HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

All new digital message boards for I-65 N&S, and 20/56 N&S are now being used. They're currently displaying information encouraging commuters and travelers to use the State's traffic information site "AlGo". In the future I anticipate that they'll provide detailed information regarding roadway situations once the downtown viaducts have been torn down and replacement has begun.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 12:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

So, all new digital message boards throughout Birmingham are active.

Also, if I am not mistaken, all new ramps, bridges, fly-overs are open for business. It looks like the demolition of the downtown 20/59 viaduct is imminent.

I also drove by the new 459 North ramp to 280. Grading seems complete.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
So, all new digital message boards throughout Birmingham are active.

Also, if I am not mistaken, all new ramps, bridges, fly-overs are open for business. It looks like the demolition of the downtown 20/59 viaduct is imminent.

I also drove by the new 459 North ramp to 280. Grading seems complete.
The word from ALDOT is the demo of the downtown bridges has been pushed back till end of the year or beginning of next year, which probably means the contractors are more likely will be put on a deadline schedule or else be fined for going over. That stretch is the heart of the state and it can't be down no more than it has too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:56 PM

Reed Contracting has begun moving dirt on Old Hwy. 20 from Powell Road east to the NS RR tracks. There are several sections of roadway pipe on site to be installed. There are also several piles of dirt in the work zone.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 10:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I-59/20 bridges through downtown will shutdown Monday 21 with demolition and reconstruction of the elevated viaduct.

My commute is going to go from 10 to 15 min, to 30 to 45 min.

For the outsiders reading this, you might laugh at a 30-45 min commute, but in an area of more than 1.2 million people... going from a 10 min commute to a 30 or 45 min commute really shakes things up.

I’m beginning to regret not asking my manager for some flexibility next week so that I, and others in our department, can figure out the most efficient way to get to work considering the circumstances.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:09 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Well, commute went off today pretty much without a hitch. I left home an hour early and got to work no problem. That being said, traffic hasn't seemed to be all that bad coming into downtown. Though, things might change later in the week...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:14 PM
The Salty Ham

I heard a lot of complaints yesterday, but it was so much rain and so many accidents. Traffic would have been bad regardless. I still don't think it will be as bad as a lot of us think. There are just so many options to that mile and a half stretch or so of road.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:28 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I heard a lot of complaints yesterday, but it was so much rain and so many accidents. Traffic would have been bad regardless. I still don't think it will be as bad as a lot of us think. There are just so many options to that mile and a half stretch or so of road.
It really hasn't been all that bad. Yesterday's weather is probably why traffic was so bad. It was pouring all day. I think there are just so many people altering their schedules, like myself, or taking other routes that it's softened the blow a bit.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:08 AM
Cat Enthusiast

So, 20/59 SB exit to 25th St is open, and today, the 25th St onramp to 20/59 NB opened. I took the new ramp today, and based on the height you get to from ground level, boy that ramp is high!

Nothing really new, I'd say about 50% of the CBD bridges are down, but of course they're continuing to truck in and erect new pylings just as soon as the old stuctures have been cleared. The big step forward will be when they finally start assembling bridge segments. This should be something new for Alabama as I can't recall any prefabricated bridges being constructed and linked via steel cable (through the Cochrane-Africatown Bridge north of Mobile might have been constructed in a similar fashion).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
So, 20/59 SB exit to 25th St is open, and today, the 25th St onramp to 20/59 NB opened. I took the new ramp today, and based on the height you get to from ground level, boy that ramp is high!

Nothing really new, I'd say about 50% of the CBD bridges are down, but of course they're continuing to truck in and erect new pylings just as soon as the old stuctures have been cleared. The big step forward will be when they finally start assembling bridge segments. This should be something new for Alabama as I can't recall any prefabricated bridges being constructed and linked via steel cable (through the Cochrane-Africatown Bridge north of Mobile might have been constructed in a similar fashion).
Segmental bridges downtown will be the first for the state of alabama...Other states and countries have constructed these types of bridges for awhile..

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 9:27 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:

I agree. It is probably way to early for a layperson like me to predict, but with it being as efficient a process as it has with them staging the prefabbed parts and making the others nearby, I don't think this is going to take as long as they have said.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:06 PM
Cat Enthusiast

First segment of pre cast bridge for the downtown 20/59 viaduct has been hoisted into place!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 11:02 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Pre-fab bridge segments are being strung up between the new pylings. From the looks of what I saw today, I'd say they have about 30 hoisted up. By method of permenant installation, none of them are officially "finished", though... Keep in mind... while ~30 may be hoisted up as of this weekend, there are still over 2,000 that will need to be installed.

Also, take note, pylings are still being erected... and from the looks of the staging location for the pyling segments... they've got a LONG way to go.

--------------------------------------------------------

Mobile Bay Bridge/BayWay

State lawmakers (aka idiots) are looking for options to avoid tolling the new Mobile Bay bridge AND Wallace Tunnel. I doubt they'll find any solution that does not involve reasonable tolling. For what it's worth, ALDOT has contracturally committed to a frequent driver discount. Essentially, daily commuters wouldn't be subject to the full tolls that thru shipping, tourists, and less frequent travelors would be.

If you're wondering why I mentioned tolling over the Wallace Tunnel... ALDOT would toll the Wallace Tunnel to prevent toll avoidance. For any outsiders who do not know... the Wallace Tunnel and new Mobile Bay Bridge will be Netflix and chilling once the bridge has been erected and it would almost be worth it to sit in a few minutes extra of traffic to take the tunnel under the river to avoid the toll on the bridge/BayWay.

BTW, can we all agree that the name "George Wallace" needs to be f***ing removed from it? Hell, Fort Conde is right there! Why not the "Fort Conde Tunnel"?! Damn... I'd even prefer the "We Want More Shipping Container Traffic Tunnel". Or how bout the "Mardis Gras Tunnel"? Damn, there are so many better options...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Pre-fab bridge segments are being strung up between the new pylings. From the looks of what I saw today, I'd say they have about 30 hoisted up. By method of permenant installation, none of them are officially "finished", though... Keep in mind... while ~30 may be hoisted up as of this weekend, there are still over 2,000 that will need to be installed.

Also, take note, pylings are still being erected... and from the looks of the staging location for the pyling segments... they've got a LONG way to go.
As of 4/1/19...the contractor said they are 2 months ahead of schedule. Without any slowdown or major setbacks, should be done by mid or late january....

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Wel... had to take 459 from Galleria Blvd to 59/20 and from there to Roebuch Pkwy to get home today. Safe to say, folks are making the good choise of using 459 to avoid construction in downtown, but traffic was HEAVY.

I can't wait till of this is behind us...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 9:21 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Here's just one shot of some of the progress of a full four segment wide portion of the new downtown viaduct.

Source: myself

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 2:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

So, I'm curious...

What do us Alabamians think about the likely tolls on the forthcomeing Mobile River Bridge and Bayway?

Personally, I think that locals need to wake up and realize the importance of this project. Still, they should do what they can to work with ALDOT to consider new alternatives to the tolls presented at present. However, I do not understand the logic of those who believe that this project should not be tolled... there is no other way to construct it!!

Effing Jim Zeigler, whose looks are already uninspiring, shouldn't be making use of his stupid office to force a single opinion on Alabamians.... that not his job.

EDIT: Might I also suggest that the F***ING Wallace Tunnel should be renamed?! Hell, name it after Condi Rice, E.O. Wilson, Sarah Parcak.... HELL I'd even rather it be named after Gov. Ivey!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:20 AM

I-10/ Mobile River Bridge

Not totally sure what my stance is on the tolls or the Bridge overall, but a few thoughts:

-The only other funding options I'm aware of is raising the state/federal gas taxes. But apparently an increase would take several years to kick in and delay the project even more, plus the State would have to dedicate 1/3 of all their gas tax revenue to the Bridge - hard to justify given crumbling infrastructure all over the state.

- There is also potentially more Federal funds, but not from an existing funding source. Instead, its chatter of upcoming infrastructure spending bills from Congress which is always unpredictable. Anti-tollers seem to be holding out for this.

-A $6 one-way toll isn't ideal, but apparently that's substantially lower rate than most other tolls in the country. Honestly, if we didn't have so many Baldwin County work commuters, we wouldn't be having a backlash about this, since no one usually has a problem taxing out of state drivers.

-Yes, Zeigler should prob stay in his lane. It is ironic to see a small-government Tea Partier ask for more Federal Funding.

- This is Alabama..I don't see the Wallace Tunnel getting renamed for another 50 years.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:04 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Source: ALDOT

Birmingham is getting its first diverging diamond interchange at Lakeshore/I-65.

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Feb 2, 2021 at 5:05 AM. Reason: added source

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post

Source: ALDOT

Birmingham is getting its first diverging diamond interchange at Lakeshore/I-65.
There are several road projects on the books for ALDOT concerning Jefferson County within the next 5 years. The question is are they going to get done. I highly doubt it. Here are some of them..

Adding a lane on I-59 from 1st Ave to I-459
Adding a lane on I-20/59 from Valley Ave in Fairfield to I-459
Interstate rehabilitation on I-65 from Hwy 31 to Oxymoor Road
Extension of I-22 to Hwy 31 at the I-65 interchange
Extending auxiliary lanes on Red Mountain Expressway

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast