HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
Though there are many people who enjoy the rodeo (mostly big hemi truck driving rednecks if you look at rexal's parking lot) there are many others who laugh at Alberta's love of rodeo and country bars...
See? Urbanites on this continent trash talk the rural folk all the time, but in reality, if you go almost anywhere else in the world and point out where Edmonton is on a map, and they happen to know that we have rodeo here, people will actually find that interesting, different, and exotic.

Personally, rodeos bore me as well, and I have no interest in horse-riding, ranching, pickup trucks, country music, nor farming. But if I am traveling and meet someone in Tokyo or Singapore and they imagine me, back home in a bar in Edmonton or Alberta where everyone is wearing jeans, everyone is drinking beer (even the girls), guys in cowboy hats are giving flowers to the girls, and couples are two-stepping to loud country music, they wouldn't be too far off-base.

And despite the fact that you hate rodeo so much and choose to call rodeo fans insulting names like "big hemi driving rednecks", that whole image is a part of who YOU are and where you are from. And you should learn to accept that it is an element of our own unique place in the world, and there is absolutely nothing wrong, nor embarrassing about that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton