HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ you could use some sort of a timed parking pass for residents. Valid only between say 6pm and 9am every day. Whether or not it was abused, people gotta park somewhere.
Yes, a resident only solution is a possible solution limiting the time.

Reg: people have to park somewhere whether it's abused or not I disagree. I can get a 25$ pass and forgoe paying for a parking spot in let's say my condo/apt. which would cost a fortune? for only 25$ for a year?

I wouldn't pay for a spot in a "parkade" or my "residential parking lot" if I can have unlimited 24/7 parking for nothing?(well 25 bucks) I rather have a parking pass than pay for a spot at my actual residence.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:04 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Yes, a resident only solution is a possible solution limiting the time.

Reg: people have to park somewhere whether it's abused or not I disagree. I can get a 25$ pass and forgoe paying for a parking spot in let's say my condo/apt. which would cost a fortune? for only 25$ for a year?

I wouldn't pay for a spot in a "parkade" or my "residential parking lot" if I can have unlimited 24/7 parking for nothing?(well 25 bucks) I rather have a parking pass than pay for a spot at my actual residence.
Well maybe you need a zoned system where the annual price for the residential parking pass is tied into the market rate?

I know I need to pay $25 a year per vehicle just for the pleasure of parking a car on the street in front of my own house on a residential street. Most residential areas in the city require no pass at all.

Basically my opinion is that the city cannot have a double standard where certain people can buy parking passes and others cannot. Simply cancelling the program altogether is asinine IMHO.

Again, people gotta park somewhere, and playing hardball is not going to help convince anyone to move downtown - where the prices of condos essentially guarantee those who can afford it, will also come equipped with a vehicle of some sort.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Well maybe you need a zoned system where the annual price for the residential parking pass is tied into the market rate?

I know I need to pay $25 a year per vehicle just for the pleasure of parking a car on the street in front of my own house on a residential street. Most residential areas in the city require no pass at all.

Basically my opinion is that the city cannot have a double standard where certain people can buy parking passes and others cannot. Simply cancelling the program altogether is asinine IMHO.

Again, people gotta park somewhere, and playing hardball is not going to help convince anyone to move downtown - where the prices of condos essentially guarantee those who can afford it, will also come equipped with a vehicle of some sort.
Again a zoned solution is another possiblity.Most residential streets don't require a pass, again I agree, but I've lived in areas where the next street over is a high traffic area, live venues, bars, buisness etc. (Osborne,Corydon, + much time in the Exchange).It's impossible to park in areas where at this time thier are "No Parkades", never will be.

These areas are busy, both night and day, nothing like a side street in Tuxedo,very easy to park. Or River Heights, liked parking thier too.

So actually we do agree, as my 1st post mentioned, the program should not be shelved, but ammended, as I have used the current system to park/live in some of Winnipeg's highest density areas. I love it the way it was, they just changed 2 cars on one pass? Can you beleive it! I could use the pass to park 2 cars for 25$ for a year?

Hope a solution can be reached, as parking and this area are becoming another black eye on our city council and a problem in attracting people to live in the Exchange.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:33 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
I love it the way it was, they just changed 2 cars on one pass? Can you beleive it! I could use the pass to park 2 cars for 25$ for a year?
You think that's good - it used to be $25 for a pass usable on any car for as long as you lived at the house - basically $25 for lifetime parking pass!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
You think that's good - it used to be $25 for a pass usable on any car for as long as you lived at the house - basically $25 for lifetime parking pass!
That's crazy ! I've only used the system for about 4 years. That would have saved some serious coin! Wow.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 10:27 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Brian Timmerman, executive director of the Exchange District BIZ, said the shortage of parking is hurting area businesses.

"We found the streets on the east side of the Exchange were running at overcapacity and filled 100 per cent of the time from morning to midnight," Timmerman said.

"The chances were slim of you finding a spot on the street if you wanted to go to a business. Residents would leave a car on the street for a week and the spot would never become free."
Timmerman's quotes don't jive with a business owner in the East Exchange that I spoke with about this issue last week. Up until a year ago, the situation was really bad on the street his business is on, not because of residents with parking passes, but because of downtown office workers who would either buy a three-hour pass from the WPA, or pay for the meter all day. (Must be nice to have coffee breaks every two hours.)

The WPA cancelled the 3-hr. parking pass, and doubled meter rates, and the on-street parking situation has apparently vastly improved in the East Exchange.

Anyway, $25/year to park on-street in the Exchange is pretty crazy underpriced, but I don't think they shouldn't have totally gotten rid of the program; they should have just raised the price a whole lot.

I wrote an article for the Free Press about this, which should be published tomorrow (Sunday).

Last edited by rgalston; Sep 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 2:30 PM

^^ I enjoyed your articles perspective on the issues.
I quoted Timmerman in my earlier post just to underline the position that the parking passes, I think we both agree on this, are absurdly priced and should be raised or ammended in some way but again not removed.As you mentioned in your article below, some solutions have been already implemented and are having a positive impact on the situation.

Support Exchange residents, not their cars
Fixing the downtown parking problem will do more harm than good
By: Robert Galston
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...218259721.html

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 4:43 PM

Render for Envisioned Pump House Proposal
24 Storey Mixed Use Residential/Retail/Commercial Tower/East Exchange District |109 James Avenue

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...218635891.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:00 PM

If anyone is interested, this is what the rooftop terrace at the Ashdown Warehouse looks like. No furniture yet.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:45 PM

^^ Nice shots and view JDE, What's a roof top going for?

Sorry for this Cr...p .Picture..
Princess/Pacific - Loft Not a bad view..aprx: $1,150,Fully loaded

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
No furniture yet.
Next spring.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:33 AM

District Condos

District Condos' website speaks about developing a total of 7 buildings in the East Exchange.

110 James and 133 Market are complete. 132 James is under development and actually consists of 3 buildings. Does anyone know which other 2 buildings are under consideration for development? I'm guessing the pair between 133 Market and Lily, but would like to know for certain.

I realize further development is probably off the radar for a while at least until more units are sold in 110 and 132 James, but I'm just curious. Just trying to look into the crystal ball to envision what more will happen with warehouse conversions in East Exchange in the years to come.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 1:38 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ The are also planning a new 8 storey building for the SE corner of Lily and James pending sales of the already UC units.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 2:20 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
District Condos' website speaks about developing a total of 7 buildings in the East Exchange.

110 James and 133 Market are complete. 132 James is under development and actually consists of 3 buildings. Does anyone know which other 2 buildings are under consideration for development? I'm guessing the pair between 133 Market and Lily, but would like to know for certain.

I realize further development is probably off the radar for a while at least until more units are sold in 110 and 132 James, but I'm just curious. Just trying to look into the crystal ball to envision what more will happen with warehouse conversions in East Exchange in the years to come.
The other two buildings are the "139 Market" development. It consists of the two buildings on Market that currently house the Brick Fine Furnishings on the main floors.

These last two buildings are going ahead with construction drawings to ensure all subsidies, grants etc. can be retained - however they won't start construction until after the parking situation (i.e. parkade) on James has been settled.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 2:23 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ The are also planning a new 8 storey building for the SE corner of Lily and James pending sales of the already UC units.
From what I have heard, that project is dead.

That surface parking will be used for the 132 James Condos when they come online.

Even once the parkade has been finished (if that ever happens) I can't see Qualico letting go of that parking lot for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:

That surface parking will be used for the 132 James Condos when they come online.

Even once the parkade has been finished (if that ever happens) I can't see Qualico letting go of that parking lot for the foreseeable future.
To support that, they have punched windows into the west side of 132 James, so it would be difficult to add in a tall building next door without a large gap.

Same thing as was done to the old Brick's building on Lombard.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 2:32 PM
What could go wrong?

.....ahh, makes sense.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:05 PM

District Condos

The parking lot to the west of 132 James is quite large. I suppose they could put something up more towards the Lily side of the lot and leave large gap between this new building and 132 James, but for now it remains as much needed parking for their existing developments.

Interesting info on this lot and 139 Market nonetheless – thanks!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Is the 8 storey KNH/Northern Sky condo building still alive.......pending parking?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Is the 8 storey KNH/Northern Sky condo building still alive.......pending parking?
From what I understand, the cinder block building that sits on that lot is currently being fixed up to be used as indoor parking for the 128 James Loftwork development.

I suspect it's a "temporary" solution pending a permanent parking solution in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan