HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Does aging improve beer like wine and liquor? Old beer turns stale, especially if unrefrigerated. I'll stick with unaged Brew 102. Delish.
I quickly poked around the internet for an answer to your question.
1 Beer can get "skunky" with age. So, fresher is better
2 Some beer drinkers will intentionally age cans of beer and drink those cans after pull date.
3 Beer might have a metal taste if it's in the can too long.
4 "High alcohol" beers (9% Alcohol per volume) are designed for aging.
5 I personally would not age cans of beer on a bet. I've had thin aluminum cans of both pop and beer open up on me while stored in a garage closet. What a mess. And I would not bet that the pop or beer was wholesome prior to spraying all over the garage cabinet. I leave the lagering to the pros and drink what they create without improving on it. Few things improve with freezing or aging at home.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

The Phoenix Bakery and South China Gifts in 1941.

Google Books - Chinatown in Los Angeles by Jenny Cho

Here is the original drawing for that corner of the New Chinatown. [1936-37]

huntington

Buildings for Mr. You Chung Hong by architects Erle Webster & Adrian Wilson made for the rebuilding of Los Angeles’ New Chinatown (1936-40s). In the mid-1930s, all of Old Chinatown was torn down to make way for Union Station. Many of the displaced families and businesses went to the nearby 900 block of North Broadway and developed New Chinatown. The drawings by Webster & Wilson show the development of this historic area of Los Angeles through survey records, street plans and drawings for buildings for Y. C. Hong.

And here are two alternative designs for the same corner.

huntington

huntington

..............................................................................The client, You Chung Hong

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I imagine most of the attractive young women are ingenues & starlets from First National Pictures.

It would be so great to go back in time and meet some of these people.

I wonder what these people from almost 100 years ago would think of our times? What would amaze them the most? I would guess pocket supercomputers posing as a phone, instant worldwide communications and the internet, more than even jet and space travel. Would they choose to live in our times, or go back to theirs? It would be nice to be a time tourist and go on a vacation in the past or future, but there's no place like home. Couple of good "Twilight Zone" episodes on this topic. It boggles my mind when I realize that my high school graduation in 1969 was closer to 1927 than to today. 42 years to 1927, 50 years from today. My birth year, 1952, was only 23 years after the 1929 crash. Time flies and one day you look in the mirror and see an old man.

Last edited by CaliNative; Yesterday at 10:57 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealberke View Post
I quickly poked around the internet for an answer to your question.
1 Beer can get "skunky" with age. So, fresher is better
2 Some beer drinkers will intentionally age cans of beer and drink those cans after pull date.
3 Beer might have a metal taste if it's in the can too long.
4 "High alcohol" beers (9% Alcohol per volume) are designed for aging.
5 I personally would not age cans of beer on a bet. I've had thin aluminum cans of both pop and beer open up on me while stored in a garage closet. What a mess. And I would not bet that the pop or beer was wholesome prior to spraying all over the garage cabinet. I leave the lagering to the pros and drink what they create without improving on it. Few things improve with freezing or aging at home.
As I suspected. Old beer is generally bad beer, except possibly for the higher alcohol brews. I guess the alcohol (and refrigeration) keeps the bad microbes away. As far as aluminum cans goes, I prefer bottled beer over canned beers. Some of the aluminum and can lining polymers must leach into the beer. Plastic even worse. Thankfully I'm not aware of any beer in plastic bottles like soda pop and bottled water.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:35 PM

At a dinner party I was given an old Michelob that tasted rather funky so I held it up to a light and could see 'sea monkeys' swimming around. ...
After that, I make sure to check the date on any beer I am about to drink.

.......................................................................................

..............................................................................................It was actually sediment floating around.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Yesterday at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:49 PM

A general question on uploading from Photobucket, in a recent post of mine the images were far too large, and a scroll bar appeared....

I asked Photobucket support about the issue, they suggested the following:

"You can add ?width="1024" height="768" at the end of your image links. You can adjust the width and height to your preference."

