HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 12:43 AM
TL;DR

The intensity and spread of the fire will depend on what is combusting. But yeah, fire codes are effed up.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 1:29 AM

Out of curiosity, how would the code compel one property owner to retrofit their building when the neighboring property is the one making changes? That seems tricky - not only are we taking away your views and lowering the value of these floors, but you have to fire-rate them too?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 6:04 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

More UNO charter:

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 12:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Out of curiosity, how would the code compel one property owner to retrofit their building when the neighboring property is the one making changes? That seems tricky - not only are we taking away your views and lowering the value of these floors, but you have to fire-rate them too?
I'm not entirely sure how the Chicago code works, or how it has worked historically. However, I believe that for the windows to even exist in the first place, there must have been some transfer of air rights from the Burberry parcel to the tower (in the form of an easement). Possibly in the original language of the easement, there was a provision for the Burberry parcel to expand upward.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not entirely sure how the Chicago code works, or how it has worked historically. However, I believe that for the windows to even exist in the first place, there must have been some transfer of air rights from the Burberry parcel to the tower (in the form of an easement). Possibly in the original language of the easement, there was a provision for the Burberry parcel to expand upward.
Putting a window on your side of the property line neither requires, nor grants any air rights. The Burberry project is completely within their rights to block the views from the other windows and to (as it is a commercial district with no side setbacks) build right to the property line including touching the wall of the Ontario property.
My guess would be that the Burberry project is paying to brick up the windows as a courtesy.

Last edited by PKDickman; Aug 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 4:00 PM
THAT Guy

Connors Park is getting an Argo Tea after all. Ald. Reilly announced that Argo will setup shop there in exchange for maintaining the park.

Now when do we get our Shake Shack?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 6:23 PM
TL;DR

I wish they put this thing along Chestnut instead of smack in the middle. It's also a little large, and will it even operate in the winter? It looks like a seasonal structure, since it is so open.

Will it replace the existing Argo Tea one block south? That's a big destination for Loyola students who study there... they're gonna be awfully pissed if there's no late-night coffee shop in winter.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I wish they put this thing along Chestnut instead of smack in the middle. It's also a little large, and will it even operate in the winter? It looks like a seasonal structure, since it is so open.

Will it replace the existing Argo Tea one block south? That's a big destination for Loyola students who study there... they're gonna be awfully pissed if there's no late-night coffee shop in winter.
I doubt it will replace the one in the Loyola building. This pavilion like structure looks smaller than the current store. And the current store is really hurting for space at the moment. They should have expanded into the Market 820 space while they still had the chance.

I hope those won't be polycarb sheets on the roof. Despite claims by manufacturers of their product not yellowing from sun exposure, they still yellow from not being cleaned....which you really can't. CTA canopies anyone?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:53 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/6899981-417/...hite-glow.html

City switching to street lamps that cast a white glow
BY DARRYL HOLLIDAY Staff Reporter
August 5, 2011

The yellow-orange street lamp glow Chicagoans have become accustomed to over the years is going the way of the "pretty blue lights" of Lake Shore Drive once commemorated in song.

The blue lights along Lake Shore Drive - mercury-vapor streetlamps used into the '70s - gave way to the yellow-orange lights currently used in most of the city, sodium-vapor street lamps. This week, however, the Chicago Department of Transportation announced it is installing new, energy efficient lighting on street lamps and traffic signals, which casts a white glow on city streets.

The new, metal-halide lights will use less energy than the current streetlamps. Chicago, according to CDOT officials, is the first large U.S. city to install the relatively new technology en masse. City officials estimate an annual $1.8 million in electrical cost savings ...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:38 PM

Quote:
That is the crux of the problem for me. The building occupies too much space, and is oriented in such a way that divides the rest of the park awkwardly.

Lynn Becker has a good write up on this development, and how it is being sold through with half-truths.

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2011/...tea-house.html

Last edited by jc5680; Aug 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

I was in New York a week ago, there was a line a block long to get in. Would love for us to get one here!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
I was in New York a week ago, there was a line a block long to get in. Would love for us to get one here!
Just yesterday I was thinking about the fact I'll be giving up Shake Shack here in DC when the time comes that I can return to Chicago. Best burgers ever!

I'd like to see one on Broadway in Lakeview, one somewhere in the Mag Mile/Rush area, and a couple down in the Loop.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:07 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Connors Park is getting an Argo Tea after all. Ald. Reilly announced that Argo will setup shop there in exchange for maintaining the park.

I like this... it should be more accommodating for the homeless who like to hang out there.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 8:02 PM

lmao @george

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/6899981-417/...hite-glow.html

City switching to street lamps that cast a white glow
BY DARRYL HOLLIDAY Staff Reporter
August 5, 2011

The yellow-orange street lamp glow Chicagoans have become accustomed to over the years is going the way of the "pretty blue lights" of Lake Shore Drive once commemorated in song.

The blue lights along Lake Shore Drive - mercury-vapor streetlamps used into the '70s - gave way to the yellow-orange lights currently used in most of the city, sodium-vapor street lamps. This week, however, the Chicago Department of Transportation announced it is installing new, energy efficient lighting on street lamps and traffic signals, which casts a white glow on city streets.

The new, metal-halide lights will use less energy than the current streetlamps. Chicago, according to CDOT officials, is the first large U.S. city to install the relatively new technology en masse. City officials estimate an annual $1.8 million in electrical cost savings ...
It's weird....seeing the trees actually appearing green at night. And I'm also impressed how much brighter the alley is behind my building.

Next step, permeable pavers.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:36 AM

8-9

Looks like another little facade project on Ohio and Orleans.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
8-9

Looks like another little facade project on Ohio and Orleans.
ugh, they need to facade project other buildings in this neighborhood instead.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:09 AM
Urbane observer

^Probably just repairs. Chicago's façade ordinance is pretty tough on masonry buildings after some spectacular delaminations in the 90s.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:44 AM

^ Good to know. The above building to me IS Chicago, I like it the way it is.

Speaking of building overhauls, that Mather Building should be nearing completion soon. I can see the top of it from my office. If you peak through a hole in the tarps you can see the new facade which appears to be limestone and glass. A new stair tower and elevator were added in a rear addition to the building. New wood framing was installed inside, and the roof was raised a little higher. With all those improvements, they shouldn't have any problems securing a tenant.

I also noticed today that the Michigan / Oak pedway has been closed off forever because of lack of use, safety concerns, and deteriorating conditions.

I hope that whenever they rebuild LSD someday, they'll build one of those huge bridge / tunnel things that they have around grant park. In the meantime the new artwork on the pedway walls in an improvement

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:47 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Speaking of building overhauls, that Mather Building should be nearing completion soon. I can see the top of it from my office. If you peak through a hole in the tarps you can see the new facade which appears to be limestone and glass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development