HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:27 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
wish the city would figure out what to do with century plaza and the soon-to-be vacant trinity... both close to my neighborhood.
Considering the trend of development in areas of JeffCo with more stable population growth, I don't think the soon-to-be vacant Trinity site will remain vacant for long. Sadly, I'm not all that familiar with where Centure Plaza is.

EDIT:

ALSO, here is the most recently updated list, so that we don't have to go back and forth between pages.

So far, under the recently completed:

Westin Birmingham
Regions Field
29 Seven Apartments in Lakeview
and I will add the Ben Russell hospital the next time I work on it

Under construction/to be completed:

Uptown
I-22/I-65 interchange
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International
Red Mountain Park
Riverchase Galleria renovation
Sloss Furnaces Visitor Center
Iron City Music Hall
Birmingham School of Law

Approved/Planned:

Thomas Jefferson Tower renovation
Financial Center renovation
Pizitz Renovation
Stonewall Building renovation
Booker T. Washington Building renovation
Parkside Apartments
3rd Ave S/16th St S Apartments
The Stockyard @ Railroad Park
5 Points S
2nd Ave N
UAB Arts Center
UAB Student Center
20/59 Downtown Viaduct
University Flats
Lane Park - Mtn. Brook
Downtown Inter-modal Facility
Birmingham VA
Birmingham Public Safety HQs
Grandview Medical Center

Proposed:

Firestone Building
Rumored large apartment project in Parkside

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Aug 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 3:46 AM
Burming Hammer

century plaza is a vacant mall on crestwood boulevard, at the oporto-madrid intersection. right off 20/59.

unfortunately large buildings like that and trinity are hard to repurpose... they're such specific building types. and they're HUGE.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 3:50 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Either way, I've got my work cut out for me if I'm to include all of these projects.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:04 PM
The Salty Ham

Carraway is empty too. If the city doesnt turn it into the police and fire headquarters I doubt theres any other use for the structure. It is probably too high up for the dome to go there.

and I think we should let the discussion thread die and just keep this one up

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:16 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
and I think we should let the discussion thread die and just keep this one up
Agreed. I find myself sometimes debating whether I should post something in the discussion or development thread. Pointless, really...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:27 PM
Burming Hammer

there's a discussion thread?? lol j/k

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:44 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, if y'all want to know what my draft is looking like, just PM me; I'll only send the protoype to those who actively post in the Birmingham Dev. Thread.

Once I send it to you, you can just "preview" it in a reply on the forum (just don't officially post it).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 7:06 AM

Wow, sounds like there's a lot going on!

I haven't been over since Feb., I miss BHM. Miss all my friends at my former company, too. Life goes on....

quattordici, just curious - is the Riverchase reno you listed for the new Von Maur?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 7:16 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Wow, sounds like there's a lot going on!

I haven't been over since Feb., I miss BHM. Miss all my friends at my former company, too. Life goes on....

quattordici, just curious - is the Riverchase reno you listed for the new Von Maur?
It's the entire mall. Adding staircases here, removing an elevator there, they're putting in some more decorative lighting along the skylight among other things. It's been a month or so since I've been in and those were the only things I REALLY noticed. With Von Maur, aside from the renovation of the anchor spot itself, they removed the elevators directly in front of the entrance to the store from the food court to improve visibility of the storefront. They also sent the carousel to San Francisco to be renovated.

I know there're other things that were a part of it, they just don't come to mind quickly. If I'm not mistaken, Forever 21 is moving into a larger location in the mall; if not them, someone else.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
It's the entire mall. Adding staircases here, removing an elevator there, they're putting in some more decorative lighting along the skylight among other things. It's been a month or so since I've been in and those were the only things I REALLY noticed. With Von Maur, aside from the renovation of the anchor spot itself, they removed the elevators directly in front of the entrance to the store from the food court to improve visibility of the storefront. They also sent the carousel to San Francisco to be renovated.

I know there're other things that were a part of it, they just don't come to mind quickly. If I'm not mistaken, Forever 21 is moving into a larger location in the mall; if not them, someone else.
Interesting - I haven't been there since November, and they hadn't started any of this yet!

As far as Von Maur, I think people will like them. The two over here are beautiful, and they seem to be very Parisian-like in just about every way.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Interesting - I haven't been there since November, and they hadn't started any of this yet!

As far as Von Maur, I think people will like them. The two over here are beautiful, and they seem to be very Parisian-like in just about every way.
If it's anything like Parisian it should be popular. The quality of clothing retail in Alabama really dipped down with Belk's devouring of Parisian.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 6:59 PM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, what do y'all think would be an appropriate title for the City Compilation? I was thinking "BIRMINGHAM, AL l Urban Renaissance and Construction".

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 9:11 PM
Burming Hammer

"urban renaissance" might be a little over the top lol. but if you're doing all the work, you should get to name it!

i'd love to see what it looks like so far. just wish more of these projects had pictures. hopefully we can fill in later.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 9:15 PM
Burming Hammer

got your link quattordici... holy cow! looks impressive.

thanks for doing all that work.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
If it's anything like Parisian it should be popular. The quality of clothing retail in Alabama really dipped down with Belk's devouring of Parisian.
Oh, yeah - it is very much so. There's a lot to like. Wonderful customer service, free gift wrap AND free shipping. It's a Midwestern family owned business, not a national mega-chain. They also have live piano music in the escalator atriums. Very classy overall.

And the Belk takeover is a pretty sore subject with me. I still can't believe they took over the former Parisian at Phipps, which was a fantastic store.

I'm hardly able to afford shopping at these places very often, but still. I predict that Birmingham will totally embrace them.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:46 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, yeah - it is very much so. There's a lot to like. Wonderful customer service, free gift wrap AND free shipping. It's a Midwestern family owned business, not a national mega-chain. They also have live piano music in the escalator atriums. Very classy overall.

And the Belk takeover is a pretty sore subject with me. I still can't believe they took over the former Parisian at Phipps, which was a fantastic store.

I'm hardly able to afford shopping at these places very often, but still. I predict that Birmingham will totally embrace them.
Yea, from what you're telling me, it'll be just like Parisian. Kinda sad that the fact that Birmingham is getting a retailer that could reasonably be compared to Parisian when the entire state used to be blanketed in them.

Growing up in Decatur, we had great shopping options and there was no reason to go to Huntsville. With Belk's acquisition of Parisian, it is no longer true.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:52 PM
Burming Hammer

it's like someone read our mind about the city compilation post...

http://www.shanwalt.com/download_file/view/480/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:55 PM
Burming Hammer

seriously, that PDF i just linked is AWESOME!

tons of stuff i had forgotten about...

definitely need to highlight the lightrails installation and the lyric in your post!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:06 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Wow, that is one nice compilation. Haha, I wish I could just copy and paste the entire thing.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:13 PM
The Salty Ham

I dont think renaissance is too strong. In all my life I have never seen or heard this much attention given to the city and actually carried out. We are still at the tip of the iceberg I think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast