HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
425 apartments coming to downtown Portland

A Chicago-based developer on Monday confirmed its plans for a high-end apartment building near Portland State University's campus.

Core Spaces LLC, which primarily builds student housing, announced Monday it's moving ahead with a 15-story, 425-unit building at Southwest Fourth Avenue and Harrison Street. The developer is in talks with a grocery store to occupy some of the building's retail space.

The site is owned by Portland's Goodman family, and it's operated as a parking lot by City Center Parking. (The family sold the parking operation to Canada-based Impark in 2013 but retained ownership of its downtown real estate.) The Goodmans' Downtown Development Group is a partner in the project.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 11:59 PM

Luxury? I thought this was going to be student housing.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:06 AM

Luxurious student housing

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 7:03 AM

Is there any amenity this developer doesn't offer to its residents?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 8:19 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
Luxurious student housing
Millionaire kids have to live someplace.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 4:27 PM

what student wouldn't want to live there for the free gangbang movies?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 10:33 PM

I just listened to the audio of the Design Advice hearing. Totally different to the previous three hearings. The Design Commission responded very positively to the changes, and spent most of the hearing discuss the finer details of the ground level. There were about 7 or 8 member of the public who turned up to speak, mostly in opposition. However it was notable that two people turned up to speak in favor of the project, despite having spoken in opposition to it at the previous hearings. The Halprin Conservancy also wrote a letter in support of the project.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 2:03 AM

Can't wait to watch this one go up! Gorgeous!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 7:10 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
what student wouldn't want to live there for the free gangbang movies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Millionaire kids have to live someplace.
Obviously those students need some downtime, folks!

image is from the Eugene HUB

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:22 AM

I work two blocks south of HUB's new location on 4th. Today I had an appointment near Pioneer Courthouse and I walked. On the way back I walked through the South Auditorium District pedestrian way - past 200 Market, Pettygrove Park, Lovejoy Park, etc. The new HUB will sit in this district which was obviously designed in another time. Towers which do not encourage street level activity. But, the entire pace of the city changes after you cross Market Street. The city becomes quiet, shaded in a canopy of trees. There are sounds of water an people without cars and hectic activity. I thought to myself today, who wouldn't want to live here? The new design is beautiful. I am sure that it will fill quickly and sure that the new grocery will succeed. Plus the views from this building will be beautiful with the new design. It will emphasize views of trees and nature with the setbacks from surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:23 AM

My post was not nearly as sexy as zilfondel's

:/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
I work two blocks south of HUB's new location on 4th. Today I had an appointment near Pioneer Courthouse and I walked. On the way back I walked through the South Auditorium District pedestrian way - past 200 Market, Pettygrove Park, Lovejoy Park, etc. The new HUB will sit in this district which was obviously designed in another time. Towers which do not encourage street level activity. But, the entire pace of the city changes after you cross Market Street. The city becomes quiet, shaded in a canopy of trees. There are sounds of water an people without cars and hectic activity. I thought to myself today, who wouldn't want to live here? The new design is beautiful. I am sure that it will fill quickly and sure that the new grocery will succeed. Plus the views from this building will be beautiful with the new design. It will emphasize views of trees and nature with the setbacks from surrounding buildings.
When I worked downtown I would walk to South Aud on a nice day to get away from things. I loved the tranquility. I know it's not politically correct to say so on this forum, but I like South Aud for what it is, and for what it isn't. I wouldn't want all of downtown to be like South Aud but it is a great contrast to the rest of the city. A relief, even.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:58 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
My post was not nearly as sexy as zilfondel's

:/
No, but much more informative and constructive. I was just being snarky and taking potshots at the developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
When I worked downtown I would walk to South Aud on a nice day to get away from things. I loved the tranquility. I know it's not politically correct to say so on this forum, but I like South Aud for what it is, and for what it isn't. I wouldn't want all of downtown to be like South Aud but it is a great contrast to the rest of the city. A relief, even.
I agree. One thing that irks me with the city's planning department is their neverending quest to bring all of Portland into the "Portland Block" 200' x 200' sizing, as if it somehow magically solves every problem in urban planning and design. It obviously doesn't, and as you note there is much to be experienced from a little variety. Ironically, South Auditorium is actually a carfree district, yet the city leaders seem to be allergic to the idea.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:16 PM

That area was way ahead of its time but made a few mistakes that limited its potential. Culturally I think we are catching up. The area does feel european. I think too many Americans "action" is equated with Car traffic in cities. It doesn't have to be this way. As we densify this area will be come more and more valued for its tranquility. Also the three parks that line this area are simple awesome. Especially the two fountains.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 7:32 PM

The 4th & Harrison apartment complex by Core Spaces has been submitted for Design Review:

Quote:
Design Review for new 15-story glass and metal panel building – grocery store at ground level and 14 stories of luxury residential apartments, above. 1 modification requested to reduce landscape area; 1 modification requested to replace landscaping with hardscape; 1 modification requested for the width of the oriel window; 1 adjustment requested to parking access & loading; 1 adjustment requested for # of parking stalls.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:05 AM

Request for Response [PDF]. Going before the Design Commission on December 4th.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 7:29 PM

Change.org petition against the building, oddly illustrated with a photo of a completely different building.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:33 PM
BANNED

When do they break ground on this?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 10:39 PM

Assuming it gets approved late this year or early next year, they'll then have around 6 months of building permit review. So... Q3 2016?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Change.org petition against the building, oddly illustrated with a photo of a completely different building.
These people baffle me. Scroll down to the comment section at the bottom. Pure comic gold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland