HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:46 PM
Kid Dynamic!

P.S. Freeweed- It's still snowing in my part of Calgary and piling up big. But I'm glad I "missed the worst of the snow".

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 3:28 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
P.S. Freeweed- It's still snowing in my part of Calgary and piling up big. But I'm glad I "missed the worst of the snow".
Don't worry, we're catching up now. Shoveled all last evening and woke up back to square one. They're now saying ANOTHER 15cm by tomorrow. Oh, and if it makes the rest of the country feel better, lows of between -21 and -26 are now being forecast.

We're really paying for fall this time.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:28 PM
Kid Dynamic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Don't worry, we're catching up now. Shoveled all last evening and woke up back to square one. They're now saying ANOTHER 15cm by tomorrow. Oh, and if it makes the rest of the country feel better, lows of between -21 and -26 are now being forecast.

We're really paying for fall this time.
If you're not too tired after you shovel your place again later tonight, feel free to come by my place while I'm down at the dome watching the Flames get their ass whooped.

I have hit the shovel a half a dozen times already in the past couple days and surprise.......it's still snowing.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:32 PM

9 with mostly sun.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:36 PM
Community Guy

-11 and now snowing lightly.

Quite pretty

I honestly do not know how people commute, by car, in winter though. This weather reminds me just how much I would not give up my 3 block walk.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:41 PM
HVAC guru

^ Yeah... no. Days like today make me miss my car commute.

Going to Vancouver makes me grateful for my 10 minute walk and 5 minute train ride to work. Edmonton winter, not so much.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Car commuting is much warmer than standing around waiting for a bus or train, and much cleaner than walking outdoors in the muck. I think I could easily tolerate a 3 block walk though.

Unbelievable how much snow continues to fall in Calgary. And there's no chinook in sight. This may end up being a repeat of last winter, where the snow stuck around for months.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 8:10 PM
Community Guy

I honestly would need a pretty amazing job to make me get into a car again each day, LRT i would do, but walking and being close to work is the best thing next to sliced bread.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 8:10 PM
HVAC guru

I don't miss the commute to Red Deer every other day, especially on days like today

Don't get me wrong, I love that I can leave my front door and be at my office in < 15 min without starting a car. I could pay the $200/ mo and park in our complex but I am cheap and trying to be more environmentally friendy... And really from my house to downtown is less than 3k so driving is pretty stupid. If it wasn't so convenient to walk and LRT it I would drive.... but then again the whole reason to buying a house in Parkdale was to be close to the LRt and downtown so really that's a moot point for me.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I honestly do not know how people commute, by car, in winter though. This weather reminds me just how much I would not give up my 3 block walk.
Couldn't agree more. My walk is 8 blocks, and I was one of the only ones in my office on time this morning. Some people took 3 HOURS to get in this morning.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 3:44 AM
Identity Condiment

Quote:
This may end up being a repeat of last winter, where the snow stuck around for months.
The audacity!

Going down to -1,835 tonight, and tomorrow won't go near zero, but it will "warm up" after that.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:36 AM

Don't miss my weekly commute down to Calgary. But hey I do like driving and I do enjoy winter drives.

And Cold not driving you miss see two deer shagging in the middle of the highway.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:29 AM
Go Preds!

Vancouver might see more snow than us this week...

Quote:
While the bulk of the snow is likely to pass to the north of Ottawa and Montreal late Friday into Saturday, a quick burst or two of snow and snow showers can create slippery conditions.

Plunging cold air and lingering moisture in the wake of the storm may bring accumulating snow to Vancouver, B.C., Friday night.
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...cross-sout.asp

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:22 AM
Go Preds!

It was raining pretty hard today but it's mild... 11C

It was already 9C this morning.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:27 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I think everyone is settling in to the conditions here. Sure, it's -13 and we're seeing lows into the -20s, and we have near-continual snow, and the roads are complete garbage... but everyone is starting to take it in stride. It's going to feel like a re-awakening once the mercury climbs above freezing and the sun comes out.

It's funny how that first day feels like your face is about to fall off and you can hardly breathe (the temperature dropped nearly 30 degrees over a span of 2 days), but after a couple of days, it's "meh".

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 3:26 PM
Kid Dynamic!

^^Update from S.W. Calgary..........now day 3 of non stop snow!! I'm not even sure where I can put anymore now as I've filled up my regular snow piling areas around my house. May be opening my own ski hill in the backyard this weekend.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:16 PM
HVAC guru

We've had a good run in Edmonton but winter has finally arrived

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:36 PM
Identity Condiment

Quote:
It's funny how that first day feels like your face is about to fall off and you can hardly breathe (the temperature dropped nearly 30 degrees over a span of 2 days), but after a couple of days, it's "meh".
For me, it is just the first half hour or so that is difficult, after that it is very comfortable. It's currently -7 with a windchill of -12, but it feels much warmer than that after being outside for over an hour.

I'm inside now, though. Inside has food.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:53 PM

wish i could tell you what the weather was here today. but i cant really do that because it keeps changing. it was 9 degrees this morning and has dropped to 6 now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:36 PM

9 degrees drizzle/rain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada