HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Now that Buffalo is my new home, I shall have to understand the developments going on in the city.
Welcome! There isn't alot going on, so it should be a quick learning curve!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:37 AM
Great White Norf

^yeah, exactly.

Brandon, glad to hear you moved to Buffalo. I had the best 4 1/2 years of my life in Buffalo and consider the city to be my 2nd hometown.
where are you currently living?

Now that I live in Calgary one has to put effort forth to keep up with all the development here. big contrast.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:39 AM
Great White Norf

take advantage of the relatively inexpensive arts, culture and sporting events. Also read Artvoice to keep up with weekly events

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:58 AM

Moving from Pittsburgh. Have to finalize an apartment on monday and get things moved in the next two weeks, maybe next weekend if things go well.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 1:21 PM

With 13,000 posts, you likely have more than all of the regulars here combined.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 1:16 PM

Buffalo Rising will have the fly-through up later today (where these images were taken from). See BRO for other details on the latest plan.

http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/10...s-at-last.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 6:38 PM

Imagine "Canal Side" with a the "Skyway" adaptively re-used!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bison716 View Post
Hmm, I'd go to one of these meetings just to see the guy who starts talking at :56 seconds. Very attractive IMO.

Anyway, nice idea. LOL

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 12:05 AM
Great White Norf

Imagine Canal Side with the Skyway torn down

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 2:20 PM

New owner for Lafayette

Termini would not say how much he agreed to pay for the faded 367-room hotel, built for the 1901 Pan-American Exposition.

But he stressed that he’s still “kicking the tires” on the 110,000 square-foot building in a due diligence period for 60 days, and the purchase won’t close for another 60 days after that.

“I’ve been considering it for years, just waiting for the opportunity,” he said. “My plans are not clear yet. We’re working on that.”

Termini said the state preservation office is unlikely to allow it to be converted to office space, but it could be restored as a hotel or converted into apartments, although he said he’s not ready to make that decision. However, “the rooms are small,” so he wants to be able to combine rooms together, as well as eliminate some of the hallways. Additionally, he wants to do “a major restoration of the first floor,” where the original 1900s interior was covered up in the 1920s with an Art Deco design. “We need to know whether we can remove the Art Deco so we can go back to the period piece of the 1900s and make it a lot nicer,” he said. “We’re looking to restore the first floor to what it was once.”

The grand ballrooms are intact but also have to be restored, Termini said, and he wants to bring back the idea of three restaurants that used to occupy the first floor. He’s already started discussions with potential restaurant operators, but is not yet talking to any hotel operators. “There’s a lot of issues that have to be brought forward,” he said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/837702.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 3:13 AM

Sounds good but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Imagine Canal Side with the Skyway torn down
The hard reality is that the Skyway will not come come down and be coming down period. The best the city will do is light it up like the peace bridge and call it a day. But, by far Mr. Webber's idea of the Skyway is much greater than both outcomes. If the Skyway were to get torn down (it won't) but let's say if... if it really did. What would we build in the narrow long space? Another road part of Canalside? Maybe another restaurant and 2 more stores? More space for grass? Not really much when compared to what the Skyway resused could house within it! The possibilities would be endless and the international draw to such a structure would be gigantic. It would be the largest adaptive reuse green structure in the world, right here in our home. Our city of Buffalo! Please read Ran Webbers proposal before jumping to conclusions. His idea would greatly impact the waterfront and our city in ways we could not imagine.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 3:21 AM

Great news!!! Hopefully it becomes a mixed use building with a boutique hotel

Another project to look out for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post

[B]New owner for Lafayette[/Bvv

Termini would not say how much he agreed to pay for the faded 367-room hotel, built for the 1901 Pan-American Exposition.

But he stressed that he’s still “kicking the tires” on the 110,000 square-foot building in a due diligence period for 60 days, and the purchase won’t close for another 60 days after that.

“I’ve been considering it for years, just waiting for the opportunity,” he said. “My plans are not clear yet. We’re working on that.”

Termini said the state preservation office is unlikely to allow it to be converted to office space, but it could be restored as a hotel or converted into apartments, although he said he’s not ready to make that decision. However, “the rooms are small,” so he wants to be able to combine rooms together, as well as eliminate some of the hallways. Additionally, he wants to do “a major restoration of the first floor,” where the original 1900s interior was covered up in the 1920s with an Art Deco design. “We need to know whether we can remove the Art Deco so we can go back to the period piece of the 1900s and make it a lot nicer,” he said. “We’re looking to restore the first floor to what it was once.”

The grand ballrooms are intact but also have to be restored, Termini said, and he wants to bring back the idea of three restaurants that used to occupy the first floor. He’s already started discussions with potential restaurant operators, but is not yet talking to any hotel operators. “There’s a lot of issues that have to be brought forward,” he said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/837702.html

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 4:44 PM

Also on the agenda- preliminary plans for the AMA&'s store-

City of Buffalo Planning Board
377 MAIN STREET
Request to be SEQR Lead Agency for the
rehabilitation project of the old "AM&A's" store
into a 117 room flagship hotel with banquet
facilities, a food court, offices and apartments.

http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/10...l#SlideFrame_0

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:19 PM

Rocco cannot be stopped...This guy is on fire! His success rate speaks for him

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 6:52 PM

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/842474.html

Statler deal grinds forward with deposit payment

By Matt Glynn
News Business Reporter
October 28, 2009, 2:30 PM

The prospective purchasers of the Statler Towers today provided a $261,000 payment to the trustee in the Statler bankruptcy case, erasing a problem that had threatened to derail the group's plan to acquire the property.

William Savino, an attorney for New Buffalo Statler Redevelopment, handed over the check at a court hearing.

"This is great news for Buffalo," Savino said afterward. "People wouldn't put money at risk if they weren't confident" about completing the deal.

Garry Graber, an attorney for the Statler trustee, Morris Horwitz, said the group has now paid about $500,000 of the $1.3 million purchase price, which was established when the group submitted the winning bid at an August auction. The rest of the money is due Nov. 30.

The amount the group has invested in the Statler thus far is even larger, about $750,000, when counting other expenses the group has paid, such as the Statler's operating expenses, Graber said.

"We're happy it worked out today," Graber said. "It makes it much more likely the deal will close, in my opinion."

But as with so many developments in the Statler case, the payment did not come about smoothly.

The check was supposed to be delivered to Horwitz by 5 p.m. Tuesday, but that didn't happen. Savino cited factors unrelated to the bankruptcy case that delayed the release of the money to the trustee.

Savino would not identify the source of the $261,000. It was sent to attorney Ralph Lorigo, whom the unidentified investor chose as an escrow agent, until an agreement to hand over the money was finalized. The start of today's hearing was delayed for more than an hour.

New Buffalo Statler Redevelopment also agreed to the trustee's insistence on adding $30,000 to the Statler purchase price, to cover expenses incurred that stemmed from delays in completing the deal.

Graber initially called for tacking on $50,000 to the purchase price, and told U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Carl L. Bucki that the trustee would not accept the $261,000 check without a commitment to that additional amount.

Savino balked at the $50,000 figure. But while the hearing was still under way, the prospective purchasers and trustee compromised on the $30,000 figure.

The $261,000 payment was one condition of a second extension New Buffalo Statler Redevelopment was given to close the deal.

But a Connecticut-based investment group that underwrote the initial $261,000 check stopped payment on it earlier this month, throwing the process into doubt.

Horwitz had warned New Buffalo Statler Redevelopment that it could be found in default if the money was not replaced, which prompted the payment that was made today.

Bucki at the end of today's hearing noted the conditions the prospective buyers must still meet, including the Nov. 30 closing date.

"I hope that last condition comes true, but I've been surprised before," Bucki said.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 3:33 PM

Since I'm very, very new to the Buffalo scene was wondering if any areas south of downtown are set for renovation or demolition? The industrial landscape south of the city seems like prime real estate upon the lake, but I haven't got enough information about the area yet to understand what is under conceptual redevelopment or either actual plans for change.

Any tips??

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunate4Now View Post

I like it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 2:03 AM

Is there a reason the construction has a white concrete look and the photo looks like the building is blue glass?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
^yeah, exactly.

Brandon, glad to hear you moved to Buffalo. I had the best 4 1/2 years of my life in Buffalo and consider the city to be my 2nd hometown.
where are you currently living?

Now that I live in Calgary one has to put effort forth to keep up with all the development here. big contrast.
I'm in Tonawanda, couldn't find appropriate arrangements in the city in time for the move so just signed what I found that worked well with the budget.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Is there a reason the construction has a white concrete look and the photo looks like the building is blue glass?
Yeah, the glass hasn't been installed yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations