HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
It has a Flash Point of 57 degrees Fahrenheit. Yikes!
For some reason I thought that was a celsius temp. That it's Fahrenheit is unacceptably low.
The data sheet says not to store the material at over 80F. Where in the Vegas sun would this be under 80F on the side of a building?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 10:34 PM
Community Guy

guys guys guys...while EIFS has its inherent problems, it has been used for quite some time now and many many buildings are clad with it.

While it can be improved and SHOULD BE, it is still generally safe, durable, and practicle.

My condo has a modified EIFS with peel and stick underneath and it works just fine.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 6:13 AM
I am a typical

Think about it for a second though: Your condo's façade is decorated in what is little more than stickers.

I find that kinda funny. Sure it's prettier than cinder blocks on the 80s commieblocks but still, peel and stick façade?

You've come a long way, baby!!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 3:34 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Think about it for a second though: Your condo's façade is decorated in what is little more than stickers.

I find that kinda funny. Sure it's prettier than cinder blocks on the 80s commieblocks but still, peel and stick façade?

You've come a long way, baby!!
do you know what peel and stick is?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 3:55 PM
I am a typical

No, but it certainly sounds fun.

Apparently it mounts cleaner than a spray mount! Wow!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:29 PM
Community Guy

^

"Peel-and-Stick Window Flashing

Watch the video on Peel-and-Stick Window Flashing.

The way in which you install windows in a home greatly affects how well those windows perform. You need a good seal—one that guides water around the window opening and keeps the interior wall protected and dry. By using window flashing instead of caulk, you can increase protection from the weather for years to come.

This is important because a window can be a potential weak point in your wall for moisture. You'll want to use the right product and install it correctly. Improper installation can result in water leakage, mold, warping, and eventually structural damage, requiring costly repairs!

The best practice for installing a window uses peel-and-stick window flashing. The benefits of this product are its ability to form a watertight seal around the window and to seal tightly over nails and staples. This is an advantage over ordinary contractors' tape and caulk.

Here's how you do it:

Cut the house wrap at the top of the header at a 45-degree angle to create a flap. Tape the flap temporarily out of the way.

Apply the peel-and-stick flashing to the sill first, then lap the flashing up on the jambs.

Next, caulk all around the window opening except on the sill. After caulking install the window.

Next apply the flashing to the side jambs of the window so that it overlaps the edges of the sill and extends down past it by 1 inch and extends past the window head by 2 inches.

To direct water out beyond the top of the opening. Extend the header flashing piece past the jambs by at least 1 inch. If the window has a drip cap, have it installed beforehand so that the flashing can cover it.

After installing the header flashing, fold the house wrap flap back over, taping it down so that the house wrap material overlaps the header flashing.
Before peel-and-stick flashing was available, the typical method of weatherproofing windows was to use contractors' caulk around the sill, header and jambs of the window opening. Although this creates a seal between the window and the frame, this is not the best way! While caulking is important, you can't rely on caulk to keep water from getting in.

Over time, as caulk deteriorates and the window frame expands and contracts, it will separate from the wall. This allows water to seep in, causing damage to the wood frame in the summer and ice buildup in the winter.

Flashing windows with a peel-and-stick flashing is a better way. It will provide a smooth drainage plane and a better seal against water, and it will reduce the chance of rot and warping over time.

Please remember, if you use a peel-and-stick flashing, always allow for the window opening to be over-framed in its measurements by 1/4" in each direction. This will accommodate the additional flashing material and give the window a tight seal. "

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:05 AM

Wow,those photos are scary. Its kinda hard to believe there coating highrises in this stuff. if one burns completly up and (heaven forbid) theres a loss of life or property......

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Well this could be good news for the anti-pomo crowd, as this was the cheapest way to make a building look like it was stone and give it lots of detailing.
But it probably means we'll just get a lot more painted concrete instead.
EFIS is already illegal in Chicago, for these reasons. Its a cheap, shitty, and potentially dangerous material.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering