Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:35 PM
recession proof

Is Canada the new tower of babel?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My point is simply that the ethnic continuum in Europe is not a homogenous as some people seem to be suggesting. The French aren't all descendants of the Gauls, for example. Not even close...

Actually, one of my African friends grew up when his country of origin was still technically part of France. In school, they were taught about ''nos ancêtres gaulois'' (our gallic ancestors) as if it was something they were supposed to relate to. In a West African village.
Imperialism is obviously messed up, but within a nation Europe is a fairly strong continuum. For instance the vast majority of Italian genes have been in the country since the Roman Era. France was a bit more active, but most people's genes go back to the medieval era. Heck, for the Welsh they managed to avoid much influence from a major pre-Roman migration event that impacted the rest of the British Isles.

Then there's places like Southern India or the Caucasus.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My point is simply that the ethnic continuum in Europe is not a homogenous as some people seem to be suggesting. The French aren't all descendants of the Gauls, for example. Not even close...

Actually, one of my African friends grew up when his country of origin was still technically part of France. In school, they were taught about ''nos ancêtres gaulois'' (our gallic ancestors) as if it was something they were supposed to relate to. In a West African village.
I think more importantly if the french from the revolution met the modern day french people they'd be like who the fuck are they.

The repetitive crap in this thread is getting a bit much.

Societies change drastically over time.

Cultures are well known to copy exstenviely.

It's not even that long ago that a european identity was even thought possible.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada