HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:52 PM

yea uptown if anything is highly diverse. any SFH is probably going for upwards of a million at this point.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yea uptown if anything is highly diverse. any SFH is probably going for upwards of a million at this point.
i found this monster 8 bedroom 7,500 SF mansion in sheridan park on zillow for only $790K.

but it sounds like it needs LOTS of work from the description. almost certainly a full-blown money-pit.

all of the other SFH's listed in uptown are north of $1M, including a gigantic 10,000 SF buena park mansion listed for $4M.

uptown is very income diverse with everything from half-way houses and section 8 highrises to $4M real-deal urban mansions.

however, it's important to remember that SFH's only make-up ~5% of uptown's total housing units, so there's a big demand spike on anything SFH because there just aren't that many of them to go around. the VAST majority of uptown residents do not live in million dollar homes.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:40 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes, the old building is handsome but the replacement is a very responsible, even generous addition to the neighborhood. It's only 17 stories, it steps down from The Parker and other tall buildings east of Halsted, it fills in multiple long-standing vacant lots, and it provides a new mid-block pedestrian connection from Halsted to Green Street, basically creating more street frontage next to the white-hot Randolph/Halsted corner.

Hey Related, maybe take a page out of Shapack's book here instead of pushing for 34 stories even further west?
Yes, the new one looks nice (in renderings at least), but if we required developers to preserve facades of buildings with character, they would do it since they are desperate to build. We shouldn't give away the candy store!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:56 AM
TL;DR

Yeah but in this case the historic building sits in the way of the planned pedestrian mews. Should it be packed up and re-assembled around the corner? That wouldn't be the first time developers have done something similar, but is the little 3-story brick really that significant? West Loop definitely has some gems, and some industrial buildings that are just funky and cool, but I'm not sure this qualifies.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:38 AM

Cabrini 6.26 by Chicagooan, on Flickr
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ini-green-sold
A 19th-century church near the former Cabrini-Green housing project is being sold to residential developers who will most likely demolish the building.
Dennis Rodkin
The swift sale is a sign of how magnetic the former Cabrini-Green location is as a redevelopment area since the notorious high-rises were demolished.

Built in 1889 as the First Swedish Baptist Church, the structure at 509 W. Elm St. has housed the Wayman African Methodist Episcopal congregation since 1920, eventually becoming virtually surrounded by the Chicago Housing Authority's Cabrini-Green towers.

The Chicago AME conference listed the church and its 2.72-acre site for sale late in the day on June 21, asking $3.25 million, and by June 23 had accepted one of the multiple offers that came in, said Angela Pettis, the Baird & Warner agent representing the property for the church leadership.

Pettis said she can't disclose the contract sale price, the identity of the buyers or specifics of their plan for the site before the deal closes, but said that demolishing the church is a near certainty.

"The value is all in the land," said Pettis, who has represented other property, both sanctuary buildings and empty land, for the AME council, which has about 20 churches in the Chicago area. A recent appraisal of Wayman AME determined that "the life of this building is gone," she said. "There's no sense in even trying to repair it" for a conversion to residential units or another use, she said.

The Rev. Thomas Hughes, supervising elder for 18 AME churches in the Chicago area as part of the seven-state Chicago AME Conference, said the final deal with the buyer may include creating some space for the church's congregation on the site. "That's what we're going to attempt to do," Hughes said. "We've been on that spot so long, we would like to stay in the neighborhood if it's possible." During the Cabrini-Green era, the congregation was 250 people or more, Hughes said. It has dwindled to about 100, he said.

The Wayman AME site is about one-fifth of a city block, stretching from Cleveland Avenue to Cambridge Avenue along Elm Street. It's not yet clear what building height zoning will allow on the site, because "everything happened so fast," Pettis said. She said the buyer intends to start that research with city agencies today. The sale is tentatively scheduled to close in late August, she said.

The congregation cannot afford to update and maintain the structure, Pettis said. She said they will search for a new site to locate the congregation.

For several decades, Wayman AME was a spiritual haven for African-American residents of Cabrini-Green, which was built in stages from the early 1940s through the early 1960s.

In the early 1990s, Wayman AME was part of the backdrop of one of Cabrini-Green's most horrific incidents: On October 13, 1992, bullets fired by a sniper from a building just north of the Wayman AME church rocketed past the building before killing seven-year-old Dantrell Davis, who was holding his mother's hand as he crossed Cleveland Avenue a short distance south of the church.

Davis was the third Jenner Elementary School student killed that year. His death was one of the events that galvanized the city's Plan for Transformation, which included tearing down the Cabrini-Green highrises, announced in the late 1990s. In 2017, the CHA declared it had met its goals.

In the intervening years, many of the blocks around Wayman AME have been transformed, with market-rate housing at Parkside of Old Town and other developments, a new facility for Jenner, which in the fall will complete a merger with high-performing Ogden Elementary, and Target, Jewel and other stores on Division Street.

The Wayman site, Pettis said, "is prime for (residential) development, with Jenner across the street" and the many other changes in the neighborhood.

While it has housed an AME congregation for just short of a century, the building has roots that reach back to 1853, when the First Swedish Baptist congregation was established in the neighborhood, which had several other Swedish churches and came to be known as Swedetown.

Their first church, near the present site, may have been destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. They completed the present church building in 1889; it's not clear if, in 1920, they transferred it to the AME church, or if there was another inhabitant between the two congregations.

As Italian immigrants replaced Swedes, the name Swedetown was displaced by Little Sicily in the decades before Cabrini-Green was built.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:35 AM
TL;DR

A shame. I always liked that building, it was such a nice relief from the literal acres of schlock surrounding it.

Doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult to convert to condo use, though. It’s already a pretty bulky building with a lot of interior volume and plenty of punched windows.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:22 PM
The City

Yup. Another church lost

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Massive amounts of social services, mainly. Drug rehab centers, transitional housing, Section 8 mid and high-rises, that kind of thing. I don't know why Uptown has such a massive concentration of such things, but it does (especially around, say, Montrose to Lawrence, basically between Clarendon and Sheridan.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Why, because of the former Six term Alderman Shiller made it her mission to put in as much Section 8, homeless shelters and such as possible since 1987.
Until she was voted out in 2011. She took every run down building in Uptown since 1987, and instead of having it be renovated, ensured by Consent Decree with the city that it would become low income housing, as that's who her voting base was.

When the Target store Wilson Yards development was built, she forced the city to pack in as much low income housing as possible, which eventually pissed off the tax paying residents of Uptown enough to boot her out of office. She also turned a blind eye to the crime issues in the neighborhood, and largely ignored the problem.

In the words of Mike Royko, " It(Uptown) also has a new alderman, Helen Shiller, and she has a vision of what that seedy old neighborhood should be in the future. And apparently her vision is that Uptown should remain a seedy old neighborhood."

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 8:25 PM

The proposed Union Station extension and Lynn Becker's twitter post exemplify the state of 'architecture' in Chicago right now. Worth a read!
union station 6.26 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 8:36 PM
All man. Half nuts.

to quote Dick Enberg, "oh, my."

I had the same reaction when I saw the renderings for the Soldier Field renovation in 2002, though it seems that design has slowly grown on (some) people.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:57 PM

RIP
7%2F3%2F18 1 by Chicagooan, on Flickr
7%2F3%2F18 2 by Chicagooan, on Flickr
6.28.18 1 by Chicagooan, on Flickr
6.28.18 2 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 6:31 PM
The City

^ That was demo'd? Damn!

I know churches are hard to repurpose, but a few have been converted to apartments/condos. I know that one is even being converted into a performance space for a dance troupe, I believe. This is quite a loss!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ That was demo'd? Damn!

I know churches are hard to repurpose, but a few have been converted to apartments/condos. I know that one is even being converted into a performance space for a dance troupe, I believe. This is quite a loss!
Yep, there are some modern condo buildings from Noah Properties (who do good work IMO) in it's place. The silver lining is the very handsome house immediately to the south of the church was given a full gut rehab about 2 years ago, and turned out great.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:24 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Yep, there are some modern condo buildings from Noah Properties (who do good work IMO) in it's place. The silver lining is the very handsome house immediately to the south of the church was given a full gut rehab about 2 years ago, and turned out great.
Not very reassuring. Those condo buildings are nothing compared to the majestic church that they replaced But at least it got filled in and isn't a vacant lot

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 6:36 AM

Yes, it’s pretty easy to repurpose a church as apartments or condos, and I’m surprised they were allowed to do that.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:07 PM

Sign Petition to Save Home from Demolition!

7.11 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

From Leyla Royal in the Forgotten Chicago page on Facebook, 1441 W Carmen:

Hi all! They're trying to tear down this beautiful house in my neighborhood. It's the only one of its kind in the area and is surrounded by two flats and courtyard apartment buildings.

I'm working to gather signatures from locals in Andersonville and Chicago who are in favor of preserving the structure. It's rated Orange by Preservation Chicago. I've been trying to find as much info as possible on the house as well, including architect and date it was built (Preservation Chicago says 1890s, tax assessor site says 1903, and I'll be looking for building permits on it later this week).

If you're in favor of preserving it, please sign, and if you have any info on the history of the house please let me know!

https://www.change.org/p/wfcw-block-...rom-demolition

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:29 AM

Another day.. another demo.
7.16 by Chicagooan, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:24 PM
The City

Hmmm I don’t know. Some of these recent ones don’t bug me too much.

If we’re talking about demos for denser structures, it kind of sucks that Chicago wasn’t going more vertical (residential) prior to 1930, and a lot of its “Manhattanization” is happening now, during the era of the car and the parking podium. Just think if we had denser prewar structures accommodating the demand for central area living, we would probably see fewer demolitions.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:11 PM
BANNED

Hopefully they're saving these bricks to be reused somewhere else.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Hmmm I don’t know. Some of these recent ones don’t bug me too much.

If we’re talking about demos for denser structures, it kind of sucks that Chicago wasn’t going more vertical (residential) prior to 1930, and a lot of its “Manhattanization” is happening now, during the era of the car and the parking podium. Just think if we had denser prewar structures accommodating the demand for central area living, we would probably see fewer demolitions.
uh, you do realize how many late 1800s/early 1900s era downtown skyscrapers have been torn down right

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions