HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Canyon Ranch Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 10:07 PM
Landmark Restored

BUFFALO | New Tallest Building | 615 FT / 187 M | 40 FLOORS

This development has been discussed in the Buffalo Development Thread, but seeing as this is one of the tallest if not the tallest buildings to ever be proposed in the city, I think it deserves its own thread.

Buffalo News:

Tallest city building proposed

By SHARON LINSTEDT
10/25/2006

The British developer who recently bought the faded Statler Towers wants to construct what would be Buffalo's tallest, most expensive building.

Bashar Issa, of Manchester, England, confirmed Tuesday he wants to build a 40-story, 1.2-million-square-foot skyscraper at the corner of South Elmwood Avenue and West Mohawk Street, one block north of City Hall.

At 600 feet tall, the $361 million, ultra-contemporary glass and steel office, hotel and condo tower would eclipse the HSBC Center in height by 33 feet and would rank among the tallest buildings between New York City and Chicago.

"It will give new hope to Buffalo. It will be a symbol of rebirth for those who live and work here and to those outside the region that this is a city on the rise," Issa said.

The developer, who has just embarked on an $80 million makeover of the historic Statler building, said he's not banking on any public funds for the most expensive building ever proposed for Buffalo.

"We plan to privately finance it. I believe projects should work without public money, and if it comes, that's a bonus," Issa said.

While Buffalo has a long history of dramatic development projects that have never seen the light of day, those connected with Issa's proposal say he has the resources to get the building constructed.

The building, designed by Grand Island-based Cannon Design, would include 500,000 square feet of office space spread over 20 floors, topped by a 10-story, 300-room luxury hotel. The top 10 floors would house about 80 condominiums priced at $500,000 and up. The tower also incorporates interior parking space for more than 800 vehicles.

Cannon's Harry L. Warren, the project's lead architect, said he drew his inspiration for the translucent tower from winter scenes at Niagara Falls.

"It's evocative of a frozen waterfall. It's crystalline and faceted," Warren said. "Because you'll be able to see through it, it will be light and airy, touching lightly on the landscape."

Another unusual design feature is metal lattice work that will cover three sides of the glass facade, working to deflect glare both outside and inside the building.

"It is rather like a bride's veil. You can see her face, but you also see the diaphanous screen. It's very intriguing," Warren said.

The decidedly contemporary design received positive reviews from a group of local architects who were briefed on the project earlier this week. John Laping, of Kideney Architects, who also serves as chairman of the Buffalo Preservation Board, said Buffalo is the perfect location for the distinctive structure.

"We didn't have anything like the Guaranty Building when it was built. The Darwin Martin house design was a one-of-kind," Laping said. "Those are architectural icons we've learned to love. I don't know why we can't love a beautiful glass tower, too."

The new building, to be located on what is now a surface parking lot, would be built to the rear of the new federal courthouse. That planned 10-story, semi-elliptical building also relies heavily on glass and light in its modernistic design.

At $361 million, the mixed-use tower surpasses the price tag of all other downtown buildings. By comparison, the HSBC Center, built in 1972, sold last year for $85 million and currently is back on the market at $121 million.

Cannon, whose portfolio has buildings across Western New York and around the world, was thrilled to take on Issa's challenge to design a signature skyscraper for downtown Buffalo.

"This is very special for us, professionally and personally. Not only is it the tallest building we've ever done, it's for our own community," Warren said.

Issa said he hopes to start construction by the end of 2008, with the first tenants in place in 2010.

"The starting time will depend on how long it takes to get through the design process and preleasing. We'd like to have it at least 40 percent leased when we begin," he said.

Cannon has signaled interest in moving its headquarters from Grand Island to the new building, which would bring about 200 workers downtown.

George Hamberger, from RealtyUSA, who is representing Issa in his Buffalo projects, said he will be focusing on luring businesses from New York and Toronto to build a tenant base for the signature building.

"I see it as a carrot to bring some new blood to the market. For so long we were robbing from Peter to pay Paul to fill space downtown, but we're now attracting new businesses, and this will aid that cause," Hamberger said.

Mayor Byron W. Brown also sees the proposed tower as a symbol of changing economic times for the city.

"Over the past year, we've seen tremendous investment citywide, and particularly in downtown. These types of proposals reinforce the value and benefit of investing in Buffalo," Brown said, calling the design "bold and exciting."

Issa's project also has captured the interest of competing Buffalo developers, like Amherst's Uniland Development Co., with two nearby projects. "It's encouraging to see out-of-town interest in a project that would further the progress already under way in building a vital downtown core," said Uniland's Michael Montante.

More images from Buffalo Rising:

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 10:30 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Wow. That's very classy.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 10:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

I spent an afternoon in the outskirts of Buffalo a few weeks ago (in a town/suburb called Clarence). I liked it. Clarence has a cool leftover-from-the-fifties feel.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 11:41 PM
New Yorker for life

And now Buffalo joins the ranks of cities with new tallests planned...

Quote:
At 600 feet tall, the $361 million, ultra-contemporary glass and steel office, hotel and condo tower would eclipse the HSBC Center in height by 33 feet and would rank among the tallest buildings between New York City and Chicago.

"It will give new hope to Buffalo. It will be a symbol of rebirth for those who live and work here and to those outside the region that this is a city on the rise," Issa said.
If only everyone felt that way about skyscrapers...

Maybe Trump will come along a put a 700 ft residential in there, and finally the skyline will have a feel to it...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 1:49 AM
Everywhere all at once

I'm thrilled to hear of this. Buffalo needs a bit of an image makeover.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 12:48 PM

I am cautiously optimistic. Downtown Buffalo certainly needs the boost. The big job is finding tenants. Buffalo is still a tough sell to most companies even with the new impressive airport. Yet! you do get a sense that whether its the waterfront or Main Street corridor there is some re-newed interest in developing DT Buffalo.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 3:03 PM

Here is a link to the Cannon Design PDF

http://mrussell.us/CannonDesign_BSC-..._press_rev.pdf

Hope you don't mind me uploading it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Great to see you guys finally getting some proposals. And I think this building will be one of those that actually looks better in person then in a diagram.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 3:33 PM

Please right click and "save as"

Press Release MP3:
http://mrussell.us/pressrelease.mp3

Cannon Slide Show:
http://mrussell.us/bcs_present.swf

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 6:09 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

awesome design. Way to go B-Lo. I'm drawing this, for the diagram.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 6:44 PM
Go Pens!

Here's a little comp of some of these future projects together from the Niagara Street viewpoint looking southeast. Sorry for the overcastness.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 2:32 PM
BANNED

It's a great design but...........

Quote:
George Hamberger, from
RealtyUSA, who is representing Issa in his Buffalo projects, said he will be focusing on luring businesses from New York and Toronto to build a tenant base for the signature building.

Good luck with that.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 4:56 PM
Chaos Machine

It kind of reminds me of a glassier abstract version of Embarcadero Center in SF. I like it

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISTLERINMUSKOKA

Good luck with that.
Why do you make that sound like it is not possible? Do you know the cost savings companies can land by locating in Buffalo? Class A office space ata fraction of the cost in a signature tower.

Not everyone will bite - but there is a market.

I read yesterday that 100,000 sq of the 600,000 sq. ft. of available office space is already spoken for.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:42 PM

If this fills up fast, it would cause some other major developers to take a closer look at Buffalo. Also, I think that the condos will sell very fast as there are not many in the area and non with these great views. If i had the money, i would have been on the phone the second i heard about the project.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064
Why do you make that sound like it is not possible?
Companies aren’t about to up and relocate to another city just to save money on high lease rates. The reason why cities like Toronto and New York attract and keep business has a lot to do with the talent pools they have not to mention it’s good to be next door to your competition. If a company was to move from New York or Toronto it would have to relocate all its employees if possible. Not to mention those moving from Toronto would have the added hassle of immigration procedures. So unless they are suggesting companies are just going shut up shop in Toronto and re-hire an all American staff just so they can be in a landmark building in Buffalo, I can’t see it happening. Buffalo itself suffers from a serious Brain Drain problem http://http://www.regional-institute so the only way a company would be able to fill the positions would be to woo people to the city. The developer is going to need to target home grown companies because trying to make Buffalo look like an attractive lifestyle to someone living in a much larger, vibrant, and multi-cultural city such as New York or Toronto is going to be next to impossible.

I hope they do get this tower, I just don't agree that a nice building is reason enough to shuffle off to Buffalo.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:54 PM
Trendy.

I agree completely.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:55 PM
welcome to the madness

Quote:

Good luck with that.
The fact is that Buffalo developers would do well to look outside of the area for tenants. For too long local developers have focused on businesses around Erie County. Buffalo deserves a fresh look--it's right on the border, an hour and a half from Canada's largest and richest business center, and midway between Chicago and NYC. It has a great airport as well as excellent freight rail connections. It also has excellent interstate connections, low commute times, light rail, inexpensive costs, etc. Why this isn't promoted more is beyond me but Bashar Issa is bringing some fresh air to a city that too often is too parochial for its own good.

On another note, according to Buffalo Snooze columnist Don Esmonde, Bashar means "bringer of good news" in Arabic. I though that was a pretty cool aside.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:56 PM
welcome to the madness

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
I agree completely.
What a surprise-Mr. Negative chimes in to take a crap on things!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Companies aren’t about to up and relocate to another city just to save money on high lease rates. The reason why cities like Toronto and New York attract and keep business has a lot to do with the talent pools they have not to mention it’s good to be next door to your competition. If a company was to move from New York or Toronto it would have to relocate all its employees if possible. Not to mention those moving from Toronto would have the added hassle of immigration procedures. So unless they are suggesting companies are just going shut up shop in Toronto and re-hire an all American staff just so they can be in a landmark building in Buffalo, I can’t see it happening. Buffalo itself suffers from a serious Brain Drain problem http://http://www.regional-institute so the only way a company would be able to fill the positions would be to woo people to the city. The developer is going to need to target home grown companies because trying to make Buffalo look like an attractive lifestyle to someone living in a much larger, vibrant, and multi-cultural city such as New York or Toronto is going to be next to impossible.

I hope they do get this tower, I just don't agree that a nice building is reason enough to shuffle off to Buffalo.
I see your point - but I don't think that it is meant that some huge NYC conglomerate is gonna move to the Buff. I am thinking what they are trying to do is lure some back office work from major corporations - like CitiBank(example) and other major companies data centers, call centers...you know stuff like that.

You may be able to entice an upstart company or 2 to relocate - but I would imagine the focus is on branch offices.

Imagine the convenience to some of these execs to be able to live in a condo 20 floors above where they work and to have a world class hotel in the same building in which clients can stay when visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive