HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 3:57 AM
BANNED

About Alternate Energy Holdings

I am from Pueblo, Colorado and a company called AEHI from Boise is going to build a major energy park near my town. I have not heard of them before so I thought I would see if you guys know anything about that company? Are they a good company, do they follow through with what they agree to do?

To be honost I am not looking for political views, I know some people are for and some are against nuclear and alternative engery power, I am for it, thus, I am only looking for information on the company itself.

I am excited about the idea and hope that it happens. So any information would be appreciated.

Here is the information on what they want to build by Pueblo:

BOISE, ID--(Marketwire - September 15, 2008) - Alternate Energy Holdings, Inc. (PINKSHEETS: AEHI) signed an agreement with a representative of the proposed Colorado Energy Park (CEP) southeast of Pueblo, CO to negotiate contracts on land and water rights for multiple large advanced nuclear reactors. The current CEP site is over 21,000 acres and is valued at $83 million, including substantial water use rights. CEP can host a mixed portfolio of renewable energy including solar PV and CSP, wind, biomass, small-hydro and nuclear. AEHI will seek a complement of multiple clean energy providers to fully utilize the large site and share the nuclear plant's transmission, water, road and rail infrastructure. When fully developed, CEP will help meet the state's and region's growing demand for electricity. At CEP, AEHI will help the US achieve energy independence, and meet the goal of increasing sources of green energy to reduce CO2 and toxic emissions from the global environment. The CEP as a merchant site should be able to wield power east of the Rockies as needed to meet demand.

About Alternate Energy Holdings, Inc. (www.alternateenergyholdings.com)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 2:52 PM

I have heard of this company but don't really know much about them. Maybe another Boise or Idaho forumer has more info.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

not my pic but from the Statesman
http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepie...ry/709925.html

that is amazing terrain. Man, Idaho has some very cool places.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 4:53 PM
not a cynic

Sun Valley starts work on the River Run to Roundhouse gondola Monday. I'm not sure but I'm guessing this is one of the most expensive private construction projects in the state this year.

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005125601

Topo pic at Sun Valley's website:

http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/S...hase-1-150.gif

Entire 3 phase master plan outline:

http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/info/mp.aspx

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:26 PM

interesting......................

http://www.idahostatesman.com/busine...ry/752338.html

From waste to wares: Boise company makes soap and biodiesel
Sustainable Growth Boise, a locally owned organic lawn-care company, uses a zero-waste process to make soap from discarded vegetable oil from area restaurants. Within the next three weeks, you should be able to buy the soap at the Boise Co-Op and the Saturday Market in Downtown Boise for $6 to $8. Here's how it is made.
Field Manager Marc Ridenour picks up discarded vegetable oil from the fryers of area restaurants. Previously, much of the oil would have ended up as an additive in animal feed to increase its caloric value.

Co-owner Ray Gore uses about 50 gallons of the oil per week to make biodiesel, an alternative fuel, for the company's vehicles. As part of that process, he adds potassium hydroxide to the oil. A byproduct is glycerin, a brown syrupy compound.

Employee Lindsey Lockwood distills methanol from the glycerin, which takes about 24 hours. The methanol is captured and used again in processing biodiesel.

The glycerin is warmed to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, lye is added, and essential oils are stirred in. Lavender from a farm in Buhl, peppermint from Nampa and tea tree oil from Australia are added for fragrance.

The mixture goes through a chemical process that turns the glycerin into a liquid soap.

Lockwood bottles the soap in 32-ounce containers and labels them with "Boise Soap Co." stickers.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 6:13 PM

Ski resort owned by Bruce Willis to rebuild lodge

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...e.702f123.html

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I was at the Bruneau River Canyon a few days ago and will post more after sorting through the shots.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 1:06 AM
not a cynic

You sure get around Sawtooth, thanks for the awesome pics.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 9:44 PM

Wow, that canyon is deep.
How far is that from the city?

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 5:08 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Here is the link for more pics in the general photography thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=169553

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:59 PM
Always running Late

pretty pictures,
I want to take a trip up to silver city this summer... has anyone been up there to check it out?
I've heard it's pretty cool

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 2:50 PM

Unbelievable

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/788911.html
Idaho Potato Commission orders Idaho Fry Co. to change its name

Watch these words: If you want to use “Idaho potato,” “Idaho fry,” or a similar term in your business, you must get a license from Idaho. Blake Lingle learned this the hard way.

What happened? Two months ago, Lingle opened the Idaho Fry Co., a restaurant at 111 Broadway in Boise that serves potatoes fried in peanut oil. Now the Idaho Potato Commission has ordered him to change his sign and other marketing materials by August. Lingle says it will cost him $7,000 or more to comply. He says the commission offered to pay him $7,000, but he didn’t like the strings attached. “They had a stack of paperwork they wanted us to sign,” he said.

How can the state do that? State law authorizes it.

What now? Lingle says he can’t afford to fight the commission in court. (The commission did not return a call for comment Monday.) Lingle is considering several names. “We notice a lot of people just call us The Fry Company,” he said. “Maybe we could paint over Idaho and use the same sign.”

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 8:00 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
pretty pictures,
I want to take a trip up to silver city this summer... has anyone been up there to check it out?
I've been there a couple of times. Here are my tips; passenger car is doable when road is dry but you're better off in at least a Subaru type car and cushy SUV would be best. Keep in mind, most if not all the buildings up there are privately owned, i.e., no tresspassing. Believe it or not, tourists try to walk right into people's private cabins.

The hotel used to accept guests, I don't know if they still do. The walls are paper thin and a gentleman in the room next to mine snored so friggin loudly that I just up and left in the middle of the night. So plan on camping. I can't remember the deal with camping around there, I think it is ok in certain spots. A day trip is doable but it's at least 2.5 hrs one way drive.

Bring your own water and food.

If you can, choose a crystal clear day, there are some phenomenal views on the way up and down.

If you plan on driving to the top of War Eagle or Cinnabar or whatever the main peak is called, you'll need a good map and probably GPS, as I recall the roads in the area are complicated. It may not even be possible anymore, check around first.

It's definitely worth the trip.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 11:37 PM
World Traveler

Here's some news from Sandpoint courtesy of the Idaho Business Review...

A $30-$40 million project is huge in Sandpoint!

Sandpoint planners give green light to town center
POSTED: Monday, June 1, 2009

by Zach Hagadone

An ambitious plan to build a 225,000-square-foot multi-use community center near downtown Sandpoint may be coming close to fruition, after city planners recommended approval of a rezone request to make way for the complex.

Named the Jamie Packer Centre, in honor of a local golf pro who died in a car accident in 2005, the project is estimated to cost between $30 million and $40 million and is being fronted by Bruce Pedersen, a Sandpoint developer and co-founder of the Internet-based book club BookCrossing.

The center would be located on 2 acres that have for decades been the site of a Catholic church, a large grain elevator and numerous other buildings. Pedersen’s plans for the property include an indoor hockey rink; a three story, 90,000-square-foot parking garage; and 135,000 square feet of commercial and residential space, which includes the now-vacant church and grain elevator.

“To have this much property aggregated – the opportunity doesn’t come around very often,” he said. “The project has the potential to bring national recognition to Sandpoint not only for design, mixed use and contemporary urban planning, but the funding model itself.”

Pedersen said he plans to look to a wide variety of sources to cover the cost of the project, including grants for historical preservation, private investment and the city’s urban renewal entity.

“Yes, we will be able to attract the funding, and a lot of that has to do with the innovative model and also the unique qualifications of the project, in that there’s almost no funding source that we don’t qualify for,” he said. “We’re able to cast a wider net.”

Another unique aspect of the project is that it would draw its power and heat from an on-site biomass cogeneration system, which is being designed by Sandpoint-based Vapor Locomotive Company. According to a statement given to the Bonner County Daily Bee earlier this month, using cogeneration would give the center an energy efficiency rating of between 70 percent and 90 percent.

Requests by Pedersen to rezone the property in 2008 and early 2009 were stymied by city officials who felt a change from Residence B to the more intensive Commercial D wouldn’t pass muster with the city’s comprehensive plan. But in its motion to approve the current request, the city’s planning department said rezoning portions of the site to Residence C and Professional Office would be consistent with current uses.

The proposal is slated to go before the Sandpoint City Council on June 17, and sources close to the council said Pedersen’s chances of getting the project approved are good, though questions remain over how successfully he’ll be able to finance it.

If approved, Pedersen said construction could be complete in as little as a year-and-a-half.

“I’m optimistic that it will be welcomed with as much enthusiasm and support as the rest of the community has shown so far. I’m very hopeful that we’ll be able to charge through and go to the next phase,” he said.
Source: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...to-town-center
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:35 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

That will be so great for Sandpoint which I think is one of the coolest little towns anywhere. I still remember when I last visited and went out on the town for some dinner with friends and the air in the downtown was full of the scent of cedar, ganja, and curry

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:47 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
pretty pictures,
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
I've been there a couple of times. Here are my tips; passenger car is doable when road is dry but you're better off in at least a Subaru type car and cushy SUV would be best. Keep in mind, most if not all the buildings up there are privately owned, i.e., no tresspassing. Believe it or not, tourists try to walk right into people's private cabins.

The hotel used to accept guests, I don't know if they still do. The walls are paper thin and a gentleman in the room next to mine snored so friggin loudly that I just up and left in the middle of the night. So plan on camping. I can't remember the deal with camping around there, I think it is ok in certain spots. A day trip is doable but it's at least 2.5 hrs one way drive.

Bring your own water and food.

If you can, choose a crystal clear day, there are some phenomenal views on the way up and down.

If you plan on driving to the top of War Eagle or Cinnabar or whatever the main peak is called, you'll need a good map and probably GPS, as I recall the roads in the area are complicated. It may not even be possible anymore, check around first.

It's definitely worth the trip.

I was last up there about 3 years ago and drove my Altima which did ok but as Boisecynic said a Subaru would be the preferred transportation. I traded the Altima in for an Outback last year, and have wanted to get up there again.
It is a beautiful drive, the Owyhee Mountains are mysterious with a lot of knobs, strange formations and there are some pretty thickly forested areas you drive through on the way up to Silver City. Watch out for rattlesnakes.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2009, 3:45 PM

Went up to N. Idaho last weekend for a graduation and some fun. Looks like the Kibbie Dome is getting the remodel started.

Had some time and rode the Route of the Hiawatha as well.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 7:46 PM
not a cynic

Check out the progress on the Sun Valley gondola. Cross posting to Boise Projects thread. Pic credit to www.sunvalley.com.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 1:34 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I saw in the Mountain Express that the lifts are open on Baldy for the Summer. I cannot wait to soak in some of those amazing mountain views from the summit on my mountain bike.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 4:14 AM

I thought this would be the appropriate thread for my first image posting attempt. This is a painting (real dimensions are 4' x 7') that I finished a few months ago. The bottom skyline is from Idaho Falls (recognize the Bonneville Motel?) And the nightime skyline is Lexington Kentucky. -Conceptually I like to blur boundaries. Lately I've been focusing on combining "built" vs. "natural." After all, how do you define those two concepts? Given time, something synthetic can become natural, since in my mind natural is mostly a perception...

Last edited by VelvetElvis; Jul 6, 2009 at 4:18 AM. Reason: full size image

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West