Anyone else have this issue?...the Photobucket solution is really not that much of an imposition, just wondering if there is a way to change the settings where the images would appear properly sized, as they had in the past.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:19 PM

I've been using Photobucket for years (and have the scars to prove it!). You used to be able to display larger images by having the suffix ~original on the filename (otherwise they were scaled to 1024px wide or high), but I think that stopped in one of the last site overhauls. To be honest, since then I've been scaling my images to 1024x768 or smaller, and wasn't sure whether I could still display larger files. I'll have to experiment with your suggestion over the weekend. Thanks for the tip, riichkay.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:58 PM

Original snapshot - Chinatown, Los Angeles c 1946

There's the mural again!

eBay

It looks like it might be a special occasion for the couple. The lady is wearing a corsage.

By the look on their faces it must be their anniversary.

detail

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Yesterday at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:41 PM

Quote:
At a dinner party I was given an old Michelob that tasted rather funky so I held it up to a light and could see 'sea monkeys' swimming around. ...
After that, I make sure to check the date on any beer I am about to drink.

.......................................................................................

..............................................................................................It was actually sediment floating around.

Ha E.R. Are you sure it wasn't those four shots of tequila you had before the beer that helped you see the sea monkeys?

My skunky beer story - When I was stationed in Taiwan in 1974, the military brought the beer in on ships. That meant that the beer was kept warm for the slow trip over. All the beer in cans was skunky. The only beer in bottles was Michelob, which wasn't too bad. Not much skunk taste and no sea monkeys either.

Last edited by FredH; Yesterday at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Today, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Ha E.R. Are you sure it wasn't those four shots of tequila you had before the beer that helped you see the sea monkeys?

My skunky beer story - When I was stationed in Taiwan in 1974, the military brought the beer in on ships. That meant that the beer was kept warm for the slow trip over. All the beer in cans was skunky. The only beer in bottles was Michelob, which wasn't too bad. Not much skunk taste and no sea monkeys either.

ltr

SS Lane Victory....one of those beer transport ships sits in LA Harbor ...She's open to visitors daily.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Today at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Today, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Here is a truly phenomenal photograph of the Swanfeldt Tent & Awning Co. at 220 S. Main in downtown Los Angeles.....eBay

eBay

What's up with the string?....Who's dat upstairs? . . .the young Swanfeldt family?
As you asked many a question in this and subsequent post, I thought I'd zoom in on a few interesting tidbits.

First of all, thought I'd float a theory. Why all the patriotic bunting? Well, here's a May 1901 ad for the Fiesta de las Flores, and it's Swanfeldt's for all your patriotic bunting needs, especially since we have an "honored guest":

Thus maybe they were all turned out for the Presidential visit. I think that also answers the question of "what's with the string?" — though it was not string, but wire. Here is a snippet that talks about McKinley's parade cruising along Main Street, and about the wires that were erected to keep parade-watchers back:

Anyway, let's take a look at that baby—or is it?

Guess we'll never know! Check out mysterious inviso-face guy:

And this lady, who totally did it with Martin Van Buren when she was sixteen:

There's this incredible Odd Fellows lamp in the doorway—

And this one above, of the "Friendship, Love & Truth" interlocking oval rings symbol of the order, done with incandescent bulbs—

But mostly I love these two fellows, who apparently have fashioned sleeves for themselves out of awning material—

Guy on the right is like an even more badass version of Lee Marvin in the Wild One, which you wouldn't think possible, but there you are

Old Posted Today, 1:51 AM

You really brought the photograph to life for us, Beaudry. ...Thanks so much!

Old Posted Today, 4:35 AM

Ah, Lee Marvin in The Wild One. What a performance, playing somebody who was thrown out of Marlin Brando's motorcycle gang as a social undesirable.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Today, 2:33 PM

Swanfeldt Tent & Awning Co.

A man walks into Swanfeldt Tent & Awning Co. in 1915.

Store Assistant : What kind of tent have you in mind Sir?

Man: Oh no ... tents are way too easy to get out of ... I'm thinking more along the lines of ...

christies.com

Sold for 30,000 Sterling in 2011.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos