HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Out of curiosity, who invited Sting? The Raptors or the NBA?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
This thread is a complete dumpster fire.
Don't worry it'll get back on track, they always do. Just a momentary diversion

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Out of curiosity, who invited Sting? The Raptors or the NBA?
The NBA. Odd choice for a very young and hip-hop oriented fanbase.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
It is, and we're talking about Canadian basketball and not the Raptors which is probably pissing some people off who think basketball in Canada started with the Raptors, so be it.
Though, it is worth noting that the Raptors are seemingly responsible for the sudden explosion of high-end basketball talent coming out of the GTA. The NBA is suddenly full of young Ontarians such as Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Dwight Powell, Kelly Olynyk, Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Anthony Bennet and soon Jamal Murray... all of whom were born around the time that the franchise was created, and grew up watching Vince Carter.

Ironically this "American" league is responsible for Canada likely becoming a regular medal-winner in international basketball.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Though, it is worth noting that the Raptors are seemingly responsible for the sudden explosion of high-end basketball talent coming out of the GTA. The NBA is suddenly full of young Ontarians such as Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Dwight Powell, Kelly Olynyk, Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Anthony Bennet and soon Jamal Murray... all of whom were born around the time that the franchise was created, and grew up watching Vince Carter.

Ironically this "American" league is responsible for Canada likely becoming a regular medal-winner in international basketball.
Can't argue with the first paragraph and hopefully the second will come to fruition.

But some of the NBA/Rap crowd have a real ignorance about the quality of European and South American basketball that may prevent the latter from happening. Not to downplay the other teams, but we will be playing France and Turkey in the Olympic qualifiers and that should give us a better idea of where we stand.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:13 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Good read about life in the minors!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:41 PM
ハルウララ

Shoutout to the NYT writing about the basketball team in my hometown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good article.

Definitely not glamorous, but a realistic portrayal of minor league pro basketball in Canada. The situation would be the same in almost every other country in the world too.

Their is only one "show" for basketball in the world and that is the NBA. Every other league is a journeyman league, but that doesn't mean that the quality of the game is bad. The NBL is just under-appreciated.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good article.

Definitely not glamorous, but a realistic portrayal of minor league pro basketball in Canada. The situation would be the same in almost every other country in the world too.

Their is only one "show" for basketball in the world and that is the NBA. Every other league is a journeyman league, but that doesn't mean that the quality of the game is bad. The NBL is just under-appreciated.
I don't think I'd call some of the European leagues "journeymen leagues" There's lots of clubs in Europe that could give NBA teams more than they could handle.

We are always unduly influenced by money, glitz and glamour. In 1972 the Russians had holes in their socks, poor skates and shoddy equipment. They gave us more than we could handle.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 8:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Perhaps I didn't express myself well.

What I meant is that the NBA gets all the glory, but that there are a lot of "nearly great" basketball players who for whatever reason didn't make the show and ended up playing in minor professional leagues around the world. These players, under slightly different circumstance, could have played in the NBA but missed their chance and unfortunately ended up riding in broken down school busses through snowstorms to get to games rather than jetting around North America and netting eight figure salaries.

We have an NBL team in Moncton, and I find the quality of the product to be very good. I feel sorry for the players because they are playing for starvation wages, but despite this, play their hearts out in front of small but dedicated crowds. They deserve better.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
What I meant is that the NBA gets all the glory, but that there are a lot of "nearly great" basketball players who for whatever reason didn't make the show and ended up playing in minor professional leagues around the world. These players, under slightly different circumstance, could have played in the NBA but missed their chance and unfortunately ended up riding in broken down school busses through snowstorms to get to games rather than jetting around North America and netting eight figure salaries.
Amen

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 9:09 PM

Quote:
We have an NBL team in Moncton, and I find the quality of the product to be very good. I feel sorry for the players because they are playing for starvation wages, but despite this, play their hearts out in front of small but dedicated crowds. They deserve better.
One reason why my interest in the NHL, MLB and NBA has declined steadily since childhood (I was never interested in the NFL). For me there is no relatability and the ever increasing cult of celebrity is a turn off. There are only so many third rate Muhammad Ali imitators I can take, been there seen that. Style has eclipsed substance and most "fans" are unable to distinguish the difference.

My example of that would be a player (about ten years ago) who was probably the least talented on the Canadian men's soccer team. He was able to secure a trial and make the roster of the highest profile club of any of our players. Did he suddenly become a better player the day he signed the contract and jumped from a third division side to a first? Not likely. The reasons people play in "better" leagues are varied from timing, to team needs, politics, personalities, and injuries. It's not always about talent.

Doug Flutie himself said the quality of CFL player was comparable to the NFL "but for one reason or another the certain player "didn't fit the mould" And an NFL assistant coach whose name I can't recall now said that the last fourteen players making an NFL roster were equivalent to the last fourteen cuts.

Last edited by elly63; Feb 13, 2016 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 4:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Doug Flutie himself said the quality of CFL player was comparable to the NFL "but for one reason or another the certain player "didn't fit the mould" And an NFL assistant coach whose name I can't recall now said that the last fourteen players making an NFL roster were equivalent to the last fourteen cuts.
The joke i've always heard is that the guys that ended up in the CFL (from the States) were the guys that couldn't read. That is to say, they couldn't read play formations or game strategies, and thus were cut from NFL camps for that reasoning.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 4:55 PM

I've been following the CFL a loooooong time and I've never heard that, nor believe it. The "mould" that Flutie was talking about usually refers to big school and big body; of course their are lots of exceptions and as the NFL moves to a type of play more similar to the CFL, you'll see less and less of that.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 9:56 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Shoutout to the NYT writing about the basketball team in my hometown.
Shout out to the NYT for covering Canada's basketball league. And you know people are true devotees of a sport when they support a league like the NBL. No glamour, no fame, no big money, but it's basketball and that's what matters most.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 3:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The NBA All-Star Game did not get much coverage here in Quebec but I did pay attention to the festivities because of all the chatter on SSP. I tuned in to the Toronto news as well just to see what they were saying.

Anyway, one thing I noticed is how the NBA does a masterful job on its All-Star Weekend. They make it into such a big deal. Wow.

They're better then MLB, which I used to think was the best All-Star Game of the major sports leagues. (But I'd still watch the MLB game first cause I like baseball better as a sport.)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 3:38 AM

All Star game is all stuff and nonsense. Getting to be too much like the WWF.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 3:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
All Star game is all stuff and nonsense. Getting to be too much like the WWF.
Not my cup of tea either (though I do like the MLB home run derby and the NHL skills competition), but as a person interested in sports marketing, I can't help but be impressed by the spectacle.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 11:50 PM
The New Republic

Looks like Tony Parker will play for #5 France in the last ditch Olympic qualifier in the Philippines. Canada is likely not bothered and likes its chances against any one. They have the talent and confidence to win. Rumour has it that even France are worried about getting past Canada.

Canada is grouped with France, Turkey, New Zealand, the Philippines, and Senegal. Only 1 spot is on offer so must win the whole group. Our roster isn't set but we will hopefully get our best players.

DEPTH CHART

Starting 5, Bench 1, Bench 3, Bench 3

C Kelly Olynyk, Dwight Powell, Robert Sacre, Joel Anthony
PF Tristan Thompson, Trey Lyles, Andrew Nicholson, Kyle Wiltjer
SF Andrew Wiggins , Anthony Bennett, Aaron Doornekamp, Melvin Ejim
SG Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Andy Rautins, Carl English
PG Cory Joseph, Jamal Murray Brady Heslip, Kevin Pangos

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 16, 2016 at 12:09 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada