Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 10:24 PM

EU to police drivers with black boxes

EU to police drivers with black boxes

November 1, 2009

Steven Swinford

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle6898129.ece

Quote:
THE European Union is drawing up plans for aircraft-style black box recorders to be fitted to all cars to help the police identify who is responsible for crashes.

A £2.4m, three-year study commissioned by the European commission’s transport arm has recommended the mandatory installation of the boxes in all cars. They will record 20 types of data, including speed, the car’s most recent movements and whether the driver braked or indicated.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 12:38 AM
YIMBY co-founder

It was a study, it is not a piece of legislation being voted upon. The EU hasn't taken a position on this, it is a study that recomended it.

/tired of everything being blamed on the EU, when it is usually the national governments who decide it together.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:26 PM
YIMBY co-founder

To get bakc to the topic: I dont' think this idea will fly. I can see it being installed in high-end cars as a sort of security feature, but installing in all EU cars? not very doable.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 5:01 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

I already got a "black box" in my car - it's GPS based and records speed, location and time among some other data.. ( also works in case of theft )

Oh and it cuts my auto insurance rate in half

http://www.alka.dk/Privat/Alka%20Kun...Alka_Boks.ashx

The downside is that if the fault is mine in case of an accident there's no way getting around being guilty in speeding or wreckless driving etc.. ( but I'm of course still insurred ) and they can only use the data if I agree to it and only the last 30 seconds

I would very much support such in all cars, especially in the teen's as they are often those ones who do the speeding and end up in fatal accidents..

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:15 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Having it become common by way of lower insurance premiums is a smart move.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe