HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 11:00 AM

"Why We Love McDonalds in France"

https://theplanetd.com/why-we-love-mcdonalds-in-france/

Well, just because we cheese-eating surrender monkeys are nothing much more than wannabe 'murikans.
Pitiful! Innit?
Héhéhé.

Sarcasm aside, I find Burger King is ok, edible. So I don't mind having lunch in there from time to time.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:09 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

this is going to become embarrassing for midwestern cities.

hard to say, st. louis style ribs are popular everywhere (theres a weird rib chain in canada/toronto called st. louis bar and grill i follow on social media just because the branding is so weird to me), and i see toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake on menus in other cities now, but hard to top st. louis style pizza locally.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
this is going to become embarrassing for midwestern cities.
Why?

Chicago has some great ones - deep dish pizza, Chicago style hot dogs, Polish sausage, Italian beef. They’ll all give you a fucking heart attack, but you’ll go out happy.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proghousehead View Post
Chopped cheese for NYC. The Yemeni bodegas created that shit and it’s awesome. Also halal chicken and rice; made by Muslim immigrants - a righteous staple of New York cuisine.
Chopped cheese is known in NYC, especially uptown, and the Halal Guys now pretty famous (though I always get the lamb).

But in terms of popularity and association with NYC, I still wouldn’t put either ahead of NY style pizza, deli stapes (my favorite being pastrami on rye), Jewish appetizing (bagels and lox aren’t the same elsewhere) or the ubiquitous bodega bacon, egg & cheese.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:51 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
One of the best drunk meals I've ever had was at Hattie B's in Nashville this past fall. Love that place.
Nice... yeah, Hattie B's is great. Prince's is the original and still, in my opinion, the best. It is a little off the beaten path though, especially when you're drunk! haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:56 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why?
some of it gets kind of weird, like in st. louis the st. paul sandwich (gross egg foo young patty) /brain sandwiches and up the ohio river (more brain sandwiches), and cincinnati style chili (which i cannot resist), and more weird/gross stuff that makes you feel like shit (or makes me feel like shit) after eating it. the kentucky hot brown is alright...primanti bros is alright...more gut punches, though.

southern cuisine(s) are far more appealing/satisfying to me. cooking with local/heirloom ingredients anywhere of course but i tend to reach for those old/obscure-ish southern flavors, especially like to pull stuff out of the deep southern mississippi valley.

probably my favorite urban midwest flavor is the chicago style hot dog, though. it actually doesn't destroy me.

hotdogchicagostyle.com

Last edited by Centropolis; May 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
San Francisco is probably best known for sourdough bread but it has a few other signature dishes like cioppino (a Mediterrean style seafood stew similar to bouillabaisse) and the Mission style burrito (now popularized nationally in the weak immitations from Chipotle).

Whoah! Let's not leave out Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco treat...

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
this is going to become embarrassing for midwestern cities.hard to say, st. louis style ribs are popular everywhere (theres a weird rib chain in canada/toronto called st. louis bar and grill i follow on social media just because the branding is so weird to me), and i see toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake on menus in other cities now, but hard to top st. louis style pizza locally.
There's a couple of locations here as well..I have yet to try, but they seem to do well..One has a nice patio set up. I never knew that St. Louis style bbq was a thing before I seen these restaurants pop up.

re: NYC - I've always equated NYC with delis and bagels. interesting to learn about the cheese, and chicken and rice.

Montreal steak spice is a staple .At least in our household..I just don't know how international it is.Montreal also has Montreal style bagels, which vary from NYC in that they wood burn them or something similar. Montreal style bagels is a signature thing though..At least in these parts. Both cities had a large influx of Jewish immigrants which brought us the bagels and the deli meats.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 3:06 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Toronto invented the peameal bacon sandwich, but yeah we're a multicultural bunch so everything goes!

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Los Angeles has a couple for sure.

We got Kogi Korean Tacos

One of the reasons why LA is my second favourite American city (after NY) - and maybe the most exciting city in the US to eat in - is that chefs from all over are not afraid to experiment with non-European cuisines and call it their own. I find that Angelenos are less afraid of being labeled as "cultural appropriators" than people in other cities.

Toronto, where I live, is very ethnically diverse (this has been beaten into the ground on this forum, and I don't think it needs repeating). But Torontonians, and Canadians, in general, are too enamoured with cultural "authenticity". A Chinese dish cooked with local ingredients is still "a Chinese dish". The price they have paid is that they cannot advance any semblance of local culture because the development of a culture is, by its nature, a syncretic coming together of other, existing cultures. Sometimes it has to be "appropriated". The next generation won't care - they'll actually have something that's their own to celebrate.

Luckily, in the past 5 years, this ice has been starting to crack and Toronto is probably the most exciting it has ever been because of it. But it'll be a while before we have a cookbook as spectacular as, say, New Orleans, despite the fact that over half of our population came from somewhere else.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 3:54 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

Oddly, I can't think of one for Toronto..It's so multicultural I suppose.
For Toronto it's definitely the 'peameal bacon sandwich'. Being both simple and cheap it sustained a whole generation of blue collar workers. It used to be ubiquitous but has almost been forgotten by the current generation. Toronto used to be a big hog slaughtering town and where the nickname 'Hogtown' comes from. The best authentic peameal bacon sandwich is made by Carousel Bakery at the St. Lawrence Market. I'd recommend horseradish and a good mustard.

Luckily the St. Lawrence Market also features a fabulous purveyor of assorted mustards called Kozlik's. Did you know that Canada is the world's biggest producer of mustard? I didn't till last year.

Carousel Bakery, Toronto

Courtesy of haligonia

Carousel's Peameal Bacon Sandwich

Courtesy of eatthistown

Last edited by isaidso; May 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
For Toronto it's definitely the 'peameal bacon sandwich'. It used to be ubiquitous but has almost been forgotten by the current generation. Toronto used to be a big hog slaughtering town and where the nickname 'Hogtown' comes from. The best authentic peameal bacon sandwich is made by Carousel Bakery at the St. Lawrence Market.

Interesting..I haven't been to that market in at least a decade.Visting my sister soon, so maybe we can trip down there and devour 1 or 2 or??
Also for Toronto, is fish and chips still a thing?.My elderly mother in law who grew up in Etobicoke, once told me that fish and chip shacks were common in Toronto..The British influence I suppose..I'm thinking that it may also be a thing for London England?

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Toronto invented the peameal bacon sandwich, but yeah we're a multicultural bunch so everything goes!

What on Earth is peameal?

But bacon sandwiches (or of course, bacon butties) are of course if English origin.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:40 PM
The New Republic

Halifax, Nova Scotia has the donair, not to be confused with the donner kebab. Like most north American food it has its origins in another cuisine. We took something, changed it, and came up with something new. The donair is an offshoot of Middle Eastern food. The donair is always served with donair sauce, diced tomatoes, and diced onion. Never anything else. The donair is arguably the #1 after bar junk food in Nova Scotia.

The provincial signature dish is Nova Scotia Seafood Chowder.

The Donair

Courtesy of foodnetwork

Nova Scotia Seafood Chowder

Courtesy of keeprecipes

Last edited by isaidso; May 13, 2018 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:47 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
What on Earth is peameal?
"Peameal bacon (also known as cornmeal bacon) is a type of back bacon made from lean boneless pork loin, trimmed fine, wet cured, and rolled in cornmeal. It is not smoked. Development is credited to a Toronto, Ontario, ham and bacon curer, William Davies. The name "peameal bacon" derives from the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas to extend shelf life. Since the end of World War II it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal." - Wikipedia

In Ontario grocery stores you can buy peameal as a loin, or sliced.

Peameal Bacon

Courtesy of Broker's Meat

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:04 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Interesting..I haven't been to that market in at least a decade.Visting my sister soon, so maybe we can trip down there and devour 1 or 2 or??
Also for Toronto, is fish and chips still a thing?.My elderly mother in law who grew up in Etobicoke, once told me that fish and chip shacks were common in Toronto..The British influence I suppose..I'm thinking that it may also be a thing for London England?
Yes, St. Lawrence Market (and Carousel) is definitely worth a visit. I haven't had one of their sandwiches since last year so my appetite has been whetted. Btw, they have a Montreal bagel place in the southeast corner; St. Urbain not Fairmount or St. Viateur.

Fish & chips may have once been popular in Toronto but it's not something commonly eaten today. The only one I've come across is called 'Hooky's' on Queen West opposite Trinity Bellwoods Park. Toronto does have quite a few UK/Ireland style pubs. I'm sure some of those might have it too.

http://www.hookysfishandchips.ca/menu

Last edited by isaidso; May 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:13 PM
All man. Half nuts.

for Boise, get yourself some Paella from the Basque Block, especially during Jaialdi:

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:36 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:40 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Edmonton: Green onion cake tacos, pizza peroghies, that's at best what I can think of.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:43 PM
Future God

Quote:
cincinnati style chili (which i cannot resist),
Oh man, I'm a total slut for Cincy style chili. I'll never understand why so many people are so grossed out by it. In fact, my preferred way to have it is to buy Skyline Chili by the can, and take it home so I can ADD even more cinnamon to it, use nice cheddar etc.

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions