HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 1:11 AM
BANNED

New 70,000 square foot grocery store continues downtown Toronto's supermarket boom

Some of the other supermarkets that have opened in downtown Toronto the last 2-3 years include a 48,000 square foot Longo's at Maple Leaf Square, a 24-hour Sobey's at Cityplace, a 24-hour Sobey's at Regent Park, a 24-hour Sobey's at Front and Princess Streets, and several smaller Sobey's locations. There were plans to turn an old distribution warehouse at Lakeshore/Bathurst into an 80,000 square foot Loblaws superstore as well. I'm not sure if that might still happen.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

Hundreds show up for Loblaws opening at MLG

With anticipation building through the week, people began lining up Tuesday at 7 p.m. to be the first customers to enter the historic building, once home to the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, since an ambitious $60-million redevelopment project was announced in 2009.

The lineup grew Wednesday morning, bringing back memories of the old days when people lined outside the building for Maple Leafs games, concerts and other events.

Nancy, a customer who didn't give her last name, joined the lineup at 5 a.m.

"We want to see what's happening in the neighbourhood and check out the old building and see what's happened to it," said Nancy, who was planning to head straight to the so-called wall of cheese that is drawing plenty of curiosity.

The building hasn't seen this much buzz since the Maple Leafs played their final game there in 1999 before moving to the Air Canada Centre.

In addition to a 70,000-square foot Loblaws that features fancy food products, a chef's kitchen and tea emporium, the building is home to an LCBO, Joe Fresh clothing store and athletic facilities for Ryerson, including a 2,600-seat ice rink on the top floor and volleyball and basketball courts on the second floor.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 2:05 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

So "most expensive urban areas" is an unsuitable topic within "City Discussions," but a thread about a chain grocery store opening somewhere in Toronto passes the test?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 2:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
So "most expensive urban areas" is an unsuitable topic within "City Discussions," but a thread about a chain grocery store opening somewhere in Toronto passes the test?
Where did I say "most expensive urban areas" was an unsuitable topic within City Discussions? Here'e an idea: if you don't like the topic, don't open or respond to it rather than whining that you don't think it's suitable.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:02 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
I agree, fflint. This has no place in City Discussions, just like the thread about San Diego needing a new "showpiece", or whatever that thread was... This belongs in the Canada forums, unless it was part of a thread, say, about urban supermarkets, in which case it would be entirely appropriate.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:07 AM

Another day, another bitchfest about a Toronto-related thread. Funny, y'all don't whine so much about the threads about NYC, Vancouver, etc.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:12 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Another day, another bitchfest about a Toronto-related thread. Funny, y'all don't whine so much about the threads about NYC, Vancouver, etc.
I like Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver, too, although my favorite Canadian city is Quebec. Anyway, I apologize for seemingly bitching about Toronto or JWill, when really I'm just exasperated by weird moderation issues around here regarding what can and cannot be discussed. Please carry on.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:18 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
a chain grocery store opening somewhere in Toronto

This isn't just any chain grocery store though - this is part of a mixed-use redevelopment of the Maple Leaf Gardens, former home of the Leafs (and thus, a "Shrine of Hockey"). Also, one of the nicest grocery stores I've ever seen (pics here, here, and here).

But regardless, probably not relevant for the international forum.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 1:57 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Seriously? a new supermarket is thread worthy?

wtf?

this thread is on par with a thread from yearrrrsss ago about new park benches in Detroit.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 2:23 PM

Spectacular supermarket in an iconic building, but I might have put the thread in the "General Developments" forum.

BTW, the cheeses! OMG!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 2:55 PM

I think this thread brings up an interesting discussion however. And that is, are we really that happy with the continued suburbanization of our downtowns?

Downtown Toronto has always had amazing places to purchase food, be it the special market districts, or even the couple supermarkets that were always downtown.

But does opening a supermarket on every single corner add to downtown. I don't think so. It just makes it more a boring place and continues the trend of making downtown no more different than the places it so loves to say it is not.

And to be honest, I think a landmark like Maple Leaf Gardens should have been used for something else that really would be a regional draw and allow all residents to enjoy it while celebrating its heritage. A chain supermarket does not do that.

If i want over 400 kinds of cheese, I will go to St. Lawrence Market or Kensington Market, where I can support local downtown business, and enjoy an even wider selection. Being in that Loblaws, you could be anywhere.

So yeah I don't really know how much of a celebration this is.
I am not against supermarkets. I use supermarkets sometimes, and also the market districts. But I really don't get excited about yet another place downtown being turned into a carbon copy of the suburbs.

When people used to move downtown 15 or 20 years ago, it was because they loved the urban lifestyle and wanted to be part of the downtown lifestyle and economy. They were proud of the fact that they supported places like St. Lawerence Market or Kenzington Market. Now people are moving downtown and want a superstore Loblaws that they can drive to once a week as if they are living in the suburbs. That I am sorry is not what makes a great downtown. And I know plenty of people who moved downtown who do just that. They have not stepped food in the areas that make downtown so interesting in probably years. They really might as well be living in the suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 4:59 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
When people used to move downtown 15 or 20 years ago, it was because they loved the urban lifestyle and wanted to be part of the downtown lifestyle and economy.

15 or 20 years ago, people weren't moving (or visiting) downtown in droves. The existing "amazing places to purchase food" are simply not enough for the present population. New grocery stores like this Loblaws aren't coming at the expense of Kensington and St. Lawrence - they're adding to the options, and actually making an "urban lifestyle" easier to live, as you now have tens of thousands more people who've got a grocery store within walking distance.

Also, this particular store is about as far from "suburban" as you can get. It has more in common with St. Lawrence Market than it does the typical suburban big box supermarket.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I like Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver, too, although my favorite Canadian city is Quebec. Anyway, I apologize for seemingly bitching about Toronto or JWill, when really I'm just exasperated by weird moderation issues around here regarding what can and cannot be discussed. Please carry on.
I wasn't singling you out. I was just pointing out that there is complaints every time a Toronto thread is created here. I don't think this belong here either, but the complaints are hard to take seriously when the other Toronto threads get complaints too. Seems like knee-jerk reaction.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 9:47 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I wasn't singling you out. I was just pointing out that there is complaints every time a Toronto thread is created here. I don't think this belong here either, but the complaints are hard to take seriously when the other Toronto threads get complaints too. Seems like knee-jerk reaction.
Doady, the complaints here are very much thread-specific, not referring to former Toronto threads. You're right, there have been complaints in those former threads (hell, most of them have become a train-wreck full of attacks, insults, and abject homerism!), but none of that has anything to do with this one.

Can someone please just form a thread about urban grocery stores/supermarkets, so this thread can be merged into it?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 10:30 PM

A greater discussion can be had about urban food options in large cities. Many Cities don't have any type of grocers present in their core. Toronto is doing the opposite. We can look at what factors are driving this.. is it simply just population growth in the core? (I personally think its more things than that). No reason to get cranky since its about Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 11:26 PM
BANNED

I forgot that Loblaws also just opened another full-sized supermarket on the other side of downtown in a new development and Queen and Portland. This site was a parking lot and now has a large loft/retail development:

photo courtesy jasonzzed:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions