HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:46 PM

[QUOTE=micheal;5604995]No offence to you man. It was the inability of the feds to come up with a stadium funding policy of whether to fund stadiums or not. If they had agreed there would have been shovels in the ground.

My first posting on this website was to state that there was no way the federal government was going to fund this, or any other professional sports facility outside of any major athletic games. I too would love to attend a game in a new Rider stadium and wish you hard core Rider fans good luck in finding the financial resources to build the best damn football stadium you can afford!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 12:00 AM

There was the small election window with Quebec. It would of opened up pandoras box tho, I can see why the Feds dumped the idea as Alberta would of been slithering for funds also for the new NHL rinks.

We can hiss at how we are rolling in cash but it is simply bad politics for Wall and co to foot the majority of the tab, but then on the flip Regina has few means to pay for a facility (as dated plans stand) so you can see why Fiacoo is jumping ship. His last public talk on this was a mudsling at Winnipeg with baseless junk.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 9:19 PM

The Minnesota Vikings just announced that their new $1billion stadium, will be funded by the team ($427 million), the State ($398 million), and the City ($150 million)

credit: Vikings.com

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:40 PM

An interesting take away from Minnesota is that Minneapolis is only contributing 150$M. For a City that is almost 3 times the size or Regina with a substantial amount of corporate money there also. Regina could not fork over that same amount realistically.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
An interesting take away from Minnesota is that Minneapolis is only contributing 150$M. For a City that is almost 3 times the size or Regina with a substantial amount of corporate money there also. Regina could not fork over that same amount realistically.
3x? Try about 15x.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:41 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Let's keep in mind that the St. Paul's-Minneapolis region has ~670k in the city (~3 Million in the urban/metro area). With a ratio like that, chances are they could have some pretty high infrastructure expenses due to it being more expensive to keep up suburban areas. There is a also a river there (like in Saskatoon for example) and infrastructure like bridges can cost hundreds of millions (for example 270 million for Saskatoon's Circle Drive South Bridge, 70 of which is the responsibility of the city). Bridge building is something Regina doesn't have to worry about (I'm not counting our single arch 4m span bridges)...

We should also keep in mind that St. Paul built an NHL arena in the late 90s, and a new MLB stadium in the last few years as well.

So yes, they are bigger and have a much bigger fiscal capacity... but the region has definitely been putting it to full use.

Edit:

Just thought I'd clarify... I'm not trying to say we can definitely afford it. I'm just trying to say that each city's circumstances are different and making comparisons isn't always clear cut or appropriate.

Last edited by Nathan; Mar 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:38 AM

It is a different game in the States hense why I lowballed the comparison numbers. Countys push more on these types of projects and Counties would team up with the state for large projects. So Regina could be split north and west at the tracks and have to compete with eachother, and work with each other.

A number of around 500-650K people sounds right. Still I can almost guarantee they had to scrape around for that 150M. Researching further the Vikings whom are worth hundreds of millions and receive 100% of the benefits of a new field are only paying 30% and that 30% is mostly made up from an NFL grant of 200 million and the 65-100 million in naming rights! Lmao. Corporate welfare or what.

After reading back up on the Minni example I learned that Santa Clara California is in the same position. They are only 117K large, it is a mostly wealthy population but with a batterd and broke California State purse the City is having to take on most of the costs of a new Stadium for the 49ers. They are looking at 800Million to be divided up amongst the 117K residents. Do surprise the Stadium proposal is getting swift opposition from local residents, this is a case to keep a eye on because it will share many similarities with Regina's situation.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:33 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
It is a different game in the States hense why I lowballed the comparison numbers. Countys push more on these types of projects and Counties would team up with the state for large projects. So Regina could be split north and west at the tracks and have to compete with eachother, and work with each other.

A number of around 500-650K people sounds right. Still I can almost guarantee they had to scrape around for that 150M. Researching further the Vikings whom are worth hundreds of millions and receive 100% of the benefits of a new field are only paying 30% and that 30% is mostly made up from an NFL grant of 200 million and the 65-100 million in naming rights! Lmao. Corporate welfare or what.

After reading back up on the Minni example I learned that Santa Clara California is in the same position. They are only 117K large, it is a mostly wealthy population but with a batterd and broke California State purse the City is having to take on most of the costs of a new Stadium for the 49ers. They are looking at 800Million to be divided up amongst the 117K residents. Do surprise the Stadium proposal is getting swift opposition from local residents, this is a case to keep a eye on because it will share many similarities with Regina's situation.
I don't see how it's at all comparable. If your info/numbers are true, the city is half our size, crushed by the recession (not necessarily the city, but the region/state), and building a stadium almost double our most expensive proposal. That and I'd say there's more support than opposition here for the project (not to say there is no opposition).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:06 AM

Was anyone here around when they added onto Mosaic the west and east stands? What was the mentality of people then... were we saying we can't afford it or it shouldn't be built? What has happened in the past is a good indicator of what is going to happen again.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:39 AM
surely you agree with me

a billion dollars and the minnesota stadium has a non-retractable dome roof?....that's bush.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Was anyone here around when they added onto Mosaic the west and east stands? What was the mentality of people then... were we saying we can't afford it or it shouldn't be built? What has happened in the past is a good indicator of what is going to happen again.
Yes I was a kid but I remember well that it was very controversial.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:42 PM

There was also talk that they should've just built brand new but that was considered too expensive at the time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:21 AM
The New Republic

That Vikings stadium looks amazing! Would be great for the CFL with just the first 2 tiers of seating, but keeping the roof at the height it is there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That Vikings stadium looks amazing! Would be great for the CFL with just the first 2 tiers of seating, but keeping the roof at the height it is there.
I agree that with using just the first two tiers it would be a gorgeous CFL stadium. Unfortunately, what CFL team could ever afford such a stadium. If the whole stadium is going to be $1 billion +, the first two tiers have to run at least $600 million. Way out of our league and our economic realities. Still it does not hurt to dream.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
This new stadium is expected to cost $975 million and seat 65,000. That is $15,000 per seat. The city of Minneapolis is contributing $150 million, the state of Minnesota $398 million and the Vikings $427 million. The Vikings and the city of Minneapolis will split the operating costs (expected to be $516 million over the next 30 years).

Regina's proposed new stadium would be a little more than half this size. If our $450+ million stadium had the same financing structure, you would have Regina contributing $75 million, the province of Saskatchewan contributing $199 million and the Riders contributing $214 million. You can see why we have a funding issue, especially when you consider the Riders and the province are never going to chip in $413 million towards our stadium. Minneapolis is a much bigger and much wealthier city than Regina and they are only contributing $150 million. Makes you think doesn't it. Also, Minnesota is home to several multi-billion dollar companies. I don't see any of them contributing to the construction of this stadium (outside of luxury boxes and advertising). Why do we expect our private companies to be any different?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:03 PM

On a different note, anyone read Mr. Loblaws schtik on the old CPR land. He said that rather than build a stadium, we should build the new library, art gallery, theatre and arts centre... things that make money. Does he have any clue at all! Name me 1 library that makes money. Perhaps too, he should check out the city of Saskatoon which now will be on the hook for multiple millions of dollars annually just to operate their new art gallery.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
This new stadium is expected to cost $975 million and seat 65,000. That is $15,000 per seat. The city of Minneapolis is contributing $150 million, the state of Minnesota $398 million and the Vikings $427 million. The Vikings and the city of Minneapolis will split the operating costs (expected to be $516 million over the next 30 years).

Regina's proposed new stadium would be a little more than half this size. If our $450+ million stadium had the same financing structure, you would have Regina contributing $75 million, the province of Saskatchewan contributing $199 million and the Riders contributing $214 million. You can see why we have a funding issue, especially when you consider the Riders and the province are never going to chip in $413 million towards our stadium. Minneapolis is a much bigger and much wealthier city than Regina and they are only contributing $150 million. Makes you think doesn't it. Also, Minnesota is home to several multi-billion dollar companies. I don't see any of them contributing to the construction of this stadium (outside of luxury boxes and advertising). Why do we expect our private companies to be any different?

There is little doubt that funding structure would not work in Saskatachewan. However, my question is why do the people of Minnesota seem have no problem with their tax dollars going towards a new stadium while some people up here lose their minds at the mere mention of the provincial government contriubting to a stadium in Regina?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
However, my question is why do the people of Minnesota seem have no problem with their tax dollars going towards a new stadium while some people up here lose their minds at the mere mention of the provincial government contributing to a stadium in Regina?

But the people of Minnesota do have problems with their tax dollar going to the Vikings. This battle has raged for over 10 years. It got so bad about 3 or 4 years ago there was talk of moving the team because the taxpayers refused to contribute the huge amounts wanted to subsidize a retractable roof stadium. Before the Vikings were only putting up about $150 million.

The stadium process in Regina is only a couple of years old....give it time.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:35 PM
Hmm....

A big difference is that the people opposed can't use the "we are building something for a rich owner to use" line. The Riders are community owned and all profits have to go back into the team or to support amateur/community programmes. There are still detractors of course, but one of the main "beefs" can't really be used/applied here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 7:04 PM

I do think the provincial government would have to foot most of the cost of a new stadium. Unfortunately, Premier Wall has indicated that the government is currently in belt-tightening mode, and so that money is not likely to be forthcoming any time soon. It would probably take a year or two of exceptional revenues for the government to consider setting aside an excess $200 million for a new outdoor stadium (with the city and private money covering the other $50 million or so).

On one hand, I'm glad Premier Wall is getting ahead of the game (unlike most other politicians!) and not going into deficit spending before we have another downturn. At the same time though, Mosaic Stadium is not getting any younger and will eventually need to be replaced, most likely within a decade. I might advocate that during good years, the government should direct one-time windfall revenues towards a stadium construction fund. Then we can start building once we have the money.

As for building a domed stadium (with or without a retractable roof), it should be fairly clear by this point that that'd just be a pipe dream; it simply costs far too much, and we don't have that type of money. Let's just be sensible and build what is realistic for us without overextending ourselves. An outdoor stadium will be costly enough as it is, and people outside Regina will grumble enough as it is about having to pay taxes to support it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan