HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:32 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Stamps D baby !!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:58 PM

^ Calgary with the traditional summertime domination

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:47 PM

As someone who attended last night's game, it had zero entertainment value and certainly will not sell any seats to a CFL game. I commented last night that I would have enjoyed a nap better than staying to the end of that yawner.

It also pointed to a serious problem with Trevor Harris who folds like a deck of cards when under any pressure whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:40 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
As someone who attended last night's game, it had zero entertainment value and certainly will not sell any seats to a CFL game. I commented last night that I would have enjoyed a nap better than staying to the end of that yawner.

It also pointed to a serious problem with Trevor Harris who folds like a deck of cards when under any pressure whatsoever.
Awful game. Too much of this so far this season.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 8:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post

The power of effective event marketing was on display however as at least two separate groups of friends posted pictures on Facebook *after the game* accompanied by stuff like "had an awesome time at the Redblacks game with my buddies!"

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 8:45 PM

^ It is certainly possible to have a good time at a dud game.... I've been to many a Bomber game (and for that matter, Jets games too) that turned out to be stinkers but still had a good time hanging out with buddies over a cold one.

Last edited by esquire; Jul 13, 2018 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:03 PM
Reason and Freedom

The Redblacks were atrocious. As a CFL fan, I found their performance both embarrassing and insulting. Did these guys even practice for this game? Just one first down during the entire first half? They didn’t seem remotely prepared to play a professional football game.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 10:12 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ We'll see how Collaros looks once he's back but watching Jennings you get that same feeling as when you try to light a campfire in a rainstorm... you try and try but after a while you start to know it just isn't going to happen. At least probably not in BC. On that note, I wonder if Jennings could use a change of scenery at this point in his career.
The Lions seem to have the worst coaching staff in the CFL, by far. I'd hesitate to judge any quarterback that plays in our system.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 10:53 PM

Does anyone know why the CFL schedules games so late? I'm a mid-twenty-something and having a game start at nine tonight and ten tomorrow? What's the point?

I understand that living in Ottawa means that a game at ten here would actually be seven in Vancouver, but still. I thought that the CFL was trying to appeal to a younger crowd?

I hope I don't sound like "the world revolves around me because I live in Ontario," but having a game start at ten in Ontario means you're missing out on a large crowd east of Winnipeg for the potential enjoyment of those west of Manitoba, but if it was moved up a couple hours then they could potentially draw millions of more eyes from Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes.

Am I way off base here? Is it about money made/league image from butts in seats versus money made from tv ads?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 10:55 PM
Community Guy

Off to Commonwealth shortly... with a giant storm coming in from the west... GO ESKS GO and Ludacris at half-time!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
The Redblacks were atrocious. As a CFL fan, I found their performance both embarrassing and insulting. Did these guys even practice for this game? Just one first down during the entire first half? They didn’t seem remotely prepared to play a professional football game.
To be honest, I think it sp and more to Calgary’s defense than Ottawa’s offense. Nonetheless, it is unacceptable regardless.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:52 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinwilcock View Post
Does anyone know why the CFL schedules games so late? I'm a mid-twenty-something and having a game start at nine tonight and ten tomorrow? What's the point?

I understand that living in Ottawa means that a game at ten here would actually be seven in Vancouver, but still. I thought that the CFL was trying to appeal to a younger crowd?

I hope I don't sound like "the world revolves around me because I live in Ontario," but having a game start at ten in Ontario means you're missing out on a large crowd east of Winnipeg for the potential enjoyment of those west of Manitoba, but if it was moved up a couple hours then they could potentially draw millions of more eyes from Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes.

Am I way off base here? Is it about money made/league image from butts in seats versus money made from tv ads?
The CFL is a gate-driven league. Always has been, probably always will be despite TV money creeping upward over the years.

Starting a game in Vancouver at 4:00 or 5:00 pm so the fans in Ontario can watch early in the evening is not going to go over well there... similar issue with Alberta games. Weekends are different, but on a weeknight that's hard to manage for those getting off work and heading to the stadium.

Look at it the other way: games in Ontario or Montreal that start at 7 on a weeknight are early for the viewers out west to watch live.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:41 PM

I read an article a few years back about the Lions complaing about the schedule as they were always getting Friday night games at 10 pm eastern because the league wanted double headers for FNF. The team said their preferred time was Saturday afternoons as it gave more opportunity for people from outside downtown to get to the game. If that's the case the league could kill two birds with one stone with gate attendance and tv viewership.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinwilcock View Post

I would say you are off base, but what you say is a dilemma, the same one that the IOC faces every quadrennial. From what I understand, there was some resentment at hockey games in Vancouver starting at 5pm to satisfy a Central Canadian audience.

You can't ask people on a Thursday or Friday out west to have early games just so Toronto can sit comfortably in their easy chairs.

I do see your point and believe me if they thought it was valid, it would be changed. There is no point that wouldn't be looked at under Ambrosie. He was even willing to entertain the idea of looking at getting rid of traditional cheerleaders. But the point has become somewhat moot as most teams are transitioning to co-ed cheer teams.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 5:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
I read an article a few years back about the Lions complaing about the schedule as they were always getting Friday night games at 10 pm eastern because the league wanted double headers for FNF. The team said their preferred time was Saturday afternoons as it gave more opportunity for people from outside downtown to get to the game. If that's the case the league could kill two birds with one stone with gate attendance and tv viewership.
This would make more sense. Also eases the complaints about ON/QC teams playing past their "normal" bedtimes in Vancouver.

It's tough to please everyone. Time zone challenges, 4 games per week so maximizing the nationwide TV audience is a constant concern, things like late fall weather spurring calls for an earlier start to the season, eastern teams wanting to avoid clashing with the weekend cottagers, etc.

Labour Day generates debate over start times too. Some love 1 pm games, but in the east that means western fans are watching a game in the morning or mid-day, and start them in the evening and some complain it's too late to attend. Personally I like 4 o'clock for the LDC but they've been doing evenings for the Hamilton game the past few years.

If a Maritimes team does happen, that will add to the scheduling intrigue.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:15 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Not great, but TV viewership is declining across the board.

I wonder what the figures would be if the games were on CTV. It might be worth TSN's while to simulcast one game a week on CTV (maybe after there are 10 teams and 5 games a week) and use that to promote the TSN games.
That's a great idea actually - would love to see that happen.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
This was the impression that I got being there live. It came off as poor effort and/or lack of preparation, rather than an outstanding Calgary performance, who used their back up quarterback for the entire second half. I know it has been horribly hot in Ottawa since the end of June but both teams had to deal with the heat and the humidity was low on Thursday evening so it was quite pleasant.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:10 PM

^ Harris has been brutal for the entire season. His stats aren't bad but they are bolstered by the 2 wins one of which was against Montreal and the other Saskatchewan was horrible in the Carter corner back side show. Both losses against the Stamps were very winnable games IMO, but in both cases Harris wasn't even remotely close with accuracy, his long game is non-existent.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:21 PM

Nice to see the Lions down 17 nothing to Winnipeg come back to win and pay back that terrible loss week last weekend.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Nice to see the Lions down 17 nothing to Winnipeg come back to win and pay back that terrible loss week last weekend.
Ugh. Bombers exposed once again. I don't know what to say in response to that debacle... it totally undermines any good feelings I've had from the Bombers' positive performances this season.

I'm starting to wonder if this team will ever win it all with O'Shea as coach.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada