HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 1:57 PM
ARTchitecture

Centre Square Place | Regina | 11 floors | 36 meters | Completed

Important projects need their own threads... no one else is doing it so I will

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 2:36 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 2:52 PM
arf

^I think so, at least in recent history. There's been conversions of office into condominiums and maybe we could call The Motherwell Building's addition of four stories on top and conversion into condos as sort of being built. Roberts Plaza might have been the last highrise residential building built in the city. Can anyone verify that?

Exciting times if even two of the three approved proposals (Capital Pointe, Centre Square Place, and Gardens on Rose) actually get above ground.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 2:53 PM

I think it is the first condo development over 10 stories since Broadway Terrace which wasn't that long ago. But it was more of a retirement condo complex and this is a full on residential condo project. Walked by the site this morning, lot's of activity with digging and workers all around.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 2:59 PM
ARTchitecture

So if there is digging, doesnt that mean it's U/C ?

Or maybe its just soil testing and not actual excavation?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 3:05 PM
#1 King Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So if there is digging, doesnt that mean it's U/C ?

Or maybe its just soil testing and not actual excavation?
The heavy equipment was digging like mad yesterday. Tried to snap a pic with my cell phone driving by. It didn't turn out. Fail.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 3:13 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh crap, I guess I'll have to get one of the moderators to change the name of this thread to U/C

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 3:23 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azraeyl View Post
I think it is the first condo development over 10 stories since Broadway Terrace which wasn't that long ago. But it was more of a retirement condo complex and this is a full on residential condo project. Walked by the site this morning, lot's of activity with digging and workers all around.
I totally forgot Broadway Terrace. It will be nice to see a residential crane up in the springtime. Crosses fingers.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I think so, at least in recent history. There's been conversions of office into condominiums and maybe we could call The Motherwell Building's addition of four stories on top and conversion into condos as sort of being built. Roberts Plaza might have been the last highrise residential building built in the city. Can anyone verify that?

Exciting times if even two of the three approved proposals (Capital Pointe, Centre Square Place, and Gardens on Rose) actually get above ground.
Roberts Plaza http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=23725 is actually 40 years old. I can think of Centre Pointe Plaza http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=15729, Trianon Tower http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=15665 and the Cornwall Centre Seniors highrise http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=15638 that are all newer. (1980s).

Also the Uof R twin residences

Last edited by Stormer; Jan 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:46 PM
arf

^Thanks for the information. Apologies, I should have said condo like the original post asked. It certainly illustrates how long it's been since a newly constructed highrise condominium was available for purchase. Seniors, residences, and a rental building are all that's been built in the last forty years for highrise residential?

Does anyone know when Centre Point was built? I can't find it anywhere and I want to know.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:58 PM

I'll try and snap some pics when I walk home from work today.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:10 PM

Quote:
^Thanks for the information. Apologies, I should have said condo like the original post asked. It certainly illustrates how long it's been since a newly constructed highrise condominium was available for purchase. Seniors, residences, and a rental building are all that's been built in the last forty years for highrise residential?

Does anyone know when Centre Point was built? I can't find it anywhere and I want to know.
1978 according to the City assessment page. I recall it going up in about 3 months - 19 floors. It was all prefab, exposed aggregate. That was the rage in that era. Yuck. Here is the original brochure from WDM:

http://www.wdmprairiegamble.com/stor...NIESNER+Family

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 7:49 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I think it is safe to say CSP is officially U/C . http://www.flickr.com/photos/centresquareplace/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 9:24 PM
arf

The general rule is not until foundation pouring is it deemed under construction. I'd place this in the Site Preparation category right now.

Proposed -> Approved -> Site Preparation -> Construction -> Topped Out

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:

I'm damn sure that Robert's Plaza was built in 1972.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
1978 according to the City assessment page. I recall it going up in about 3 months - 19 floors. It was all prefab, exposed aggregate. That was the rage in that era. Yuck. Here is the original brochure from WDM:

http://www.wdmprairiegamble.com/stor...NIESNER+Family
Centre Point was built in 1978-79. I was the first tenant on the 18th floor when I moved on on October 1st 1979. They finished the suites on floors 2-10 first and then 11-19. It is one of, if not THE ugliest, hi-rises in Regina. I am not a fan of pre-fab concrete buildings from that era. Con-Force built a lot of pre-fabs in Regina during the 70's and 80's including City Hall and South Broad Plaza to name two. At least City Hall doesn't look too bad with its white quartz aggregate.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:19 AM

It's safe to say they made their contribution to the skyline we all know and love. They may not be the most attractive buildings, but I'm sure there was a cost-effective aspect to it, and it adds some variety to the view.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:42 PM
#1 King Champ

Here is my drive by photo Jan 4, 2012 at 430pm.

IMG-20120104-00455 by cutterp, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:55 PM

They are definiitely not excavating yet. They have just leveled the entire site. I assume they have to first pile drive the shoring beams into the perimeter. I forgot to look whether the big elm (which belongs to the City) is still there.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 9:18 PM
Canadian Urbanite

The first post in all of these threads should contain renderings, site plan, details, etc of the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan