HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Colorado Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
I wouldn't get your hopes up, it is looking more and more likely this won't happen. They are having trouble getting pre-leases and it makes sense why if you look at the vacancy for Class A space. There really isn't enough demand to build something this large it seems.
That's too bad.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
That's too bad.
If only we come crowdfund it!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 7:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post
If only we come crowdfund it!
Yea plus we could increase the height by 300 feet lol

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 7:18 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
I wouldn't get your hopes up, it is looking more and more likely this won't happen. They are having trouble getting pre-leases and it makes sense why if you look at the vacancy for Class A space. There really isn't enough demand to build something this large it seems.
Why so negative? Pre-leasing is a tough process, sure. But this project is moving along and will break ground within the next 60 days (probably less).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keone View Post
Why so negative? Pre-leasing is a tough process, sure. But this project is moving along and will break ground within the next 60 days (probably less).
I hope you are right and I am wrong. I am just deducing based on delays, insiders mentioning a believe April deadline to finalize pre-leases and the fact that there are 2 office buildings trying to be built while Class A vacancy is over 10%. I am not nearly as knowledgeable about business office development and that it's not just vacancy, but size of the blocks available etc... However, it seems like any of the office developments are having a hard time getting off the ground.

I really do hope that both 3rd and Colorado and IBC Bank Plaza happen as they are both good designs and IBC makes the utmost use of the CVC cap. So if in a couple of months these are both breaking ground, I will happily respond that I was wrong!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 4:32 PM

Here's an interesting quote about 3rd & Colorado buried in the JAMCo article in the online edition of the ABJ today.....

Quote:
Cousins officials announced a year ago that the company would break ground late last year on the 30-story office tower. That didn’t happen, but plans might be coming together based upon Greeves’ comments Wednesday in a phone conversation with the Austin Business Journal.
The article doesn't elaborate further, but clearly they had a conversation about it. Full article is here: JAMCo Builds Bastrop Facility; Austin High-Rise On Track. http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ty-austin.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 8:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Its looking more and more like our skyline will be filled with cranes over the next 2 years!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:28 PM

Yeah, I don't think most people in town really have any idea what is going to happen this year. A lot of people will be talking in particular about the Marriott, the scope of that building is massive. Last year although it was impossible to miss all the construction none of the buildings are all that tall (although Gables does stand out quite a bit).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 2:07 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'd say its looking really good that by the end of the year we will have this building, Seaholm, Fairmont, 7Rio, The 19 floor residential tower by the the Hyatt (I'm not fond of the name to be honest). Hotel VanZant, IBC Bank. Possibly Shoal Creek Tower, Rainey Street Center? Westin, Hotel ZaZa. Just the most major projects off the top of my head. Plus the ones already under construction other than Sky house and AMILI which those cranes will be down in within 3 to 4 months. If timing comes out just right we could have as many as 18 to 20 cranes up simultaneously. That's only Downtown alone assuming some of the projects will have more than one crane. I'm thinking the Fairmont will have 3 like the Marriott.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 2:49 AM
Meh

There have been very few "starts" this year as far as highrise construction goes. What has been impressive is the carryover construction from last year and the announcements of revived projects, namely The Catherine, Hotel Van Zandt, 7th Rio Grande and the Hotel ZaZa, all of which are years old proposals.

So far there have been just two highrise construction starts this year - The Catherine and 7th & Rio Grande. But of course, there are about 10 highrises total under construction in Austin carrying over from last year. Later this year and next will be even more impressive as the current construction projects get up in the air and more projects break ground. We saw 5 highrise construction starts in 2012. 2011 also saw five highrise starts. There was only one in 2010 and three in 2009. The highest number in recent years was 7 in 2007.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 6:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

From 3 Eleven Bowie on the west side to Corazon on the east side. From the South Lamar development on the south side up to the University Park area north of downtown. There will be cranes all over the freaking place.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
From 3 Eleven Bowie on the west side to Corazon on the east side. From the South Lamar development on the south side up to the University Park area north of downtown. There will be cranes all over the freaking place.
What other US city with 1 million or less population can compare to this level of construction activity? Besides Miami?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
What other US city with 1 million or less population can compare to this level of construction activity? Besides Miami?
Probably Nashville, its the only city I can think of that is about Austin size with alot of construction.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 4:40 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So far there have been just two highrise construction starts this year - The Catherine and 7th & Rio Grande.
Are those actually started? I thought they were just doing prep on them?

I was just doing some maintenance on the Austin Projects & Such thread's list in the op and didn't know if I should move those up to U/C or not. For now I haven't. But if they are started perhaps I should?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Are those actually started? I thought they were just doing prep on them?

I was just doing some maintenance on the Austin Projects & Such thread's list in the op and didn't know if I should move those up to U/C or not. For now I haven't. But if they are started perhaps I should?
The Catharine has started. 7 Rio is still doing site prep, as of now they have dug a large trench.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I only count 27 floors in the rendering. I'm guessing it'll be around 350 feet tall. That'll make it our 2nd tallest office building, but today that would be Austin's 11th tallest building, and possibly the 26th tallest in the city in a few years time. Love the design, though. Duda/Paine is designing it. They also did Frost.

I'm not exactly surprised it's not going to be very tall. It would mean blocking the views from The Austonian. And I'm not surprised it has some fancy crown either since the light pollution would also interfere with residents in The Austonian. I am wondering how they'll light the crown so that it shows up, but isn't a distraction.
The building has 28 floors. There is no 13th floor, however the parking starts counting at "P1" even though it begins on the 2nd level and the ground floor is not included in the numbering system, so it averages out to 28 floors. See the below stack from their marketing materials. Also, there are renderings on their website ( http://3rdandcolorado.com/ ) that show the building at night - it appears that the crown will be softly illuminated from inside, so it will glow without being too bright for the Austonian residents.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:46 PM

From Cousin's 3rd and Colorado website.

They seem to be missing the basic local knowledge to put a simple map together.

Probably extracted some elements from Google Maps without correcting things like alleyways, unused street identifiers and I-35 (yes I know 290 shares that stretch, but nobody would recognize it as 290).

Source: http://3rdandcolorado.com/content/location

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 9:27 PM

Found this cool "Construction Video" for 3rd and Colorado.

http://www.m2studio.net

Look towards the bottom for animations.
Then again towards the bottom of the list for "3rd and Colorado"

There are some other cool annimations there as well!
THE LAST ENTRY UNDER ANIMATIONS IS LISTED FOR THE "AUSTIN HYATT" BUT IT'S ACTUALLY THE JW MARIOTT!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Found this cool "Construction Video" for 3rd and Colorado.

http://www.m2studio.net

Look towards the bottom for animations.
Then again towards the bottom of the list for "3rd and Colorado"

There are some other cool annimations there as well!
THE LAST ENTRY UNDER ANIMATIONS IS LISTED FOR THE "AUSTIN HYATT" BUT IT'S ACTUALLY THE JW MARIOTT!!!!!!!
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but did anyone else notice the Whaleshark Media banner on the construction crane in the 3rd and Colorado animation? Did Cousins find it's tenant for their project? I certainly hope so, and hope to hear an announcement soon!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
From Cousin's 3rd and Colorado website.

They seem to be missing the basic local knowledge to put a simple map together.

Probably extracted some elements from Google Maps without correcting things like alleyways, unused street identifiers and I-35 (yes I know 290 shares that stretch, but nobody would recognize it as 290).

Source: http://3rdandcolorado.com/content/location
Oh, how much I hate that 290 at rush hour. Does't seem like a locally created map.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin