HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 2:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hunter Street micro-lofts and density on the Peninsula

I thought this project was pretty interesting because it relates to some discussion that has appeared in this forum: http://www.densecity.ca/

Specifically, the question of what to do with stable neighbourhoods of single-family dwellings comes up. I think this, combined with larger-scale development on empty lots, is a great approach.

There's a related site with blog and some restoration projects: http://urbanrenewable.com/

The page also has this map of population density in Halifax:

This is much more meaningful than a census tract density map where industrial areas and parks are merged in with developed residential blocks. It looks like university residences aren't counted though (they are pretty significant -- Dal alone has over 2,000 rooms for students). It would be interesting to see a map incorporating the full student population as well as employment density.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 12:00 PM
opinionated so and so

That's my map! Well, my friend Zack did it for me before the election for a Pecha Kucha - he and I put it out there for public use - here is the full set - http://wayemason.ca/maps/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:27 PM

I really like the restoration site; shows what can be done with old buildings that are 'too far gone to save'.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:10 PM

The restorations are indeed awesome, and the map hints at what I suspected: The city's densest areas are, with the exception of a few towers elsewhere, often highrise-free census tracts full of modestly sized single-family or rowhousing. (Including the ever-controversial Schmidtville.)

Redeveloping these areas doesn't make nearly as much sense as targeting the more lightly shaded areas, where redevelopment would A: Produce a lot more bang for the buck, density-wise, B: Preserve more historical housing stock and streetscapes, and C: Require less property acquisition, resulting in less disruption to the population, and fewer costs to developers.

Of course there's still room for more central redevelopment in the dark-blue areas, but a gentler hand is required there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 1:45 AM

I can't find that map on the site. The design is a bit too designer-y to be useful.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:24 AM

Is anyone else noticing that Park Vic, one of the densest buildings in Halifax, is showing up as <5 ppl / hectare?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:06 AM

I noticed that there were no people living in Park Vic. There are no people living at the Vic either.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Is anyone else noticing that Park Vic, one of the densest buildings in Halifax, is showing up as <5 ppl / hectare?
Actually if I read the map legend correctly; Park Vic is designated Industrial. As is The Vic...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues