HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 4:19 AM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahatmose View Post
Hi all just wondering what this building used to be ...

Quote:
Ferguson pump station

Since 1877 this site has been a pumping station providing water to Hamilton’s oldest areas. The original steam powered station was replaced by an electrically powered station in 1912. In 2012 a new station was expertly integrated into this sloping site at the base of the escarpment while retaining the 1912 building.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 4:35 AM

Quote:
The 1965 plan for the Civic Square. This plan featured a planetarium, a sculpture court, and an auditorium, surrounded by gardens and roads that cross King Street West. The plan shows lots of public space between the buildings

Quote:
An artist’s sketch of the Murray Jones Downtown Urban Renewal Plan, 1965. In this sketch the gardens and long pools look inviting. The civic buildings are surrounded by open space. The downtown looks green and clean.

Quote:
Map showing position of the two super-blocks on either side of King Street West within the Urban Renewal Area. These super-blocks would turn King Street West into a thoroughfare for cars ensuring that traffic would move efficiently, unhindered by the intersections for the small streets. Park, Charles, and Market Streets would disappear under the super blocks, as would parts of MacNab and York Streets

Quote:
Revised Civic Square Plan, May 1969. The new plan had no room for gardens or long pools. The commercial space now dominates the scheme and a sky walk now crosses King Street West. The buildings are much more crowded together than in the original plan and King Street West is like a canyon running between the two blocks.

Great reading http://www.erudit.org/revue/uhr/2009.../029577ar.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 6:14 AM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 5:21 PM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 8:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Lots of great finds, Captain.

That last one of Main looking west from around Ferguson... did that stretch EVER look attractive?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 8:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Any guesses on the following?

1892 ( Most obviosu one, I think)
All James St. Top image is facing south, just across from old city hall (Bank of Hamilton prominent; it would have just recently been expanded in that photo correct?). Middle one is facing north from up in the city hall tower (the long roof of the armouries visible top right). Bottom pic is looking north from King.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 1:34 PM

Wow! Captain Kirk is really upping the ante. More great never-before-seen photos of Hamilton. Wicked!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 4:39 PM

facebook - Vintage Hamilton

Quote:
Here is an early architects rendering of the Pigott Building with a globe on top. Originally the first plans were for an "L" shaped building surrounding the Sun Life Building, with two identical art deco tops, one facing on James and the other on Main West next to Sun Life.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 11:25 PM

I've seen pictures of that business at the corner of James N and Market/ York a million times but until now I never really read the sign: DUNCAN & CO WALLPAPER WARE ROOMS. Weird.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 4:59 AM

Anyone have pictures, not paintings of Victoria Ave? I am failing at my own attempts so far...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 5:20 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
This one gave me a bit of a chill. That kind of looks like my grandfather!

It wasn't him. But he did have a chance to play for the Tigers... he stayed in the navy after the war and they wouldn't let him.

Awesome that someone still had a copy of that program and could share it. Note the failure of manual spell-checking before the days it became automatic.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
Anyone have pictures, not paintings of Victoria Ave? I am failing at my own attempts so far...
Found this

Quote:
The Lister house was built in 1875 by Joseph Lister at 127 Victoria Avenue South. In 1852, he constructed a four-storey stone building known as the Lister Block. The building was destroyed by fire in 1923, but the following year a new Lister Block was erected on the same site on James Street North. In 1948, this large family home was sold to a local contractor for conversion into an apartment building.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/170855379584650664/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 6:52 AM

Quote:
List of road tolls from the old Hamilton & Saltfleet Road Co, the owners of Barton St east of the city limits. Photo date is unknown, but thought to be early 20th century

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 11:36 PM

3 cents for a pig - that's highway robbery!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 AM

A Magic Mural

I wonder how many of you here remember having a coke and a burger here. I sure do !

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...back-1.2444316

My next day off is Thursday I think I will head down there for either a late breakfast or an early lunch around 11:00 AM ... see you there !

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 4:48 AM

Quote:
a church parade in 1907, showing the 91st Highlanders marching south on James Street just past Main. Note the Commerce Centre, now the Pigott Building.
Does anyone know what the building would be on the SW corner?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

Quote:
1967-12-23 - Christmas decorations at Gore Park featuring lit Christmas trees around the monument to Queen Victoria. An altered version of this photograph, with a superimposed Santa's sleigh in the air above the monument, appeared in the Hamilton Spectator on December 23, 1967.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Carnival King and Bay streets

Quote:
This picture shows a regiment from New York parading along James Street North. Early in the summer of 1889, Hamilton's Board of Trade proposed a massive summer carnival to celebrate and promote Hamilton's progress and its potential to become one of North America's most vibrant urban communities, the dates would be August 19-23. Every residence, every public building and business was brilliantly set off with evergreens, buntings, flags, flowers, and trophies of all kinds. One wondered how such a transformation could take place. Other carnivals were worthy of the Ambitious City, but this time, Hamilton took off her jacket, loosened the purse strings, spit on her civic hands, and overshadowed all previous attempts. Carnival week included two major street parades, open air musical concerts, sporting events, regattas on the bay, and fireworks displays. Newspaper reporters from across Canada and the United States came to Hamilton for the first time and their impressions were unanimously favourable, this summer carnival was an immense success.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:05 AM

Grand Trunk Station - Hamilton train images from the Hamilton 1913 book.

View form Pigott bldg

Quote:
Unveiling the statue of Sir John A MacDonald 1893. Note this was first placed in the middle of the intersection King & John St.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 11:12 AM

More awesomeness. Cheers.

Re the parade

I'm not sure that's James N. It looks more like King street to me or perhaps Market near James. Not sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos