HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 10:58 PM

Also, an interesting article about rain as a factor at Silverstone vs. CoTA:
http://www.theaustingrandprix.com/ne...l#.T_tifXBmG1w

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 8:45 AM
Meh

I know this isn't F1, but you have got to watch this. Make sure to watch it to the end.

Rally Car course set up on the streets of San Francisco.

Watch it at Youtube on full screen HD. Don't forget the sound.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 10:51 PM

between the helicopter, closed streets and camera equipment that video probably cost more to make than what my feature film will cost. those are some ridiculous crane shots. pretty wicked.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Not quite, but almost as sexy as Steve McQueen.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 8:41 AM
Meh

That guy is like a rock star in those videos. He kinda makes me wish I knew how to do that.

This mentions an air show would be appropriate for the F1 race in Austin. I just wonder how they'd coordinate that with ABIA being so close. An air show at COTA would put the performing planes almost directly in the flight path of planes landing at the airport. The COTA site is less than 3 miles south of ABIA and less than a mile east of the east runway.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...t-2414743.html
Quote:
City officials say they learned valuable lessons at British Grand Prix

By John Maher

Updated: 11:17 p.m. Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Published: 8:53 p.m. Tuesday, July 10, 2012

City officials on Tuesday called their recent trip to the British Grand Prix, criticized by some as a junket, worthwhile and valuable.

"I would call it due diligence on the part of the city," said Police Chief Art Acevedo, who held a press conference at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport shortly after stepping off a plane.

Mayor Lee Leffingwell, in a phone conversation, took it a step further, saying it would have been irresponsible for officials not to take the chance to see a Formula One race before Austin hosts its inaugural U.S. Grand Prix on Nov. 16-18.

Both Acevedo and Leffingwell said it was the first auto race of any kind that they had attended and both seemed impressed by the F1 race and an air show that was part of the entertainment at Silverstone, a track in the English countryside.

Leffingwell said an air show would be appropriate for Austin's race.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte..._say_f1_p.html
Quote:
City, county officials say F1 preparations are on the right track

By John Maher | Friday, July 13, 2012, 05:26 PM

Austin and Travis County officials said their preparations are on the right track for the city’s first Formula One Grand Prix in November.

“We prefer to be over-prepared rather than caught flat-footed,” Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said Friday. “I’m not worried about resources. I’m not worried about cost. People were really worried about not underestimating the size of the event.”

Acevedo was one of almost 20 city and county law enforcement and safety officials who held a media briefing at the Emergency Operation Center on Friday.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:22 PM
Meh

I got an email back from the architects. They told me the height of the observation tower will be 250 feet. The observation deck will be at 230 feet. So even at the observation deck, you'd be 3 feet higher than the control tower at ABIA.

He also told me that COTA wants any inquires about the project to go through them. He gave me the name and number of the media relations person at COTA. So if you have any questions about Circuit of the Americas, this person is the one to ask:

ALI PUTNAM
Media & Community Relations Manager
O 512.301.6600
M 214.478.8900
F 512.394.3851
www.circuitoftheamericas.com

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:34 PM

^^^ She's cute.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 8:37 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-2419344.html
Quote:
Circuit of the Americas buys 200 acres, plans road extension to ease traffic on race weekend

By John Maher

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 11:31 p.m. Thursday, July 19, 2012
Published: 7:48 p.m. Thursday, July 19, 2012

Circuit of the Americas has acquired more than 200 acres that could turn Kellam Road currently a road to nowhere into a vital artery for the circuit.

A circuit official said a planned improvement and 0.6-mile extension of the road could cut the drive time in half for vehicles using the northern route to and from the circuit for Austin's inaugural Formula One race Nov. 16-18.

Easing the amount of time race fans will spend coming and going to the track, 12 miles southeast of downtown Austin, could be crucial to the success of the race.

Shortly after the race was first announced more than two years ago, a Travis County official estimated traffic delays could run as long as 12 hours. Since then, projects to improve area roads, plus the Kellam Road extension — to be built by the circuit, and its $2 million to $4 million cost reimbursed by the county — have improved the traffic picture for race weekend.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:12 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...s-2419833.html
Quote:
F1 organizers reapply for state funds

By Dave Doolittle

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 11:23 p.m. Friday, July 20, 2012
Published: 9:34 p.m. Friday, July 20, 2012

A group affiliated with Circuit of the Americas has reapplied to state Comptroller Susan Combs' office to tap an economic development fund for a Formula One race scheduled for November.

The application, filed by the Circuit Events Local Organizing Committee on July 13, asks Combs to create a trust fund containing $30.6 million. It contains a revised economic impact study, letters from City of Austin officials and Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone, and other documents.

"We will review and analyze the request as required by the statute to estimate the incremental tax increase the event would generate," comptroller's office spokesman R.J. DeSilva said Friday. "Any money deposited in the fund would be used after the race occurs to reimburse expenses related to the event."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 8:21 AM

Is that the special event fund that got shot down before??

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 5:32 PM
Meh

The German Grand Prix is on Fox7 right now.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 12:56 PM

F1 girding for rash of copter traffic
Ben Wear
Austin American Statesman
July 23, 2012

Quote:
As many as a thousand Formula One fans will use helicopters to reach the Circuit of the Americas each day for November's inaugural Grand Prix event here, officials estimate, with each of them paying more than $500 for what is likely to be a brief trip to and from the track.

That unusual mode of travel for a Central Texas sporting event has required track organizers to bring on aviation partners familiar with handling reservations and scheduling for hundreds of helicopter flights during each of the three days of racing, and to work with city and federal officials on flight rules and routes for the copters.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:40 PM

Cota unveils ‘the tower amphtheater’

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/arti...er-amphtheater

There are some good pics of the current progress of the tower (maybe 7 floors so far?) on the Friends of Formula 1 Austin FB page (Turn1's page):
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7614878&type=3

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 9:29 PM
Meh

I know I already posted this, but the architects told me the tower will be 250 feet tall and have a 230 foot observation deck. Unless they paint the tower to be more noticeable, it's not going to be very visible from a distance.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Unless they paint the tower to be more noticeable, it's not going to be very visible from a distance.
They should use it to hang banners from. Like for different events and such. They could also hang white banners and use projectors for various events. It would be kinda cool.

Would probably just end up with a big Budweiser advertisement though. lol.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:37 AM

I'd assume being that close to the airport, they'd need to make sure it's pretty well lit. At least on top... but perhaps they can do something cool with that.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:15 AM
~Hook'em~

That just made me think of something. I wonder if they will have any problems with lighting and effects for the shows. Like you hear all those scary stories of how people blind the pilots with those pointers to the cockpits. I wonder if the lights for the shows will be a problem for them landing?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
That just made me think of something. I wonder if they will have any problems with lighting and effects for the shows. Like you hear all those scary stories of how people blind the pilots with those pointers to the cockpits. I wonder if the lights for the shows will be a problem for them landing?
It looks like the east runway is far enough to the northwest of the COTA that the approach from the south will not be over the track and probably not a distraction for the pilots. That being said, I used to go to Shea Stadium and flights into Laguardia flew directly over the stadium and the 1964 World's Fair with apparently no issues.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:46 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...y-2425051.html
Quote:
Circuit of the Americas seeks exception to city rules for two-day concert at Auditorium Shores

By Sarah Coppola

Updated: 10:36 p.m. Monday, July 30, 2012
Published: 10:31 p.m. Monday, July 30, 2012

Circuit of the Americas has asked the City of Austin to make an exception to city policy and allow a two-night music festival at Auditorium Shores during the Formula One race weekend.

"Austin Fan Fest" would be Nov. 16 and 17 and if approved would surpass the 25 days of events the city allows each year at the premier park space on the south shore of Lady Bird Lake, overlooking the downtown skyline.

Some worry the festival, held the same days as a popular Christmas bazaar at nearby Palmer Events Center, would cause traffic and parking snarls, further stress the heavily used Auditorium Shores and run past the city's normal curfew for events in city parks.

But Mayor Lee Leffingwell and City Council members Mike Martinez and Chris Riley have endorsed Circuit organizers' use of that parkland for Austin Fan Fest in a resolution the council will consider Thursday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin