HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:56 PM
ハルウララ

Request ahead of Mississauga Council regarding a feasibility study for a stadium:

Twitter

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:48 PM

Mississauga definitely needs a stadium. There are so many places that one could be built. I'd personally like to see one close to downtown along the Hurontario strip. It would be cool to see a CPL team there at some point. I know for a fact that Mississauga would draw incredibly well for soccer games, as there is a huge soccer culture within the eastern European population.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the Bird Construction Twitter feed:

Quote:
On Friday, Bird achieved substantial completion of the Moncton Downtown Centre. We were pleased to once again partner with @CityofMoncton to help enhance the beautiful City. Photos by @andreaudet
Official Photos:

The impact of this facility on the west end of the downtown area is already being felt.

- A new Hyatt Place Hotel (and unnamed branded restaurant) is now under construction across the street.
- Construction of a new apartment complex (Tannery Place South) is impending just two blocks to the west in the Junction Urban Village.
- A Home 2 Suites by Hilton has been approved (also in the Junction Urban Village).
- There are suddenly new rumours from multiple sources of another new hotel just 1/2 block to the north on Highfield Street, possibly also Hilton branded and multistorey (16-20 floors), with an attached parking structure. The buildings currently on site are to be removed in November. An existing restaurant may relocate to a building immediately across the street from the events centre (1111 Main).
- Another parcel of land has been assembled on the NW corner of Highfield & Gordon (just one block from the events centre), projected to be commercial on the ground floor and apartments above.

Naysayers at the beginning of this process were livid about how the City of Moncton couldn't afford the events centre project and that this would be a major debt burden for the city for decades to come. The Mayor at the time (George LeBlanc) meanwhile predicted that the events centre would act as a catalyst for hundreds of millions of dollars of new construction, with the increased assessment as a result essentially paying for the cost of the arena.

I am overjoyed that former Mayor LeBlanc is being proven correct on his prediction.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 4, 2018 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:54 AM

Regina Stadium

A short video of packed stadium in Regina, appears to the pregame ceremony (honouring the "Humboldt Strong" movement) from last week's CFL game between Montreal and Saskatchewan.

https://www.facebook.com/saskriders/...55399078826541

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:02 AM
BANNED

That Moncton arena is very nice!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
A short video of packed stadium in Regina, appears to the pregame ceremony (honouring the "Humboldt Strong" movement) from last week's CFL game between Montreal and Saskatchewan.

https://www.facebook.com/saskriders/...55399078826541

I still can’t believe we won that game. Extremely cool stadium!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:39 AM

Such a beautiful stadium, it looks like a Computer model in those pictures

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Such a beautiful stadium, it looks like a Computer model in those pictures
All for under 300 million, initiated by a small city. Anything is possible, if you want to do it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:41 AM

Tks to ns_kid for finding this

Location down to two sites for Halifax CFL stadium
Francis Campbell The Chronicle Herald July 9, 2018

Question of funding remains the bigger issue for ownership group

The group that wants to bring the Canadian Football League to Halifax has narrowed its search for a stadium location to two sites.

“We’re down to two, a preferred site and a backup site,” said Anthony LeBlanc, one of three principals in Maritime Football Ltd., the corporate entity that hopes to establish a 10th league team in Nova Scotia.

LeBlanc, who met with CFL team executives in Winnipeg on Friday to present a business plan review, said he and his partnership are negotiating with site owners and hope to finalize a site soon.

“We’re trying to get the best terms possible.”

That is what Halifax Regional Municipality seeks also.

“We think it has to make sense for the municipality but we also want something that’s transit oriented,” Mayor Mike Savage said of a potential stadium after regional council met in camera with the Maritime Football group last month. “I don’t think anybody is interested in building an old style stadium with 20,000 parking spots.”

The likely stadium sites are Dartmouth Crossing and a property behind the Kent store in Bayers Lake business park.

The question of funding for the stadium, which would seat about 25,000 people and likely cost in excess of $200 million to build, remains a bigger riddle than a potential site.

“We certainly think it’s the right way to go,” LeBlanc said of the stadium redevelopment plan at Landsdowne Park in Ottawa that was part of the successful strategy to bring the CFL and the expansion Redblacks to Canada’s capital four years ago.

“There is the creation of the fan experience of having things that you can do other than just going to the game,” said LeBlanc, former president of the Arizona Coyotes of the National Hockey League. “These types of facilities, they are not just football. ... It becomes an economic driver and it helps to build kind of those mini-communities.”

The Lansdowne redevelopment plan was built on providing sports, shopping, living and parkland. The sporting and living elements may be the most successful tenants to date of the $300-million 16-hectare urban park located next to the Rideau Canal in central Ottawa. The stadium complex was rebuilt and retail and residential developments were added, including basketball courts, a water park and skate park. The city kicked in a major chunk of the redevelopment cost, retained ownership of the site and leased the commercial and retail components under a revenue-sharing deal with Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group.

“Obviously, the difference between Ottawa and the sites we’re looking at is that we’ve been pretty open that there isn’t a site in, call it downtown Halifax, that is sufficient,” LeBlanc said. “The green neighbourhood in Ottawa is a little bit different than the sites we’re looking at but we feel comfortable that there is a true mixed-use development potential.”

Savage said after the June meeting that if there is a way that HRM can contribute to a stadium without digging deep into capital, “maybe that’s the way to go.”

“What they are looking at, I think they have been public about this, is (something) that’s offset against future potential tax revenue in the area that they want to build,” he said.

Savage said in June that it’s time to take the CFL talk public, suggesting holding a future council meeting that would be open to the public.

Shaune MacKinley, the mayor’s chief of staff, said the agenda for the next council meeting, on July 17, won’t be readied and released until Friday.

“He is still committed to that,” MacKinley said of going public with the CFL dialogue.

LeBlanc said the two proposed sites would be revealed at that public meeting, whenever it is scheduled.

LeBlanc said he and co-owners Bruce Bowser, a Halifax native who is president of AMJ Campbell Van Lines, and Gary Drummond, a businessman from Regina who was president of hockey operations with the Coyotes during LeBlanc’s tenure there, have their finances in order.

“From an investment point of view, we’re comfortable where our group is now,” he said. “If there are local, strategic investors who are interested, we’re always interested in adding them to the fold, but that isn’t a requirement.”

Fan support is a requirement.

“We’ve talked extensively with the league, HRM and the province about this that we’re probably going to take a play out of the playbook in other league’s recent expansion. If you look at Las Vegas and Seattle in the NHL, one of the conditional precedents was to go out and do a season ticket drive, so everybody knows that the market that everyone thinks is there is really there. I think it’s fair to say that that will absolutely be part of our plan.”

The Las Vegas model included playing for the NHL title and the Stanley Cup in the Golden Knights’ inaugural season.

“I have no problem with that,” LeBlanc said.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:27 PM

article states stadium will cost in excess of $200M. surely they can build something for $150- $175M.

Tim Hortons Field cost less than $150M and that included demolition of Ivor Wynne.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:31 PM

^ Maybe they're planning to go bigger? THF is a fairly basic stadium.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Maybe they're planning to go bigger? THF is a fairly basic stadium.
That would be great if true. But if financing a stadium is a stumbling block, a no frills stadium like THF that can be upgraded as needed would probably be the better route to go. At least to get the team running.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:36 PM

^ That's true. And it may well be that they dial back the proposal a bit as part of the negotiation process.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:29 PM

I think they'll go like Ottawa and Hamilton, around 24k with 22k seats and 2k party decks. I've seen people at other forums talking 30k (ridiculous). I could even live with 18k seats and 2k patio (20k total) to begin with. They could still make money and if things went well create scarcity and demand.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I think they'll go like Ottawa and Hamilton, around 24k with 22k seats and 2k party decks. I've seen people at other forums talking 30k (ridiculous). I could even live with 18k seats and 2k patio (20k total) to begin with. They could still make money and if things went well create scarcity and demand.
I'm on board with the 22K-24K range. Seems to be the sweet spot in the East.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
article states stadium will cost in excess of $200M.
That's just a number that was bandied around as a starting point for discussion. Bruce Bowser actually mentioned it, I think, at the Ambrosie tour meeting and on the CTV Atlantic TV interview.

It`s a good place to start even if it ends up being higher or lower.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
article states stadium will cost in excess of $200M. surely they can build something for $150- $175M.

Tim Hortons Field cost less than $150M and that included demolition of Ivor Wynne.
They also started construction of THF back in 2012/2013. I'm sure they are probably a few years out from even beginning the construction of this stadium. A $150 million stadium in 2013 might be $180 - $200 million in 2020 - 2022.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
They also started construction of THF back in 2012/2013. I'm sure they are probably a few years out from even beginning the construction of this stadium. A $150 million stadium in 2013 might be $180 - $200 million in 2020 - 2022.
THF construction costs were supposed to be 120 million with a 25 million dollar contingency fund (total 145 million)

It may be too optimistic but LeBlanc did say he'd like to see shovels in the ground or a very substantial agreement this year (2018)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:39 PM

I could see them build 24K in Halifax, but maybe put in a little extra to build something more impressive compared to the more basic TD and THF. This is going to be the east coasts only major league sports franchise and they need to attract fans from all over, so a bare-bones stadium won't cut it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:41 PM

I get that there's not much space "downtown Halifax" for a stadium but it sounds like the two options right now are;
-Suburban office park surrounded by parking
or
-Suburban office park surrounded by parking

Sure you can build as many bars and hotels around the stadium in the outskirts as you want but if everybody has to (or realistically will) drive, most people will drive in/out of there as quickly as they can to beat the rush. The same happened in Ottawa with the Canadian Tire Centre out in Kanata. Yes there is "Kanata Centrum" nearby and many people will have dinner or a drink BEFORE the game but most people drive to/from the arena as fast as they can. Not a very enticing place to linger...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada