HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:24 AM

It was only a matter of time. That place was horrific. Terrible food, terrible drinks, terrible service.

It's a double unit, not sure Gong Cha would need that much space.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:57 AM

I would love for Across The Board to open a second location and really do it right. The idea of a board game cafe wasn't a bad one but the ambience and execution were just terrible.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:24 AM

^ Is Gong Cha open yet?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:37 PM

I spend zero time in the Village, however i was dropping off & picking up a group of teenage girls at Baked Expectations last night and used the former Osborne Inn parking lot to turn around. What a complete eyesore the building and the rear parking lot are. absolutely junk hole. i was shocked to see so much garbage and war like parking lot back there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:35 PM

Apparently After Dark is being replaced by Poutine King.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I spend zero time in the Village, however i was dropping off & picking up a group of teenage girls at Baked Expectations last night and used the former Osborne Inn parking lot to turn around. What a complete eyesore the building and the rear parking lot are. absolutely junk hole. i was shocked to see so much garbage and war like parking lot back there.
Another example of good property bought by sketchy owners, which seems to be a prominent thing around town, witness St. Charles and the Albert.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 12:43 PM

the former "Handi Transit / Transit Customer service" building has been demolished. getting ready for the condos that were talked about last year on this thread.

and some type of "dance clothes" company opened up next to Cheman Ice Cream

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the former "Handi Transit / Transit Customer service" building has been demolished. getting ready for the condos that were talked about last year on this thread.
Do you mean the former Fort Rouge Glass location? Or did they demolish another building in addition to that?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:45 PM

The site across the street from the new Banana Boat steel shed?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:03 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^7 Storey residential building. It has been on here before. I can’t recall if condo or rental. Great project for the area.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:35 PM

Is everyone talking about the same project? Fort Rouge Glass (380 Osborne, just north of Chaeban) has been demo'd for the seven-storey condo that's been discussed here.

This was originally going to look like this:

But they've switched the colours so it's now going to be a white building with red and blue balconies 😬

Now... the Transit/Handi-Transit offices, 414 Osborne... this building...

I had not heard anything about it being torn down or any development plans for that site. There was an RFP last year from the city for upgrades and improvements to the building entrance. So I'd be surprised if it was being torn down..

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 6:09 PM

^ I don't remember the revised version of that South Osborne project... it looks like something you'd expect to see in San Juan, maybe.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 7:07 PM

Has there been some sort of liquidation clearance sale on white cladding for the past couple years or what?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't remember the revised version of that South Osborne project... it looks like something you'd expect to see in San Juan, maybe.
It looks like they were inspired by the RT station/tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Has there been some sort of liquidation clearance sale on white cladding for the past couple years or what?
Yes and dark grey paint.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:21 PM

^ Now that you mention it, it looks like they took some design inspiration from the RT infrastructure and the new transit garage...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Do you mean the former Fort Rouge Glass location? Or did they demolish another building in addition to that?
wow, never had my afternoon coffee, i knew it was dangerous for me to be on the road. YES i mean the Fort Rouge Glass building

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:10 AM

180 Roslyn

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:34 PM

While I've long been a defender of the budget, meaning that we can't expect all projects to be perfect, that osborne design is among the worst I've seen in my life... both versions. Plucked straight from the 70s. What podunk firm designed that?

As for Roslyn, don't us gree. It's a commercial colour, not a residential colour. it feels like mid-tier work, not home.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 8:06 PM

The McMillan - Condominiums

Address: 958 McMillan Avenue, Winnipeg, MB https://www.google.ca/maps/place/958...7!4d-97.163765
Developer: Ventura Developments http://www.ventura.mb.ca/developments/
Construction Contractor:
https://www.westlandconstructionltd....tails.php?id=3

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...472674153.html
Quote:
McMillan House marches on
Buyer interest strong for unique condo complex ready to break ground
By: Ryan Thorpe Posted: 02/5/2018

After a battle with a city community committee, a local development company is set to break ground on a new luxury condominium complex in Crescentwood next month.

The building is a 12-unit, four-storey, high-end complex, set to go up on vacant property at the corner of Harrow Street and McMillan Avenue.

Breaking ground on the project was more difficult than expected for Winnipeg’s Ventura Developments.

Despite city planners giving the project their blessing, the infill development was opposed by area councillor, John Orlikow (River Heights — Fort Garry).

In November 2016, a city community committee, of which Orlikow was a member, rejected the proposed project.

Opposition to the plan confused not only Ventura, but also Coun. Janice Lukes and Mike Moore, then-president of the Manitoba Home Builders’ Association — both told the Free Press at the time they were surprised by the decision.

"Our original application was denied, but we appealed the decision through the city’s processes. Council’s decision, which I believe was 11 positive votes for the project, really showed council’s support for infill development," said Tim Comack, Ventura’s vice-president of development.

Now that the project has been given the green light, Comack says interest has been strong, with five units — all of which are customizable — already sold.

One buyer went so far as to have two units converted into a larger single unit, driving the sale price north of $1 million.

Comack believes that not only is the development unique in terms of the condo projects underway in Winnipeg, but also that their project — named McMillan House — will be a positive addition to the neighbourhood and the city.

"The two homes that were there, that were demolished, were dilapidated. Both got demolition orders from the City of Winnipeg. They were in horrible shape, vacant, unused. I believe one had plywood over the windows," Comack said.

"Now, we’ll be constructing a much larger building in its place. It’s driving up the assessed value... and will generate far greater taxes for the city. You probably had less than half a million in assessed value, and when we’re done, you’ll have close to $7 million."

Ideally, before breaking ground on construction, Ventura would like to see 50 per cent of the units sold.

However, given the interest they’ve seen, they’re confident in moving forward with construction even if they don’t hit the 50 per cent mark before March.

"We’re very confident these things will sell. In my opinion, it’s the next Wellington Crescent (condos)," Comack said.

"We believe that with the high-quality specs this building has, it offers a niche not currently available in the Winnipeg market. I believe this is the highest quality new construction building in the city this year."

Construction is expected to take eight to 10 months. The 12 units will be two-bedroom, two-bathroom condos. The building will also feature private balconies, an elevator and indoor, heated parking.

Every buyer will also get, at no cost, a three hour sit-down with a professional interior designer to go over how they’d like their unit to look.

The building will predominantly be geared for baby boomers looking to downsize, in addition to young professionals.

There are no other buildings like McMillan House in the area, so the project fills a neighbourhood need, Comack said.

ryan.thorpe@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 9:31 PM

Mcmillan heights - luxury corydon village condominiums

4 LUXURY TOWHHOME CONDOMINIUMS
Address: 625 McMillan Avenue, Winnipeg, MB https://www.google.ca/maps/place/625...3!4d-97.149614
Developer: Queenston Developments Ltd. https://www.qdevelopments.ca/625-mcmillan
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...ctionId=455773

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan