Ottawa's east end.

An Orleans woman came home to find crews digging up the lawn beside her house and was told a bus stop would be going there instead.

Nancy Sanford is angry because the city never told her about its plans.

"My reaction was that I was furious because there had been no consultation. There had been no prior notice to me and I run a daycare here and it's a safety issue for my daycare children and it's also a noise and pollution factor," she said.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
This might be the first time ever that I agree with something that the Bull Dog wrote. If LRT on Carling can be built for a decent price, then this could rejuvenate that horrible street, while reducing car usage and increasing public transit ridership.
Isn't Carling supposed to be getting an LRT line (or streetcar type of service) anyway in a later phase? I think everybody agrees Carling needs an LRT line. The question is whether it should be as a part of the western leg of the east-west line or whether it should be its own line in a later phase. I'd say the latter.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Isn't Carling supposed to be getting an LRT line (or streetcar type of service) anyway in a later phase? I think everybody agrees Carling needs an LRT line. The question is whether it should be as a part of the western leg of the east-west line or whether it should be its own line in a later phase. I'd say the latter.
Yes, it is in the city's plans to put an LRT streetcar type service on Carling... a service sort of like what Ken Gray is suggesting, you know... not grade seperated, cheaper, more affordable, streetcar. So why is he complaining again?

Last edited by J.OT13; May 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yes, it is in the city's plans to put an LRT streetcar type service on Carling... a service sort of like what Ken Gray is suggesting, you know... not grade seperated, cheaper, more affordable, streetcar. So why is he complaining again?
sigh...

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Not related to Ken, but this CTV story takes NIMBY-ism to new heights:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome
The bus stop and related digging are almost certainly on city-owned property, and not on hers.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The bus stop and related digging are almost certainly on city-owned property, and not on hers.
Why do you hate the children?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuniau View Post
why do you hate the children?
consultation!

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:44 PM

What is it with Orleans?Is this the street that petitioned to have a Habitat for Humanity project move out of their neighbourhood, then succeeded in LOWERING the number of built units?

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 2:10 AM

I'm sure Ken supports the perfectly rational attitude expressed in his latest letter-turned-blog-post:

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...woes/#comments

The highlight: "No neighborhoods should have to put up with rapid transit next to their homes and schools and hospitals."

That pretty much sums up the mindset of "progressive, urban Ottawans" like Ken.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I'm sure Ken supports the perfectly rational attitude expressed in his latest letter-turned-blog-post:

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...woes/#comments

The highlight: "No neighborhoods should have to put up with rapid transit next to their homes and schools and hospitals."

That pretty much sums up the mindset of "progressive, urban Ottawans" like Ken.
Hospitals!? Like the ones on Carling Avenue?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues