HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 5:24 AM
Architecture enthusiast

Hmmmmm... I haven't been able to make it work for a couple of days. Miss it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 7:36 AM
Supertall Fan #1

It's working now. It's been back up for a couple of days.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 4:39 AM
Architecture enthusiast

No it isn't, and I've not been able to get on at all. Is SSC still operating? It has
been down for the better part of a week.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:57 AM
Supertall Fan #1

Yes it is, been posting over there every day for the last four. You might want to empty your cache and cookies and try again. It's been running very smoothly for me.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
Ok, let me get some misconceptions out of the way here.

The size of the database, how many threads are on the forum, and how many subforums there are has absolutely NO impact on the problems we just experienced.

What did have an impact was the 4000+ users online at the same time.
Actually had the number of irrelevant threads and sub-forums been deleted then there would be less incentive for such large volumes of people to be on the website. Cause > effect.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:06 PM
Architecture enthusiast

Oh no.... don't tell me that this is one of those bizarre things that is only affecting my computer. I have emptied the cache and the cookies and can access any other site, just not SSC. Last time they shut down for a week I could no longer see the banners.... this time I can no longer see SSC.
ps I even tried turning off the firewall.

Last edited by Taller Better; Feb 20, 2007 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:17 PM
YIMBY co-founder

^It's been working a-ok for me for several days now.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:41 AM
Supertall Fan #1

I had that happen once on a site for a week. Try going in not using your bookmark.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 2:23 AM
tilted & shifted

Taller Better, you could try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
If anyone still can't get in, here's my quick and easy guide complete with pictures:

1: Find the drive that has your system files in it (my case F but most of the time it's C)

2: Go to "windows"

3: Then to "System32"

4: Then click on "drivers"

5: Then "etc"

6: Then doubleclick on "hosts". (I had 2 of them, I actually changed them both but if you don't want to change 1 and if it works fine, if it doesn't then do the other)

7: Open it with "notepad"

8: The text file should open. Type in "66.249.139.178 www.skyscrapercity.com" where I've pointed. Make sure that the 2 words are on the same line and have at least one space between them.

9: It should look something like this:

10: Now just type in www.skyscrapercity.com into your browser as usual

11: And Voila!!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
:)

IPs are changed long time ago. It won't work.
West Tower: core - 62 levels (232,0m) / floorplates - 62 levels (232,0m)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 6:56 PM
Architecture enthusiast

Thanks for the hints guys, but I simply cannot make it work. Tried closing firewall, entering the url as a safe site, lowered security levels, emptied cache of temporary files... absolutely everything but no result. Very depressing.
ps So, should I try that thing above, or will it no longer work because of the changed IP addresses? Thanks for the help!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 7:18 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
Ok, let me get some misconceptions out of the way here.

The size of the database, how many threads are on the forum, and how many subforums there are has absolutely NO impact on the problems we just experienced.

What did have an impact was the 4000+ users online at the same time.

We tried to add another server, and it overloaded the power circuits (I have all kinds of unkind things to say about the datacenter, but I'll keep them to myself right now). They added a new circuit, and I just finished getting the 4th webserver online about 15 minutes ago. The site is running very snappy with 3500 users online, and the loads on the servers are quite acceptable. This should suffice until we hit around 6000 users online, at which point we'll need to think about more hardware. Hopefully we have 6 months before that happens.

Now, I see plenty of armchair server admins in this forum, and not a single one of them has any clue as to how the cluster is set up, and what kind of incompetent fools I have to work with at the datacenter. I'd move the site, but that would give us probably close to 3-5 days of downtime while the servers are packed up and shipped elsewhere.

Now, for those who are whining about what's being done, grow your own forum and see if you can handle it.
I'm working on creating a website such as SSC and SSP, and would be interested in what kind of hardware is required to smoothly handle it, and yes I understand the load balancing and distributed database design. Just wondering what the specs on the servers were so I can plan on what is needed to be spent on hardware to handle a board of either size.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 4:20 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller Better View Post
Thanks for the hints guys, but I simply cannot make it work. Tried closing firewall, entering the url as a safe site, lowered security levels, emptied cache of temporary files... absolutely everything but no result. Very depressing.
ps So, should I try that thing above, or will it no longer work because of the changed IP addresses? Thanks for the help!
Do you know your IP? What page shows up when you try to load SSC? I'm a mod over at SSC, so I can try to help you get back in.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 7:25 AM

So TB can you get back in yet?

This has happened to me before but I can't remember how it got fixed. I'll try to rack my brain and see if I come up with anything.

Hey, try using an anonymous proxy server like this http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

If that works then perhaps through some deductive reasoning it can be figured out.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 3:36 PM
Architecture enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
So TB can you get back in yet?

This has happened to me before but I can't remember how it got fixed. I'll try to rack my brain and see if I come up with anything.

Hey, try using an anonymous proxy server like this http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

If that works then perhaps through some deductive reasoning it can be figured out.
OMG! I can't believe it but you have solved my problem! (except now I get the Anonymouse ads every time I download a page! Do you have any idea what might have been causing the problem? I'd love to solve the problem so I don't have to use an anonymous proxy server. Overground, thank you very much!
Cheers!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:12 PM
Junior Senior

Quote:
OMG! I can't believe it but you have solved my problem! (except now I get the Anonymouse ads every time I download a page! Do you have any idea what might have been causing the problem? I'd love to solve the problem so I don't have to use an anonymous proxy server. Overground, thank you very much!
Cheers!
I have the exact same problem as you. After the last time I couldn't see the banners either, and now everything is gone. I have no idea what so ever what might be causing the problem.

It seems to work with the anonymous proxy server, though. Atleast temporarily. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:17 PM
Architecture enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the help, but " I am Hydrogen" has provided a permanent solution! I now get SSC perfectly, including the banners! Follow the steps in the above fix by malec, and instead of entering www.skyscrapercity.com, enter
www1.skyscrapercity.com or www2.skyscrapercity.com, or www3.skyscrapercity.com.
I entered the first, and voila! All was repaired! A big thanks to I am Hydrogen and Overground for helping me!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:36 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help, but " I am Hydrogen" has provided a permanent solution! I now get SSC perfectly, including the banners! Follow the steps in the above fix by malec, and instead of entering www.skyscrapercity.com, enter
www1.skyscrapercity.com or www2.skyscrapercity.com, or www3.skyscrapercity.com.
I entered the first, and voila! All was repaired! A big thanks to I am Hydrogen and Overground for helping me!
:party:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:36 PM
Junior Senior

I forgot to mention that. I used www1.skyscrapercity.com after the last time SSC went down, and it worked fine. Not anymore though. www2 and www3 don't work either.

Anyone?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 8:49 PM
Architecture enthusiast

I'm so surprised to hear someone else has the same problem I did! I thought I was alone! I am so happy to have SSC back...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe