HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
So the cons on here are making fun of Justin celebrate status and now watch them all back Leary for his celebrity status. He'll need to quit his CBC job to join that CBC hating party.
You don't understand the difference between a self made success story & a trust fund boy born into a family of disfunction & scandal?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:21 PM
ハルウララ

Manning Conference main speakers are O'Leary, Chong, and Clement - all of whom are referred to as potential Leadership hopefuls.

Kenney noticeably absent.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:07 AM

A possible future leader would be Alupa Clarke who is currently the MP for Beauport-Limoilou in Quebec City.

I just can't see the CPC having a great leader this time around. The current slate of possible people is just horrible in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:56 PM

Please, O'Leary, go away.

His only talent is self-aggrandisement. He's a charlatan and a fraud. It would be disastrous if he became a political leader.

He is NOT a good businessman. His style of business is just like Trump's: he's good at hype and getting people to give him their money, but he creates nothing of value. O'Leary makes sure O'Leary gets paid, and leaves everyone else holding the bag.

Here's a nice article about him: http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016...usiness-career

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Please, O'Leary, go away.

His only talent is self-aggrandisement. He's a charlatan and a fraud. It would be disastrous if he became a political leader.

He is NOT a good businessman. His style of business is just like Trump's: he's good at hype and getting people to give him their money, but he creates nothing of value. O'Leary makes sure O'Leary gets paid, and leaves everyone else holding the bag.

Here's a nice article about him: http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016...usiness-career
I really really doubt that a large enough number of Canadians would buy into O'Leary to the point where he could become Conservative leader.

Though I've been surprised (in a bad way) before...

Still really doubt it though.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I really really doubt that a large enough number of Canadians would buy into O'Leary to the point where he could become Conservative leader.

Though I've been surprised (in a bad way) before...

Still really doubt it though.
Agreed. It isn't happening, I'd be willing to bet my life that O Leary will not become leader.

I'd have to see policies, and more candidates, but it would be foolish not to elect Michael chong as leader. I know it's still early, but if he can appeal to the entire centre/centre right vote, he could easily win next election. The CPC needs another Joe Clark or Peter Lougheed. Not more Stephen Harper or Preston Manning.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Agreed. It isn't happening, I'd be willing to bet my life that O Leary will not become leader.

I'd have to see policies, and more candidates, but it would be foolish not to elect Michael chong as leader. I know it's still early, but if he can appeal to the entire centre/centre right vote, he could easily win next election. The CPC needs another Joe Clark or Peter Lougheed. Not more Stephen Harper or Preston Manning.
Does Michael Chong parlay voo?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
I don't know this guy, but do people who can't even bother throwing their hat in the ring?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I don't know this guy, but do people who can't even bother throwing their hat in the ring?
Some do. But they rarely get very far.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Good question. I tried looking it up but can't find anything. Harper learned pretty fast though didn't he?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Good question. I tried looking it up but can't find anything. Harper learned pretty fast though didn't he?
No, Harper spoke French from childhood. He was basically his class superstar in French when he was a kid. It may have lapsed a bit during his young adult years but he had a very strong base to build his French upon when entered politics.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
No, Harper spoke French from childhood. He was basically his class superstar in French when he was a kid. It may have lapsed a bit during his young adult years but he had a very strong base to build his French upon when entered politics.
Very interesting...did not know that!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Does Michael Chong parlay voo
I saw this statement that's partly written in French.so I guess he does a little bit?

http://michaelchong.ca/2006/11/27/mi...006-statement/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
So the cons on here are making fun of Justin celebrate status and now watch them all back Leary for his celebrity status. He'll need to quit his CBC job to join that CBC hating party.
Do tell. What CBC job might that be?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:47 PM

Conservatives issue rules for leadership contest to replace Stephen Harper

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cons...rper-1.3483049

Quote:
The spending limit is more than five times the $950,000 ceiling for the Liberal leadership campaign in 2013. The NDP imposed a limit of $500,000 in 2012.

It will also be a long campaign, with the new Conservative leader to be picked on May 27, 2017. The Liberal campaign was five months long, the NDP race six months.

Candidates must be Tory members for at least six months when they enter the contest.

The party will not follow the example of the Liberals, who let non-members vote for their leadership. Only Conservative members will be allowed to cast ballots in the 338 ridings, and they will have to pay for their own memberships.

Each riding will carry equal weight in picking the new leader.

The leadership became vacant when Harper resigned following the Conservative defeat in the October federal election.

Rona Ambrose was chosen to fill in on an interim basis with the understanding the interim leader would not enter the race.

No one has declared their intention to run, but polls have named former cabinet minister Peter MacKay as an early front-runner.

Others mentioned as possible candidates include former cabinet ministers Tony Clement, Jason Kenny and Lisa Raitt, along with businessman and television personality Kevin O'Leary — who likely would have to take out a membership and wait the six months required by the rules if he decided to run.

Candidates must register by Feb. 24, 2017.

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:03 PM
Closed account

I'm pretty sure he said he won't run, but Brad Wall really seems to be more vocal on the national stage latelly, so I wonder if he won't run after all.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I'm pretty sure he said he won't run, but Brad Wall really seems to be more vocal on the national stage latelly, so I wonder if he won't run after all.
He has repeatedly said that he isn't running federally, and he's about to be re-elected Premier, so his credibility would be rather weak if he suddenly did an about-face. On the other hand, he's probably better than some of the names being talked about, although he seems increasingly "old school" Conservative, especially on the environment.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 9:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Brad Wall as PC leader? The idea is sure to excite some folk. Practically climbing the walls, if you will pardon the pun.

24media
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 10, 2016 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
You don't understand the difference between a self made success story & a trust fund boy born into a family of disfunction & scandal?
Yes do you?

His mother (Kevin O'Leary) married married an economist who worked with the UN's International Labour Organization. Due to his stepfather's international assignments, O'Leary lived in many places, moving frequently. He spent time in Cambodia, Tunisia, and Cyprus, where he learned about world cultures. O'Leary attended Montreal schools Stanstead College and St. George's School.

Yup, sounds like he didn't have a tough childhood either. Can we call him a trust fund kids as well? Why do you cons always need to name call? It's no wonder why Rob Ford's falls under the conservative end of the political spectrum.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

nationalpost
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada